SLK Bumpers... Fixable?

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
A few Wednesdays ago a less than intelligent or observant elderly male life form sat at a T junction indicating right. I pulled alongside to turn left at the same junction, stopped to check traffic when he decided he would turn LEFT across the front of my car ! (Of course he told me it was *MY* fault, not his,...several dozen times, and never in 30 years of driving had HE had an accident!)
Minor damage to Boris, in that cracked bumper and scuffed wheel will need .....

Wait for it.....

£1950 worth of repairs !:shock:

Obviously new wing, bumper and wheel refurb, plus painting etc as I am claiming against his insurance. (The direction of his car wing being moved BACKWARDS proves effectively he was moving and I wasn't)

So, as the whole car only cost me £2700 a year back I reckon they will write it off. Hence my question.

Can the bumper be successfully welded/repaired instead of replaced ?

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I'd look on ebay, there are usually plenty on there and you should find one in the right colour.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Yes you can plastic weld them with great results

Always thought that was impossible to get back its structural integrity ...is that not the case? Assumed any bumper crack and you were stuffed...

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Interesting.... And fascinating... Anyone done this?

stevenN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W210 2002
I have repaired mine using a soldering iron and stainless mesh.
It gets tricky if you have holes but nothing is impossible.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
A few Wednesdays ago a less than intelligent or observant elderly male life form sat at a T junction indicating right. I pulled alongside to turn left at the same junction, stopped to check traffic when he decided he would turn LEFT across the front of my car ! (Of course he told me it was *MY* fault, not his,...several dozen times, and never in 30 years of driving had HE had an accident!)
Minor damage to Boris, in that cracked bumper and scuffed wheel will need .....

Wait for it.....

£1950 worth of repairs !:shock:

Obviously new wing, bumper and wheel refurb, plus painting etc as I am claiming against his insurance. (The direction of his car wing being moved BACKWARDS proves effectively he was moving and I wasn't)

So, as the whole car only cost me £2700 a year back I reckon they will write it off. Hence my question.

Can the bumper be successfully welded/repaired instead of replaced ?

Im taking delivery of a 1999 230 komp today which ive bought only for the black interior, rear wing is dented and rear suspension bent but everything else is mint. So if you need a bumper and wing then let me know.
jib

OP
R

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bumpers and PSU?

Im taking delivery of a 1999 230 komp today which ive bought only for the black interior, rear wing is dented and rear suspension bent but everything else is mint. So if you need a bumper and wing then let me know.
jib

If the insco write it off I'll buy it back and fix myself. So mught well need the PSU from the boot and if you have one that natty little net in the passenger footwell which is missing.
What are the rear discs like?

OP
R

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmmmmmmm

Yes i have saved many bumpers using this repair system, just wish it was around years ago but its here now and i love it

I like the idea and the tool looks simple to use. eBay for £120, a bit OTT for a one off so might pop over to you for a repair if it all ends up at my feet. Otherwise it'll be the insco's sorting the repairs....We will see.

Multi-Tech

Reaction score
Website
www.facebok-multi-tech-automotive-body-paint
Your Mercedes
Which ever has fuel in it!!!
I like the idea and the tool looks simple to use. eBay for £120, a bit OTT for a one off so might pop over to you for a repair if it all ends up at my feet. Otherwise it'll be the insco's sorting the repairs....We will see.
No problems if I can help in any way please feel free to contact me

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
If the insco write it off I'll buy it back and fix myself. So mught well need the PSU from the boot and if you have one that natty little net in the passenger footwell which is missing.
What are the rear discs like?

Its already an ins write off thats why I bought it.
PSU sold
rear discs look used but still have life left in them £20 the pair + shipping
Net cant see too much frost, will look later

jib

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom