Flat Battery Issue/Other ad hoc enquiries

cheshireE220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI / 2003 / 2.2 turbo diesel
I returned from a 5 week holiday to find my car would not start. Called out MB under the MobiloLife assistance as my 2003 9 year-old E220 CDI has full MB history from new. The car was jump started and I took it for a long drive the next day (around 150 miles). Today the MB Technician checked the battery and it did not fly through the test - but it did not say the battery is in need of replacement. My question is: If it needs replacement should I choose a new MB battery at £150 or an OEM or high quality Bosch/Varta battery from ATS/Kwik-Fit? I was told that if it has a flat battery and the MobiloLife Technician is called out, it will not be covered for assistance and I will incur a call-out charge of £150! Is this MobiloLife thing worth keeping now that the car is entering its 10th year and it doesn't cover puncture repairs or run out of fuel situations? I am thinking of switching to an independent as the last service at MB in March 2012 was for £775! My weekend car is a Porsche Turbo and I have that looked after by a very good independent in Cheshire to Porsche standards with Porsche/OEM parts at a frction of the labour charges of Porsche OPC's. Does anyone recommend a good indie to look after my MB - I want to have only MB/OEM parts, full access to the electronic diagnostic equipment and someone who really knows these cars inside out.

Sorry its a bit lengthy as a first post, but if its anyhting like the UK911 forum, I look forward to help from other owners of MB.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, first there is no such thing as an OEM battery, and correct they will charge for worn out batteries.

Modern battery construction does lend itself to a useless battery if its been allowed to go completely flat for a few days.

Makes fitted by MBs are Bosch, Banner and varta, Exide are very good.
For a very good deal right now go to any branch of Euro Car Parts and you will get one for around £70

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Had one fitted to my 203...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
:D :D Mercedes don't make any of the consumables but they do apply their label and endorsement to show it's fully compatible.

I think it's the easy answer and often the cheaper too! :D :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:D :D Mercedes don't make any of the consumables but they do apply their label and endorsement to show it's fully compatible.

I think it's the easy answer and often the cheaper too! :D :D

They still cannot get anywhere near the ECP prices for Bosch batteries

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...ship/maintenance/genuine_parts/batteries.html

Mercedes do fit their own batteries and have done for quite a few years, although they may recommend other makes they do produce their own branded batteries as shown in the link.

As above: Mercedes do not actually make the "Mercedes" batteries, although I found that their batteries did last longer than an equivalent Bosch one. Maybe they don't have the same specs as the Bosch public models.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB Swindon beat all local prices in my case! :D :D

Well they would wouldn't they, even the special price that ECP have been doing like the 80amp Bosch that cost me £54,,,,,MB swindon probably sell it for £10 to you

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Well they would wouldn't they, even the special price that ECP have been doing like the 80amp Bosch that cost me £54,,,,,MB swindon probably sell it for £10 to you

Now, you're just being silly Malcolm :rolleyes:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
No it just gets silly when ECP are offering the best prices that you will ever find

On a cold foggy morning, needing to get away to an appointment, EPC were offering nothing of help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On a cold foggy morning, needing to get away to an appointment, EPC were offering nothing of help.

Fortunately most buy a battery before it fails completely, and not all members belong to Moblo, plus as in my case moblo was useless. Most would miss their appointment buy the time moblo had got there and sorted it

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Fortunately most buy a battery before it fails completely, and not all members belong to Moblo, plus as in my case moblo was useless. Most would miss their appointment buy the time moblo had got there and sorted it

They do? Why? And how do they know to?

If they do, well done :) But it's in the "emergency" situation that Mobilo comes into it's own. Or the AA / RAC...

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
So, you didn't replace the battery before it failed completely?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
So, you didn't replace the battery before it failed completely?

Not straight away, I didn't need to, it's not my daily driver. There's A N Other
battery on it now, but it does need a more suited Ahr battery fitting.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I'm thinking I need to use a battery maintenance charger on my CLS. Just doesn't get the mileage needed to keep the battery fully charged

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
I'm thinking I need to use a battery maintenance charger on my CLS. Just doesn't get the mileage needed to keep the battery fully charged

I got an accumate plugged into my W202 for the winter, it's a really good unit. Quite cheap (ish) too

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom