No more scraping of windscreens?

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I received an email today from Inchcape, as no doubt did many others, offering to apply Diamon-Fusion to my windscreen for £99

http://www.diamonfusion.co.uk/diamon-fusion-stockists

I am not about to rush to ''invest'' but......is it a newish product?.......is it as good as the claim?

No doubt there are other products that make similar claims but I thought it worth bringing it to your attention and invite comment.

Mic

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Never heard of it Mic, but looked at their website - it seems to be something akin to Rain-X in that it lets water "bead".

I tried Rain-X on one of mine - fascinating stuff - if you are moving, the rain simply blows off the screen (quite hypnotic) but rain in the dark was a different ballgame & the surface (with wipers on) was as smeared as a well-smeared smeary thing - awful.

Let someone else try it first ;)

GregMVF4

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E63 AMG S Estate, 2012 Panigale S Tricolore, 2016 SL400 Edition, '00 MVF4750, '07 MVF41000R,
Looks interesting - taking the Q7 for a service in the morning, also Inchcape (Tonbridge Audi) - I'll see if they mention it.

Certainly that coating/treatment they use on the paint (both the Audi and the C63) really works well - even had the Q7 redone when it needed it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That looks an interesting product Mic,,,I must investigate further :D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Website info says it "resists" frost, so like a watch that is water resistant means very little without parameters.

Don't think I will be investing...

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
If it's the stuff that coats my conservatory roof it is very good.
Always stays clean. Never needed cleaning in 7 years since it was built.

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
I don't have this problem in the mornings as all my cars are garaged or carported, but if I have to leave them out a sheet of cardboard is perfect.

Otherwise just leave the wipers up, and in the morning give the squirters a quick run (I use the Lidl -60C stuff), let the wipers back onto the screen and jobs a good 'un.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
If it's the stuff that coats my conservatory roof it is very good.
Always stays clean. Never needed cleaning in 7 years since it was built.

Yes, but you don't have to rely on being able to see where you are going by looking through your conservatory windows on a motorway, at night, at 70mph, in a pishing torrential downpour. :)

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Forgot to add:

£99 for a coating on your windscreen? You would have to be plain mental to go for that!

The sales people can see you coming. Maybe it's because of the improved vision through that coating on the 'screen... ;)

as400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350cdi
Forgot to add:

£99 for a coating on your windscreen? You would have to be plain mental to go for that!

The sales people can see you coming. Maybe it's because of the improved vision through that coating on the 'screen... ;)

Agree, looking at the video in the gallery section on that link at 2.00 minutes that's not worth £100.

Have used RainX for years and at £5 a bottle is good value, £100?...er no.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have some Rain X might just put some on.

Warrior

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 03 (Now changed for Jag XF 3.0D S), & Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 04 (SLK in Drag)
I've used Rain X in the past and it is immpressive, but as others have said its a nightmare once you put the wipers on, I also used it on my helmet visor when I raced motorbikes and it was brilliant for wet races.

Going back to the window defrosting i've never for the life of me worked out why after 20 odd years Ford and their associated companies are still the only ones fitting their excellent heated front screen due I understand to patent rights??

Surely if everyone who invented something did this we would only have one manufacturer fitting ABS, only one manufacturer fitting airbags etc etc, it just doesnt make sense that other manufacturers cant use something which in my opinion is a safety aid.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Patents only last 18yrs (unless improvement clauses are submitted and approved).

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The Ford heated windshield is something other car manufacturers would dearly love to get their hands on.. I can only imagine ford are reinventing it and renewing patents on a regular basis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The Ford heated windshield is something other car manufacturers would dearly love to get their hands on.. I can only imagine ford are reinventing it and renewing patents on a regular basis

It's something my company spent millions on to retain our patents.

Ford could earn big money by licensing out the technology. SEAT benefited from this on my Alhambra. Something I really miss on frosty mornings. :(

Warrior

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 03 (Now changed for Jag XF 3.0D S), & Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 04 (SLK in Drag)
I reckon Ford starting fitting them around 1986ish, I certainly remember my mate having one in his XR4x4 in the late 80's

I did a bit of google research just now and it took me to several similar discussions on other forums, and it seems aftermarket heated screens are actually available to fit some other vehicles, very odd then that another manufacturer cant fit them as standard to new vehicles.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Mercedes do offer heated windscreens and side windows on "Special Protection" vehicles. So it is possible to have them on certain MB models (E and S class)

Top Bottom