Gearbox/Acceleration woes on 1997 CLK 200

Murphy1138

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk200
Hello all , what a great site!
Already learnt so much about my CLK200 but had a few questions to some of the problems that I have at the moment.

I have some Pictures and videos.

• Lack of Accleration
  • Gearbox now in Electric limp mode

I have done approx 300 miles in the car since I bought it.
Its never had good acceleration - seems to only go on part throttle or 3/4 max - if you try and floor it you get Revs rising and the car slows down - back off the throttle and it picks up and takes off.

The gearbox was fine and shifting through all gears ok, yesterday I had a clear stretch of road and tried WOT and again the revs rise and feel like they stick around 3 to 4K and the car slows down did this a few times and then the transmissions went into mechanical limp mode and would stick in one gear - when the engine was switched off and back on it would reset and I would have all gears again.

Today it is stuck now in full electric limp mode and is very clunky to go into drive - I know I need to get the codes read - can any one recommend a place in West London/Twickenham area or know a good mobile chap that could read the codes?

Next where can I get a dipstick to check the oil in the box? I cant see any leaks around in or on the plug on the side of the box.

Next My car seems to have a mechanical throttle not an electric one any thoughts on the WOT problem or is that just related to the gear box fault?

I have a link to my photo bucket with some videos of some strange noises and pictures of the mechanical throttle linkage.

- the clunk sounds just happen? sounds gearbox related!?

Mechanical throttle
20121211_191543.jpg

The gearbox was smooth and even in limp mode its smooth when its being driven.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Murph:cool:

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Firstly the partial acceleration issue could be two things.

Its most likely to be the MAF sensor, or the coil pack.

Unplugging the MAF will revert the car to a default map which should then run OK, which would rule that out.

however the sound your gearbox is making in that video is NOT healthy at all! It really does sound like there is some mechanical damage inside your gearbox causing the clunkyness and gear sticking. Has the noise started since the gearbox issues or was that noise (towards the end of the interior video) there the whole time?

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
SS Motors in Weybridge, can't think of a closer indie.

OP
M

Murphy1138

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk200
Firstly the partial acceleration issue could be two things.

Its most likely to be the MAF sensor, or the coil pack.

Unplugging the MAF will revert the car to a default map which should then run OK, which would rule that out.

however the sound your gearbox is making in that video is NOT healthy at all! It really does sound like there is some mechanical damage inside your gearbox causing the clunkyness and gear sticking. Has the noise started since the gearbox issues or was that noise (towards the end of the interior video) there the whole time?
Hi - thanks for the response - I will try the Maf - clean and un plug it.
The sound in the interior when I put the camera out side the car and underneath has been there - its not new sounds like a loose heat shield. The Clunks from they bay happen when the car is cold and idling - after it heats up it goes away but it is concerning:shock:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi - thanks for the response - I will try the Maf - clean and un plug it.
The sound in the interior when I put the camera out side the car and underneath has been there - its not new sounds like a loose heat shield. The Clunks from they bay happen when the car is cold and idling - after it heats up it goes away but it is concerning:shock:

oh ok, the reason I asked is that it sounded like a loose heatsheidl, not to worry then, its possible that the Pilot bush is leaking and oil has traveled up the loom and into the gearbox ecu, quite a common problem and changing the bush and cleaning up the ecu normally resolves it. That is just the most common problem of many it could be however.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One must remember that when the power output of the engine is low or down, this will affect the gear changes as the box will not know quite what to do

OP
M

Murphy1138

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk200
One must remember that when the power output of the engine is low or down, this will affect the gear changes as the box will not know quite what to do

thanks, would it cause it go into limp mode?

I have a ODB2 scanner and a Mercedes connector but I cant get it to read codes :( - It will power up but wont connect so i cant see if there is any engine codes stored (no cel on dash)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks, would it cause it go into limp mode?

I have a ODB2 scanner and a Mercedes connector but I cant get it to read codes :( - It will power up but wont connect so i cant see if there is any engine codes stored (no cel on dash)

If the MAF was very bad then yes, or indeed what ever is causing the low engine output

OP
M

Murphy1138

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk200
If the MAF was very bad then yes, or indeed what ever is causing the low engine output

Great , did you happen to see the video - those clunks point to anything major or lack or GB oil? ??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have nothing on this computer that can open it,, I am in the limp along mode with my computers :(:(

OP
M

Murphy1138

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk200
Try VLC media player. That will play anything pretty much.

Thanks for your time chaps.

william28ho

Reaction score
hi - there are loads of threads on this forum, on how to make your own automatic gear box dip stick......using a curtain wire....or you can purchase a dip stick on ebay...then with a dip stick you can check the gear box oil level.

i hope this has help.

OP
M

Murphy1138

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk200
Hi all, I had the car put on a STAR system today, its seems its the gear box speed sensors that have gone.

I have had the codes cleared and the box is shifiting again fine although I have not tried WOT.

Does anyone know a place other than MB that sells the conductor plate module - I have had a look and the job does not look to hard to do (famous last words) .

What's the rough cost for the part?

Thanks,
Murph:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is dead easy to do, I can send you the work sheet,,,,I just cannot remember the price, its an age thing

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just remember that the area around the gearbox and the gearbox itself must be meticulously clean!

OP
M

Murphy1138

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk200
It is dead easy to do, I can send you the work sheet,,,,I just cannot remember the price, its an age thing
That would be great I'll PM you my e-mail if you don't mind.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That would be great I'll PM you my e-mail if you don't mind.

I cannot take PMs as I have just deleted 660 of inbox full messages

You can pop the address up here for a few mins and edit it out again, that what everyone does

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom