12V power socket supply

GordonTarling

Reaction score
Website
www.hackerbrushless.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2007 E63 AMG Estate
For various reasons, the fact that the rear 12V power socket in my 2005 E320cdi turns off with the ignition, is a real pain, so I'd like to enable it to be live all the time. Now, I was given to understand that this may just need a fuse to be swapped to a different position, but specifics seem hard to come by - even the local MB dealers don't know! So, does anyone have a clue as to where this particular fuse may be located? Thanks!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Can't see that working TBH as the circuit fed on that fuse will not have moved?

kay187

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S Class W221 LWB
In the fusebox under the bonnet there is a fuse for the cigarette lighter which you can move positions to allow it be on all the time or just with the ignition depending on the position. Can't remember which one it is and if just the front or rear 12v supply but will try giving you fuse position later if no-one does.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Not heard of that one, but I cannot check it out right now.

Gordon, what do you need the socket for

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
It's fuse 54 in the engine compartment fuse box, at least on my 2006 facelift S211. It has two positions, one ignition-live, one permanent live. It's the rear of the two "double-width" fuse positions, next to relay P.

Attachments

• ecfb.JPG
    ecfb.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Just found it myself Mark. Everyday is a school day!!

Can't find an equivalent for the rear socket though

kay187

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S Class W221 LWB
That's the one I was thinking of! I don't think you can switch it for the rear one as far as I'm aware.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It does depend on what the OP wants to use it for, it can be done but we need that answer first

OP
G

GordonTarling

Reaction score
Website
www.hackerbrushless.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2007 E63 AMG Estate
Malcolm - I want it so that our coolbox will still run when parked up in the summer (if we ever see another one!). There's no danger of running the battery down, as the coolbox has its own low voltage protection built in.

Troon - thanks for that, I'll take a look tomorrow morning - it's too dark now.

I'll check to see if moving the fuse enables the supply to the rear socket, but I rather suspect it'll have its own separate fuse. If there's no facility for an alternative fuse position, I guess I'll have to look at some DIY wiring! It does seem a little shortsighted of MB though, if they've put the facility there for just the front socket.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No fuse up front can activate the rear one, You have the rear SAM and you can take the connection from that, sadly right now I cannot give you the pin outs as I have no access to WIS right now due to computer problems.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good idea Malcolm, I'll check that out!

The trailer coupling does have one feed as you on a caravan to supply the constant 12v,,, I have this info but cannot get to it:(

DIYMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi/53 plate/2.7l 5cyl.
The trailer coupling does have one feed as you on a caravan to supply the constant 12v,,, I have this info but cannot get to it:(

Does that mean the trailer socket could be used to connect a trickle charger overnight?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom