5 speed Auto in top gear at 40mph

jprwno15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S 320 CDi
My W220 s Class seems to be in too high a gear at low speeds. If you try and accelerate gradually the car shudders as it struggles to pull away. if you accelerate more quickly its fine it changes down as it should.

I've tried to reset in the usual way but no diffeence.

If anyone can help it I would be very grateful.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Mine would be in top at 40 too...no problems though.

Vamps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Surly you would want to be in top gear at 40mph, if driving in urban areas for example, quick acceleration would need 'kick down' so you would have to floor it....:):):)

albertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 1993 petrol
shuddering at 40 mph

Hi, new kid on the block here. The type of shudder will assist in diagnosing.
Is the shudder sharp and well defined? If so the fault is likely to be ignition related. The spark plug cables may be shorting to earth due to high resistance.
Is the shudder softer, slurring? That may be transmission or fuel related.. It's more likely to be the former.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Hi, new kid on the block here. The type of shudder will assist in diagnosing.
Is the shudder sharp and well defined? If so the fault is likely to be ignition related. The spark plug cables may be shorting to earth due to high resistance.
Is the shudder softer, slurring? That may be transmission or fuel related.. It's more likely to be the former.

It's a diesel so no spark, my 220cdi, is normally in top at 40mph. It shouldn't struggle though, if I have a hill or any change it just drops down. Does yours change up and down ok in normal conditions ( changes in mine are a little sluggish feeling in the real cold until its gone a couple of miles and the oil has warmed a little ( mine was changed 30k miles and a year ago)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would think that the first port of call will be a fluid change, its possible that it has never been done

OP
J

jprwno15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S 320 CDi
Thanks for your comments. I will get the fluid and filter changed in January. The shuddering is only slight and as you accelerate or if you get an incline it then changes down and is fine.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Shuddering incicates the valeo fault but this didn't affect W220's?

Get the fluid changed in case there is coolant in there, although, its unlikely have a pokey around the radiator

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shuddering incicates the valeo fault but this didn't affect W220's?

Get the fluid changed in case there is coolant in there, although, its unlikely have a pokey around the radiator

That had crossed my mind Steve, although not on the list they can still leak, any car can where the rad has the box cooling inbuilt.

As the op will be spending something like £170 for the fluid and filter change, spending the £70 with MB for a glycol test could stop money being wasted

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Glad we are on the same page here.

I've driven many 5g cars and they don't judder unless its that valeo fault or the TC is on the way out. My old E220cdi sometimes did this and it was the TC had seen better days, had plenty of life left but had seen better days if that makes sense.

Could be either but they don't judder.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glad we are on the same page here.

I've driven many 5g cars and they don't judder unless its that valeo fault or the TC is on the way out. My old E220cdi sometimes did this and it was the TC had seen better days, had plenty of life left but had seen better days if that makes sense.

Could be either but they don't judder.

True,,, the Valeo symptoms are a humming or droning when pulling lightly at engine RPM of between 1400 and 2500

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I belive that that the w220's are a little harder on TC's than most. I have seen many occurrences of 220's with replacement tc's or a shuddering sensation.

OP
J

jprwno15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S 320 CDi
I have had the fluid and MAF replaced and its running just as it should.

Top Bottom