Another E Class or Something Different?

Warrior

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 03 (Now changed for Jag XF 3.0D S), & Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 04 (SLK in Drag)
I'm probably going to change the car next year, I must say my E320 has done everything i've asked of it over the past two years, and has done so in comfort & style, so my choice is between another E class saloon, or possibly a Chrysler 300C (the missus thinks they're ugly but I quite like them)

If I stay with MB and go for another E class the one thing I want to ensure is that I definately leave the 'SBC pump club' so my question is when did they consign the SBC system to history?

I will probably be able to stretch to an 07/08 ish E Class, does that get me away from SBC?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Definitely - Facelift >06 without SBC

check up on Inlet Port Shut-off Motor probs. Keeping an eye on the Turbo seals for oil leakage at each service should avoid oil contamination on the IPS and replace seals if leaking.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Wise choice and 06-06 to be exact,,, we certainly do not get many problems with them at all

OP
Warrior

Warrior

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 03 (Now changed for Jag XF 3.0D S), & Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 04 (SLK in Drag)
Thank you Malcolm(s) :)

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Well I hope this helps, after 2 years in a 530i BMW I'm back in a E Class as of last weekend sad I know but it felt like coming home. Nothing wrong with the BMW at all it is just not a Mercedes.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I had a 57 plate E320 Cdi and it was superb..
I can confirm they have a good old fashioned tried and tested SERVO brake set up.
Also with the face lift E class they apparently made over 2000 improvements / modifications over the old one.
I remember mine drove like a much smaller car than it actually was.

With regards to the inlet port shut off motor problem.. I note now that some forward thinking mechanics are replacing the troublesome seals every other service as a precaution..
This is far, far cheaper than replacing the motor and then the seals as well.
Think of the seals as a service item that is done every other service...

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
Well I hope this helps, after 2 years in a 530i BMW I'm back in a E Class as of last weekend sad I know but it felt like coming home. Nothing wrong with the BMW at all it is just not a Mercedes.

how is that beast doing now?? Must say if the wife gets her way and buys a FIat 500, then the smoker we got is going and will be replaced with an E500 estate. I have seen a rather tasty 7 seater one up for sale too.

However, the SBC issue is no longer worrying me. It is just like every other car, a part that may or may not go wrong. I have a used warranty that covers it, but it may never fail.
I know when we worked for Fiat and their EPS systems were failing like crazy, and a £1000 a time people were going mad (especially when you think they were under 7k NEW!) however, it didn't take long before some company smelt a profit and found a way to successfully produce and exchange unit. Price dropped over night, now they are probably pennies.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
how is that beast doing now?? Must say if the wife gets her way and buys a FIat 500, then the smoker we got is going and will be replaced with an E500 estate. I have seen a rather tasty 7 seater one up for sale too.

I like the sound of that!!:):)

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
I like the sound of that!!:):)

yes mate, fist place it'll find itself will be on a ramp in your workshop.................making sure it's all above board and proper.

However, have found a few 5.0 E500, but seems the later facelift had a 5.5 V8 388bhp one.......now that sounds tempting!!!!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
yes mate, fist place it'll find itself will be on a ramp in your workshop.................making sure it's all above board and proper.

However, have found a few 5.0 E500, but seems the later facelift had a 5.5 V8 388bhp one.......now that sounds tempting!!!!

500 estates are pretty rare, it won't hang around long. Get it bought

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
500 estates are pretty rare, it won't hang around long. Get it bought

.......just gotta get the wife a Fiat 500 first, then i can have mine!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I got talking to a guy in Tesco car park with a 55 AMG estate, he did not know what the AMG was:( he just said its a bit too fast for him and rather thirsty :D He bought it as his wife liked the colour

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
I got talking to a guy in Tesco car park with a 55 AMG estate, he did not know what the AMG was:( he just said its a bit too fast for him and rather thirsty :D He bought it as his wife liked the colour

seems about the norm in London. Many are like that, bought cos it looked nice or colour, wife chooses that bit, husband specs it so it looks good on drive......yes i am jealous, but not because they live in London though!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
seems about the norm in London. Many are like that, bought cos it looked nice or colour, wife chooses that bit, husband specs it so it looks good on drive......yes i am jealous, but not because they live in London though!

It is sad though when the AMG bit will never get used, it will make a good car when it comes onto the market again :D

OP
Warrior

Warrior

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm going to decide over the next few months and will be going for a test drive in the later (V6) E320CDI, i'm still keen on the Chrysler 300C so will be trying both.

I'm currently selling my Mitsubishi GTO TT weekend toy too, and thinking of a Crossfire to replace it as they seem to be going for very reasonable second hand money, I test drove a Crossfire last weekend, what a sweet sound from that MB motor, and it is everything I want for a sunny weekend blast in the summer....that is if we actually get any sunny weekends next summer!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The 300C has the 211 V6 with the 5 speed box and the 210 chassis. I did 100k miles in my facelift 211 320CDI, it wasn't however without problems. The 7g box took a long time to get right (numerous software upgrades), inlet port shutoff motor failed (and the turbo) as well as the gearbox valve pack a 50k miles. It wore grooves on the inside shoulder of the front tyres, the cause of which was never fully understood.

Having said that as I didn't commute in it I was averaging over 39mpg in it and it was a very very nice car to do lots and lots of miles in. Find a good one with a decent warrant and you'll not go far wrong.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom