New user, advice needed on w202 gearbox

paul c180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
98 c180 sport
Hi there, I've had my c180 sport manual for nearly a year and although a bit slow, its bomb proof. its done 128 000 miles with 10000 of those whilst under my ownership with only 1 minor age related fault (rusty fuel pipe and fuel pump cradle). Its always had a clinking noise when changing gear which I just assumed was worn bearings in the box but it has never affected the changing of gears so I've never bothered investigating it. Over the last week there has developed a constant ringing noise like a school bell when the clutch is dipped( freewheeling) and a lot of new clinks and clunks when cruising along, in gear, clutch up. I plan to put a new clutch in it soon so am probably going to change the gearbox for a decent used item. Could anyone tell me whether all the c200/c180 boxes are interchangable or are there different versions ie facelift/nonfacelift. I believe mine is a facelift model. Could it possibly be a thrust/release bearing? It still selects gears perfectly. Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One always replaces the thrust bearing and plate together.

Welcome to you, they are a well loved car and have been very good

OP
P

paul c180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
98 c180 sport
Thanks, the clutch kit I have planned comes with plate and bearing, I'm just trying to get an idea of what is causing the noise and whether the gearbox replacement is necessary.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks, the clutch kit I have planned comes with plate and bearing, I'm just trying to get an idea of what is causing the noise and whether the gearbox replacement is necessary.

Thats a huge mileage, but there is nothing else in the bell housing so just a failed component making the noise.

Maybe someone that knows these boxes well can give a better answer, most are auto boxes

OP
P

paul c180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
98 c180 sport
I'm aiming for 200000 and I reckon with a bit of TLC she'll do it no probs... ;-)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom