EC button/switch flashing on 300TE

thatfatbloke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320L CDI (me). 2001 230 CLK (wife).
Just a quicky. Tried a search to no avail. I noticed the other day that the red light on the EC button was flashing. It flashed for around 15 minutes then turned back to solid red. No mention of this in the handbook either. Any ideas?. Ta.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
if it has air con it could be trying to tell you it needs regassed IIRC

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Pete, it needs gas I think

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Is it oe air con? Never seen this on mb air of that year car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Yes I did have to think about that, one can do a self check with the heater controls

OP
T

thatfatbloke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure whether I have aircon or not now!. Assumed that the EC button was a simple aircon on/off switch,now I've studied the handbook I haven't got a clue as it's very confusing and I gave up very quickly. I must admit I don't remember seeing any notices referring to the aircon when last under the bonnet,and wouldn't know an aircon compressor if it fell on my melon. I shall endeavour to have a look a bit later on. Does the vin number not tell you what you've got and what you haven't?.

OP
T

thatfatbloke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
By the way,the red light was flashing again this morning. Just a thought,it couldn't be telling me that the outside temperature is 0 degrees could it?. My car hasn't got the usual outside temperature display I've had on all my other Merc's,just a black 'nothingness'. Must have been an option when I thought they were standard.

OP
T

thatfatbloke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now I've had more time to read the handbook it appears that when the red light is illuminated on the EC button it means that aircon is off. But strangely enough when the red light is illuminated on the dehumidifier button (the one situated
immediately above the EC button) it means the dehumidifier is switched on!. I tried the aircon the other day and it certainly blows quite cold,so I assume I have aircon despite the fact that a lot of peeps think it wasn't fitted to old nails like mine.
Was the outside temperature gauge an option then as I thought they were standard?. I've had it on all my other Merc's. Thanks for your replies.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have an outside temp probe its just under the front bumper, a little towards the passenger side.

huey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 cdi 2004 Estate

If the button has the symbol EC then it is oe, if the button has a snowflake then it is aftermarket.

AFAIK the outside temp was an option.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the button has the symbol EC then it is oe, if the button has a snowflake then it is aftermarket.

AFAIK the outside temp was an option.

Some kits used oe buttons and cut the wood/veneer to look oe.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That heater though is OE

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Easy to tell if its not oe by taking that control panel out, on the non-factory ones those 3 buttons are seperate to the reat of the panel with a lead going (usually) into the passenger footwell where the relay for it is, oe ones are just a complete unit as you would expect with the relay under the bonnet. Of course the chassis number will tell you

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Easy to tell if its not oe by taking that control panel out, on the non-factory ones those 3 buttons are seperate to the reat of the panel with a lead going (usually) into the passenger footwell where the relay for it is, oe ones are just a complete unit as you would expect with the relay under the bonnet. Of course the chassis number will tell you

As above and easy to tell under the bonnet. No relays or fuses should be seen if oe. looking closely, i would say it has non oe a/c as the hole for the buttons has been cut out and have a sharp edge whereas the factory oe trim hole is smooth.

Attachments

• dash oe.jpg
    dash oe.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 11
  • P1060168.JPG
    P1060168.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom