Merc Vito 52reg intermittent starting

ChrisWalker267

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VITO 52
NEWBIE - Merc Vito 110cdi 52reg intermittent starting

Hi,

I have been having starting problems with my Vito 110CDI. 52reg 77000 genuine miles.

90% off the time it starts without a hitch, but other times it wont start, i turn the key and hear a click and nothing, on that note if i keep the key turned it will start, other times it wont start untill i rock the van in gear.

I therfor went and got a new starter motor fitted, garage fitted it, i paid for it and went to drive away and guess what, its still doing it, they put my old starter motor back in an it started. only seems to come around every few weeks. but more so if its cold.

Any help with this would VERY great as im pulling my hair out.

Thanks
Chris

(not sure if this is in the right place)

Last edited:

hmang

Reaction score
hows your battery and charging system ?

OP
C

ChrisWalker267

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VITO 52
Sounds like a jamming starter motor to me. Rocking the fan is gear is helping the solenoid to work and the ring gear to engage.

That was my 1st thought hence the new starter motor fitted, which didn't fix the problem.

hmang

Reaction score
is the solenoid integral to the starter motor or a separate part ?
might also be worth a good brush and clean up on the big fat electrical connections especially the engine earth

OP
C

ChrisWalker267

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VITO 52
is the solenoid integral to the starter motor or a separate part ?
might also be worth a good brush and clean up on the big fat electrical connections especially the engine earth

Really could tell you mate, how do I check this? I race bikes so I'm not to sure on car/van engines :confused:

OP
C

ChrisWalker267

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VITO 52
The Stalker?

Unfortunately not mate haha, although I did have to chance my twitter account due to a flood off bsb fans following me haha.

Anyone any other ideas on my van?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom