Mercedes Atego 1528 '01 and CAN bus (fuel level reading)

Seekon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Atego 1528 '01
I`ll have to get readings from the truck about the fuel level and someone give me the idea to use CAN bus communication. The model of the truck is Atego 1528 and it`s from 2001. I really don't know much about CAN bus and I`m wondering if the truck got that option for communication.
Can anybody help me with information about that or info about the year when CAN bus is put in use for every Atego truck and so on. If CAN bus exist in this model from 2001 where to find the connector?

My back up idea is to get signal from the analog fuel gauge on the dash, but I don't want to open the dashboard so I need the path of the connection for the gauges. Where will be most convenient to get signal. Also - any ideas for the markings (names, numbers) of the cables for the fuel level gauge?

Thank you in advance!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You have posted just 2 weeks before I have finished an article on the Mercedes CAN bus, basically if the vehicle has a SAM, then it will have a CAN bus to go with it

OP
S

Seekon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Atego 1528 '01
You have posted just 2 weeks before I have finished an article on the Mercedes CAN bus, basically if the vehicle has a SAM, then it will have a CAN bus to go with it

Forgive my ignorance, but what is SAM? Some kind of subsystem or what. Can you tell me easy way to check for SAM or CAN bus? May be serial number with some data on it, or some kind of marker on the vehicle documentation? All help about that and my other question - getting signal from the analog fuel gauge on the dash (where to cut most efficient), will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Roxie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 350CDI 2012
24 Volt ststems do not have SAM's However they all have CAN Bus. I dont know how you would be able to get the fuel level though from here.

Why do you need it? I think that you would have to take the analogue signal from the level sensor. This is only available with the ignition on.

ChampionX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Atego
Hi guys, im from Argentina (sorry for my english).
Im working on a fleet management device, i managed to get information for all the J1939 (CAN-BUS) and J1708 buses and trucks.

The thing is that now i need to connect and get information from some mercedes benz atego, but he CAN protocol is not J1939.

television, do you have some information about the protocol?

Thanks, and sorry to bother you.

bye!

Last edited:

Murat

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Atego
Hi,
I'm trying to read J1939 data from Mercedes Atego truck. I could get all PGNs for fuel consumption,speed etc. except the fuel level.
I sniffed the network but cannot see the PGN FEFC which includes the fuel level of truck. Has anyone scceded to read the fuel level
from Atego trucks.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom