SL 280

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black 07 CLS AMG 6.3 and Audi Q7 previously a Blue 1998 SL280 and 1994 SL500 plus a Chipped CL500
The drivers window on my 98 SL280 drops a few millimeters when the door is opened as it is designed to do.. but will not always come back up once the door has been closed again

However if I put my back against the door handle and push the door in slightly
the window will then close.. so presumably something in the locking mechanism is not working properly

I have tried adjusting the door locking plate but to no avail.. anyone (Television)
know what will cure this apart from another massive bill from Mercedes ??

Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The switch is part of the door lock and it could just need cleaning.

They are not easy to get to, but possible, the only way to clean a micro switch is to pour lighter fuel in through the button in the switch.

Sadly for the time being I have no means to post anything

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Personally I would not do anything with lighter fluid near something which would create a spark. :shock:

I would see if the switch is seated properly in the console and whether the loom may possibly and I'm hypothesising here, have come loose behind the door card connecting to the window motor. Failing this maybe take it to a good auto electrician to see if they can diagnose the problem.

OP
T

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black 07 CLS AMG 6.3 and Audi Q7 previously a Blue 1998 SL280 and 1994 SL500 plus a Chipped CL500
Thanks once again for the advice Malcolm.. is this Micro switch in the door pillar part of the locking mechanism or in the actual door itself ?

Merc have changed all the mechanical window components in the door without resolving the problem.. so by process of elimination this has to be where the problem lies and will charge me a fortune for a component costing pennies from Maplin !!.. grrrr :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Personally I would not do anything with lighter fluid near something which would create a spark. :shock:

I would see if the switch is seated properly in the console and whether the loom may possibly and I'm hypothesising here, have come loose behind the door card connecting to the window motor. Failing this maybe take it to a good auto electrician to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Well you do not know much about car electrics do you,,, I have survived using it for 60 years, it is not explosive in any manner at all and dries in seconds :D:D

Its nothing to do with any switch in any console, please do not start your undermining again, I know very well what I am talking about here

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Lighter fuel, could it mark or melt any of the plastics involved?

There must be a proprietary product better suited to the job!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks once again for the advice Malcolm.. is this Micro switch in the door pillar part of the locking mechanism or in the actual door itself ?

Merc have changed all the mechanical window components in the door without resolving the problem.. so by process of elimination this has to be where the problem lies and will charge me a fortune for a component costing pennies from Maplin !!.. grrrr :(

It is on the actual door lock and this has to be unbolted,,, in extreme cases I have used a hypodermic needle to inject non drying switch cleaner into the switch. Sadly nothing in WIS on this that I can send, it could be just the lever bent on the micro switch, hence it works when you press it

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Malcolm I think you'll find the clue is in the name, it's called lighter fluid for a reason, I wouldnt put it near anything that generates a spark unless you want the OP to catch fire. You're not an autoelectrician and neither am I, so lets just leave it at that.

OP
T

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is actually a good auto electrician I used before just outside of Stockport.. so think i'll take your advice and let him take a look first.. it's cost me at least £600 so far without a fix.. so for another 50 quid I may just get a result

I'll make sure I disconnect the battery before using the lighter fluid tho' .. this is so frustrating when you take a Merc to a Merc main dealer and they cannot fix the thing !!

Cheers
M

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lighter fuel, could it mark or melt any of the plastics involved?

There must be a proprietary product better suited to the job!

Please do not say what you do not know, lighter fuel hurts nothing ever, it is not normal petrol, just a cheap and cheerful thing to use,m as said I have used it for 60 years and its never hurt a thing

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Unless they're enthusiasts they dont tend to know their way around older models so if it cant be plugged in they cant help you. Hope you get things sorted.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm I think you'll find the clue is in the name, it's called lighter fluid for a reason, I wouldnt put it near anything that generates a spark unless you want the OP to catch fire. You're not an autoelectrician and neither am I, so lets just leave it at that.

I have used it in TV mains switches for 60 years and nothing has ever caught fire.

I am a very qualified electronics engineer, so I will not leave it at that. You are a wind up merchant

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Please do not say what you do not know, lighter fuel hurts nothing ever, it is not normal petrol, just a cheap and cheerful thing to use,m as said I have used it for 60 years and its never hurt a thing

The clue is in the question marks Malcolm! No need to jump on your high horse.

Where does one buy lighter fuel these days? Still must be better to use the correct product?

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Malcolm I do believe the OP doesnt need hazardous advice which may cause harm, just because you have used it in mains electrics, doesnt mean it wont cause him any harm does it, or are you advocating that he injures himself?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The clue is in the question marks Malcolm! No need to jump on your high horse.

Where does one buy lighter fuel these days? Still must be better to use the correct product?

I am not jumping on any high horse, you buy it from tobacco shops.

NW merc is here as a wind up again, and so are you, you try and make rubbish out of what I have been doing for years you know nothing about micro switches do you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm I do believe the OP doesnt need hazardous advice which may cause harm, just because you have used it in mains electrics, doesnt mean it wont cause him any harm does it, or are you advocating that he injures himself?

it is not hazardous you silly man, stop talking of what you do not know

OP
T

The Sat Diver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the info Malcolm.. when I think about it the car was left sitting outside for some 3 months when the problem first started so it may well just be crud building up or as you say the lever bent..
I have plenty of Contact cleaner.. WD40.. lighter fluid so will probably end up trying the lot before parting with wads of dosh
Doubt if it's dodgy wiring as Merc have been in the door replacing all the mechanical components and "hopefully" would have sorted that out

Cheers
M

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Ifr you knew anything about this subject you would know that its impossible to get it in the switch

Then should one be pouring lighter fluid "willy-nilly" into space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom