S320CDi Diesel Leak

RobWheatley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 S320CDi Auto with Toys...
Hi Everyone
Seems never ending at the moment.
Recently had the problems with the Airmatic and got that sorted out, now the high pressure fuel pump has started leaking again, I had fitted new seals to it a while ago (about 18 months) that seemed to stop it but now it has come back worse than ever, it did start leaking only when very cold and just for the first 30 to 60 seconds now is is weeping all the time. (its leaking from the top plate not the pipes)

Need to fit a new (used) pump to it but really have to keep the costs down as the airmatic, tyres and brakes (and problems with the OH's Jeep) has wiped me out.

Can anyone tell me what the differences between the pumps installed on different engines?

I have seen an A Class pump the same pattern for alot less than the S Class ones available, would (could) it work, flow enough fuel and pressure or would the engine be starved of fuel/pressure?

My Pump is A 613 070 00 01 and one I have seen is A 668 070 03 01

Failing that would the pump off of a 270CDi fit/work etc

Really need some help please as I have to use the car every day and need it to go to France at the end of next week.

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
You can get a complete reman pump from Euro Car Parts for about £170+VAT. 180CDI and 270CDI pumps are different in internals and the output key on the cam. For that price I would just buy a new one and be done with it.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
As above.

Just be sure first it is the pump leaking and not the seals on the pipes. I've seen new seals leak because they haven't been given a smear of vaseline or similar to help seat them.

OP
RobWheatley

RobWheatley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can get a complete reman pump from Euro Car Parts for about £170+VAT. 180CDI and 270CDI pumps are different in internals and the output key on the cam. For that price I would just buy a new one and be done with it.

I looked on Euro Car parts and the cheapest pump they do is well over £300 (£450 if you include the surcharge) used on eBay they want £200 for the same one but some of the other models are cheaper.

It is definitely the top plate on the pump leaking, I can see the fuel leaking out from under it and running down, it took 3 attempted to seal it last time so I think it must be either distorted or maybe cracked now so I might be stuck with the surcharge too.

Having just had to spend over £2500 on parts this month on cars and Christmas looming there is no way I can do another £300-400.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Is there nothing you can do to seal or repair the top plate ? I don't advocate driving with a fuel leak, but driving with a slight diesel leak for a couple of weeks is not the end of the world, is it ? .:shock:

Last edited:
OP
RobWheatley

RobWheatley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is there nothing you can do to seal or repair the top plate ? I don't advocate driving with a fuel leak, but driving with a slight diesel leak for a couple of weeks is not the end of the world, is it ? .:shock:

I did try to replace the seal before, the kit came with 3 new ones but I had to use all 3 to get it to stop leaking (not at the same time) It was almost as if the seal was too thin for it, I even checked with the supplier to make sure they were the right ones.
I did think about trying a seal and sealant like hermatite but didn't know if it would get in to the pump or injector and block it.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You could try one of the current silicone type sealers ..they are very good.. even the manufacturers use them instead of gaskets ...
|Again you need to be careful that none of the silicone gets inside the pump..

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The top plates need rubbing on a surface plate with some W&D the corrosion affects them quite badly.
The pump body needs the same, remachining in effect.
I would try a pump reconditioner.
I think you will struggle to apply sealant in situ effectively.

OP
RobWheatley

RobWheatley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies.
I still have the 2 other seals I tried before, they were only in for 15-20 mins each.
I will take the pump off on saturday and try cleaning the plate and body up and re assemble it with a thin smear of silicone gasket and one of the other seals, fingers crossed it works.

Rob

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom