Mercedes Alarms (are they good enough)?

kc104

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 Cabriolet 2011
Hi guys. Had my car about 2 months now (merc e class cabriolet) I love it. Last night someone broke in my neighbors car (bmw 3 series saloon about 3 - 4 years old)

No damage to car, no window broken and alarm did not go off. She always locks her car. So we are wondering how they got in. Could it be a technology / laptop or self made key or something.

So my question is, what is the alarm like on mercs these days. I know its a
TC2 - 381/1197 MM... something thatchum 1 alarm (is that right)

Was wondering if I should look into fitting another type of alarm to it. Would the alarm go off if someone tampered with the window - like a coat hanger down the door, or have i been watching to many american movies where it looks easy.

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
Is this not a specific BMW problem as revealed by the Sunday press earlier this year? The BMW alarm system could be accessed via the diagnostic socket with a £50 electronic widget.

My colleague's 3-4 year old BMW 3 series has just been recalled for a software update to resolve this issue.

Mercs are not supposed to suffer from this problem but keep an eye on your Sunday papers just in case.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The Mercedes are still as good as they come, and meet all Thatcham requirements

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
MB's have always been considered one of the best factory alarm systems.
The only improvement I would consider to the security would be a tracker and might even give you a discount on the insurance as well.
I wonder if the BMW alarms are Thatcham approved?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Hi guys. Had my car about 2 months now (merc e class cabriolet) I love it. Last night someone broke in my neighbors car (bmw 3 series saloon about 3 - 4 years old)

No damage to car, no window broken and alarm did not go off. She always locks her car. So we are wondering how they got in. Could it be a technology / laptop or self made key or something.

So my question is, what is the alarm like on mercs these days. I know its a
TC2 - 381/1197 MM... something thatchum 1 alarm (is that right)

Was wondering if I should look into fitting another type of alarm to it. Would the alarm go off if someone tampered with the window - like a coat hanger down the door, or have i been watching to many american movies where it looks easy.

If the BMW alarm did not go off then the alarm siren (or other sensors) is faulty and didn’t sound, perhaps the door lock was picked so as to gain entry.

Alarms should be tested regularly by the owner, at least twice per year, otherwise its blind faith as to whether the siren will sound if the event that the alarm is triggered. Just because the car locks and flashes its lights doesn’t necessarily mean that the alarm is in full working order.

List… http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/categories/PassengerCarCAT1.pdf

Dec

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom