Gearbox reset

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Is there a gearbox reset for the 7G Box? I would like to "Educate" mine for my driving style if it's possible.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Only possible using STAR

The 'box continuously adapts to your "style" it has a relatively small "memory" so a short spot of enthusiastic driving would change it's behaviour

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can do nothing on STAR other than to set it up correctly (some can and some cannot) There were load of tales around on re setting the 722.6. they operate in the same way as the 722.6 box.

The engine is in constant contact with the box, this means they they automatically adapt to your driving style. They have to, say you are are driving hard along a motorway and come off to a 30mph limit, the engine is no longer being kicked down, the gearbox knows this, and the box changes leisurely once more.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I think you will find STAR is used to clear and "reset" the 'box memory. There is no other way of doing it. All these "press the throttle for nnn and then xyz" instructions do nothing.

The 'box will constantly adapt and usually over a relatively short distance. That said people's "style" doesn't tend to vary that much in normal day to day driving (as opposed to taking it on the track and then driving it home. There I think one would notice a significant change in shift points etc..)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But the OP does nor have problems so no point in clearing the memory, that is not what he asked.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The OP asked to reset the gearbox. The only way to reset the gearbox is using STAR. The gearbox will continuously adapt anyway so rather pointless, even after clearing the memory it will instantly start learning the current "style".

But to answer the OP's question, yes there is a way to reset the gearbox and that is by using STAR.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The OP asked to reset the gearbox. The only way to reset the gearbox is using STAR. The gearbox will continuously adapt anyway so rather pointless, even after clearing the memory it will instantly start learning the current "style".

But to answer the OP's question, yes there is a way to reset the gearbox and that is by using STAR.

You are not correct, he did not mean it in that way, he was referring to the the various threads that have been up on the 722.6 box and the various claims made by some by going through a set routine.

He asked I would like to "Educate" mine for my driving style if it's possible. and this has nothing to do with any setting on STAR for nothing exist on STAR for doing that

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
The car will probably have already learned the Pan Man as they constantly adapt and change shifting patterns on the way they are driven.

Whilst you can reset the adaptations on star, this is AFAIK only done when the fluid is changed.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Malcolm, re read post #2...

Also how do you become the arbiter on what the OP meant?

Oh, BTW the 7G box is a 722.9

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm, re read post #2...

Also how do you become the arbiter on what the OP meant?

Oh, BTW the 7G box is a 722.9

I have been on here long enough to read through the line.

Have I said that the box is not a 7g anywhere, No

You get on with it, you can never be wrong

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom