vaneo. are they any good?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Isla has been thinking of getting rid of the touran for something different for a while now. ive managed to talk her out of a freelander thankfully, although the Rav4 is still on her list of possibles, as is a B class at the right price/mileage.

she has seen a vaneo on autotrader and likes the look of them and the fact they have 'sliding' rear doors, as opposed to hinged (great for the kids etc) SO what do we need to look out for when we go to view any? shes looking for a diesel manual version with low mileage (80k max)

im assuming the usual rust issues apply, and the black death checks on the diesel, but is there anything else particular to this particular model or engine to look out for?

all advice much appreciated. thanks

yorkinmadoc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2002 270CDI
Hi, we had a Vaneo before we moved to France, and very much regret having sold it. It was a 170cdi and returned brilliant fuel economy, was comfortable, and we both enjoyed driving it. The seating position was much better for us than the 'A' class which we test drove.( I am 6 foot and built like a mountain and my wife 5'5" and slight )

Glad we did not have the pull out tray in the back as we felt it was a gimmick too far. The load bay is brilliant with a low threshold, the only problem is the tailgate is quite heavy and vulnerable to high winds when open, so watch your head! The sliding doors were it's crowning glory, why aren't all cars built this way! A great little car much underated in the UK.

It was simple to service, with only the oil filter a little difficult, ( you need the socket), everything else was fairly straight foward!

Hope this helps and best wishes if you buy one

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Does not this model suffer from quite bad rusting

GregMVF4

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E63 AMG S Estate, 2012 Panigale S Tricolore, 2016 SL400 Edition, '00 MVF4750, '07 MVF41000R,
My Father in Law's had 3 (for carting motorbikes about) first was long wheelbase, mid-body (petrol), 2nd was long wheelbase long body (3litre something petrol), current one is short/short v6 diesel.

Last one (57 plate) v first one (05) are chalk and cheese - build quality on earlier one was pants, lots of bits falling off etc, middle one was quick and very spacious, but pitched quite a bit (with 2 x 250lb bikes/tools, admittedly) and I once did an entire tank between Spa and Calais. Current one is really nice, and drives the best of all of them. Has 6 seats with table and fridge thing, so wife's sister has used it quite a bit for weekends with girlfriends and half a dozen children.

yorkinmadoc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2002 270CDI
Hi, GregMVF5 are those 'Vaneo's' that are unique to the UK as I am sure that mine only came in one lenght, and only with the 'A' class engines? Really interested as it was the lenght which was a problem and why we changed it for a Vito.

Yorkinmadoc

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
My Father in Law's had 3 (for carting motorbikes about) first was long wheelbase, mid-body (petrol), 2nd was long wheelbase long body (3litre something petrol), current one is short/short v6 diesel.

Last one (57 plate) v first one (05) are chalk and cheese - build quality on earlier one was pants, lots of bits falling off etc, middle one was quick and very spacious, but pitched quite a bit (with 2 x 250lb bikes/tools, admittedly) and I once did an entire tank between Spa and Calais. Current one is really nice, and drives the best of all of them. Has 6 seats with table and fridge thing, so wife's sister has used it quite a bit for weekends with girlfriends and half a dozen children.

I think you are getting mixed up here. Viano and vaneo!

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so it seems theyre great if you can find a rust free one. now for the big question. should i concentrate on trying to find a Vaneo within a sensible distance at a sensible price, or would you opt for the Rav4 instead?

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
difficult one there, ...RAV4 wont have a MB badge...that would be my deciding factor:lol:.....sorry i guess im not much help am i :lol::Oops:

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
difficult one there, ...RAV4 wont have a MB badge...that would be my deciding factor:lol:.....sorry i guess im not much help am i :lol::Oops:

thats what would decide it for me too, but i really dont want my other half ending up with a money pit, if i can help it! she has had the touran 4 years now and has asked me to help find a replacement.

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
Rav4 seem to have a good reliable rep so buy on price and condition....and just hope its goy a MB badge if your lucky...Kat had a Touran for a few years and they really are a cracking car...the new one will have a lot to live up to!!!

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rav4 seem to have a good reliable rep so buy on price and condition....and just hope its goy a MB badge if your lucky...Kat had a Touran for a few years and they really are a cracking car...the new one will have a lot to live up to!!!

this touran has had, what seems to be typical VW nowadays, electrical issues in the past. all sorted now, but this is the second TDi VW my other half has had, both being plagued by electrical gremlins, plus the 2 VW built ford galaxy's my sister has had (rebadged sharan) which also had extensive electrical gremlins. all is well now and has been for a while BUT she feels she doesnt want to spend any more on it now, so is looking for a replacement. its got 166k miles on it and has had new turbo, various electronic boxes and wiring repairs, etc.

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
she has seen a vaneo on autotrader and likes the look of them and the fact they have 'sliding' rear doors, as opposed to hinged (great for the kids etc) SO what do we need to look out for when we go to view any? shes looking for a diesel manual version with low mileage (80k max)

Vaneos are ok, but, they have the traditional feeble Mercedes build quality and they look like the sort of thing someone with a wheelchair would use as a daily driver.

If you must pilot a little van with windows a Berlingo might be a better bet.

GregMVF4

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E63 AMG S Estate, 2012 Panigale S Tricolore, 2016 SL400 Edition, '00 MVF4750, '07 MVF41000R,
Sorry - my bad!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom