R230 SL rear screen leak?

Triarii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Silver R231 350SL Corris Grey L405 FFRR Autobiog
After having my SL in for a leak via the blower motor drain overflow which knackered the rollbar and roof modules, it appears (or so the Indy says) that the latest leak into the drivers footwell and carpet behind the seat is through the rear screen somewhere - they want me to go down to have a talk through.

Anyone experienced this route for water ingress? I noticed the other day that the underside of the boot lid was wet on the right hand side, where the mechanism and that interior-coloured flap is that "fills in" on the corner when the roof is down. Is this related?

I'd previously done the fix to the seal at the lower edge of the rear screen, with the two bits of hosepipe etc.

blaser24nig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Stunning SL350 - Gone
There are so so so many threads on this, just use the search function and its all there...

OP
Triarii

Triarii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Searched the threads but none cover water getting into the back 'seat' area.

Anyway, findings of the local Indy were:

Water got in through the seal at the base of the rear screen.
Water got in through the seal being deformed above the small side window on the RHS.

Water got in to the boot through the buffers on the front corners of the boot lid being worn away (open the boot and on the underside of the boot right in the pointy corners there are grey strips about 3" long). Explains the wet underside of the boot lid on the RHS.

Apparently enough rain came in to get through into the rear of the drivers side and soak the carpet.

Said that as their workshop wasn't heated they couldn't do it until spring when it was warmer so the seals went on better. Put a cover on the car until then.

Bits came to about £800 inc VAT. Lots of labour.....

Apart from the seal over the door the other things have DIY instructions and wotnot on here, though not the corner buffers though they look simple.

Any comments or other ideas or places to go? (South West). Prefer to get it fixed before spring!

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Where are you......any good GTG could help you with a check and a suggestion [ or 10!]

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Searched the threads but none cover water getting into the back 'seat' area.

Anyway, findings of the local Indy were:

Water got in through the seal at the base of the rear screen.
Water got in through the seal being deformed above the small side window on the RHS.

Water got in to the boot through the buffers on the front corners of the boot lid being worn away (open the boot and on the underside of the boot right in the pointy corners there are grey strips about 3" long). Explains the wet underside of the boot lid on the RHS.

Apparently enough rain came in to get through into the rear of the drivers side and soak the carpet.

Said that as their workshop wasn't heated they couldn't do it until spring when it was warmer so the seals went on better. Put a cover on the car until then.

Bits came to about £800 inc VAT. Lots of labour.....

Apart from the seal over the door the other things have DIY instructions and wotnot on here, though not the corner buffers though they look simple.

Any comments or other ideas or places to go? (South West). Prefer to get it fixed before spring!

You did not really need any bits, I would have done it for you in 2 hours so that it would never leak again

OP
Triarii

Triarii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm,

I haven't had it done as they said their place was too cold until the spring. Should have said "Bits would be £800..."

Can I bring it to yours for a fix then? Happy to recompense!:D

Guess I didn't do the rear right when I had the chance!

Is the corner buffer thing a known issue too?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can only do it in the spring owing to having Lilian to look after and it needs to be very dry

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
What happens to Lillian in the spring?

OP
Triarii

Triarii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok Malcolm, if you're willing, I'll be in touch in the spring. 15 deg C sounds like a UK summer though!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok Malcolm, if you're willing, I'll be in touch in the spring. 15 deg C sounds like a UK summer though!

I have warm air guns, and early in the spring is fine, I did this one in April for a member

DSC_0036.jpg

OP
Triarii

Triarii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow. Nice drive ornaments.

I'm off to get mine back, and get a car cover (and some cheap towels to mop up!) to keep it dry for the winter. Shame, as I like getting the roof down on any sunny day, whatever the temperature.

See if I can get those buffer things. Paint is wearing on the very point of the boot on one side.

See you in the spring!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are adjustable screw in stop that will alter the height of the boot lid at the window end, there are screw out adjustable stops on the tail end

OP
Triarii

Triarii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The little things with a single screw in them that face inwards and are parked just under where the pointy bit of the boot lid fits?

They have witness marks showing they are getting worn. Wonder if I should lower them as the boot lid pointy bits may fit better against the seal then?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To get to the front ones 10mm screw with a rubber buffer top, just start to lower the roof, the turn off once the boot lid has opened, you can then lift the boot lid back and you have the 1 screw each side, screwing them out will raise the boot lid at each side, they should be set so that the lid is flush with the top of the wing.

To set the rear end there are two large plastic screws in the rear inside edge of the boot lid and these are turned in or out so that the rear end is level with the top or the rear part of the wing.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but none of these will cause any water to enter the boot.

If you mean somewhere else then a picture is needed

OP
Triarii

Triarii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Leak seems to be at the front of the boot, at the pointy front bit, but from the seal on the edge of the boot i.e nearest the wing rather than nearest the rear screen. Is this related to the bottom of the screen thing and the water tracks round or something?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom