Class confusion

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Hi folks

I'm trying to get my head around all the model variants/classes of Mercedes cars. I think I have the A and B class sussed, as well as the SLK (of course) and SL class. I also know of the CLS as I love this car and want one!

The rest is a bit of a confusion. Am I right in assuming that the futher up the alphabet, the better the spec of car? So, your E class would cost mega bucks and be a top spec car?
What for example would be an equivelant small family car, sporty family car, company car, executive car etc etc?

The A and B class are 'compacts'. The rest Im at a loss with :confused:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
This might help with definitions of the various classes.

Mercmodels.jpg

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Cheers for that. I see that the C class is the 'compact' range.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I'm cross referencing now on autotrader to see what these cars look like. I'm only looking from 2000 onwards as these are more likely to be about on our roads.
Cant believe how cheap 2002/3/4 S class are!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I'm cross referencing now on autotrader to see what these cars look like. I'm only looking from 2000 onwards as these are more likely to be about on our roads.
Cant believe how cheap 2002/3/4 S class are!

The 215 coupe version has also fallen to a very low figure, the trouble is they are all in the worst years for rust.

All cars are falling quite sharply these days, the market seams to be saturated, my CL500 2007 at 38k miles lost £75k from new

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
could also mean that new car prices are way too high. But I suppose they have to pay for the flashy showrooms somehow.

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
could also mean that new car prices are way too high. But I suppose they have to pay for the flashy showrooms somehow.

Not really. Car production is very competitive and profits are small. In fact many car makers lose money and a number have gone bankrupt in recent years. Have a look at DrivetheDeal and see the maasive discounts most are having to give with us and Europe in recession.

In addition, many car dealers have gone under in recent years. Tough world out there.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having had 3 C Class cars and 1 A Class there is no way I would describe a C Class as compact :lol:

You are right Lyn, the C is a full medium size car, and it always has been ;)

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
The C class appears to be the most popular/affordable? (After A + B class).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The C class appears to be the most popular/affordable? (After A + B class).

Yes all the Class from the 202 onwards have offered very comfortable motoring from this mid car range. Many love their 202's and I can understand why, they have the Mercedes magic touch and a good cabin, well above the average mid size car

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Having had 3 C Class cars and 1 A Class there is no way I would describe a C Class as compact :lol:

If you put me in the front, and then try to get comfy in the back, you will describe it as compact on the inside, The A class has a lot more legroom both front and rear. I need an E (or an A) if I want to take people in the back. The C is fine if the regular driver is not too long legged.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you put me in the front, and then try to get comfy in the back, you will describe it as compact on the inside, The A class has a lot more legroom both front and rear. I need an E (or an A) if I want to take people in the back. The C is fine if the regular driver is not too long legged.

Well I did sit in your A class and there was plenty of room for me and those behind, a very roomy hatch if there ever was one

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Have to say the A Class does have a lot of legroom for the size of the car, it's very deceptive. For us the C Class is about the right length but I can understand how if you drive with the seat right back, which is how Keith tends to drive, anyone sitting behind might be a bit cramped. However from the outside the car looks a good size. I guess you could say the A Class is like a Tardis and the C Class is a Tardis in reverse :lol:

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Would I be correct in saying that a Mercedes family car would be better equiped than say a Ford family car just because its a Mercedes which is reflected in tbe price tag? Not forgetting the 'quality' build of course :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would I be correct in saying that a Mercedes family car would be better equiped than say a Ford family car just because its a Mercedes which is reflected in tbe price tag? Not forgetting the 'quality' build of course :)

Not necessarily, it the way that an MB drives, my friends new Focus has lnguartronic, and about as useless as could be, there is nothing wrong with his car, it just does not have that nice feel about it, the Mercedes feel if thats the right word

mxs

Reaction score
IMHO Ford cars are underated, they offer good value for money versus the MB range. I have just changed from a Jaguar XF back to a Merc, and it was like meeting up with an old friend. I cannot put my finger on it, but there is something special about MB cars.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

I'd agree with this. I'm 6ft tall exactly. I used to be able to be a passenger in the back of my E class (a few times I was driven in it) and it was comfy.

I tried the back of the C and it's tifht. Fine for small kids and for adults on a small run but the E or above in saloons estates is what you need if you carry passengers regularly.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Not necessarily, it the way that an MB drives, my friends new Focus has lnguartronic, and about as useless as could be, there is nothing wrong with his car, it just does not have that nice feel about it, the Mercedes feel if thats the right word

The moment I began the test drive of my SLK I thought to myself " this feels nice". Not to put a 'snobby' tone to this coment but I knew I was driving a Mercedes, a 11 yr old Mercedes that felt incredibly nice to drive. :)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom