Old timer tells me he mixes heating oil with diesel

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Talking to a guy today who has worked with and drove diesels for yrs and he has a e320 cdi 2007 from new with 88000 mls and he told me he puts 10 ltrs of heating oil into every 60 ltrs of diesel every winter he said the car runs better ,starts easier and stops the diesel getting thicker as the temperatures drop below zero. ,, this guys is a young 70 yr old .
who am I to argue with him but not sure what to think.

What's your guys,girls thoughts on this ?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The man is living in the past, when diesel didn't have winter additives automatically supplied. There is no need to augment modern supplies in this way

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Presumably this is also illegal.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It can still be done and even MB reckon you can add up to 20% heating oil in severe weather.. I would also as a precaution add some 2 stroke oil as well..

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
They do now add a yellow dye to heating oil, presumably to counteract this problem

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Presumably this is also illegal.

In the same way that using ''red'' gas oil is illegal in road cars.......when diesel cars first came to the market Customs and Excise were regular visitors to construction sites to test the contents of operatives private cars for evidence of the use of derv.......and guess what?

Mic

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I would probably be wary of running a CDI on anything else, but my friend with an older diesel runs it on anything he can find.. straight used engine oil, waste veg, whatever, and he literally has a filter over the end of the can it originally was poured into and chucks it straight in

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I know of a guy who was quite a bit from home and fuel light came on ,so his mate put 5 gallon of heating oil into his 2 yr old b m and told him it will get him home .
But after around 50 mls he had to pull in and snooze for a hr as it was starting to overheat . He then proceeded to find nearest all night filling station and filled her up and was fine after that. :D. He laughs now but had nightmares at the time in case it had to be taken to the dealer and he would have lost the warranty.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Paraffin or heating oil is wayy to thin to properly lubricate the pumps and system, but it will run ok anyone using it would be well advised to chuck in some engine oil or 2 stroke to help lubricate the expensive bits ..
Also cleaned fuel, ie red diesel with the marker removed this is normally done by filtering the fuel thru an acid bath.. well so im told...the acid can also ruin seals and pumps and injectors

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Going back many years to when I had my first diesel car (I'm talking 1980 - 82 and a Citroen CX familiale estate) we used to get loads of problems with diesel waxing up - we were in northern Greece and driving home through Yugoslavia. Used to add a can of special stuff every tank-up, but a German taxi driver told me he added 10 ltrs of petrol to every tank to avoid the problem! I'll never forget overnighting at the Intercon Belgrade - come down in the morning leaving wife and son in the hotel room, get large jug of hot water from ground floor gents and pour about 3-4 jugs over the engine until it would start, then close bonnet and leave engine running for about 10 mins before the engine would respond to throttle - then call wife and say "you can come out now, we're ready to leave!!". Thankfully those days are now history and i've not (touch wood) had low temperature diesel waxing problems since!

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Sorry Mercman, mine is addicted to the Twelth Milestone filling station!!

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Sorry Mercman, mine is addicted to the Twelth Milestone filling station!!

Top dollar in there for fuel , although I get 2p per ltr off in there so buy 50lts I save a massive £1. If in ballyclare asdas a lot cheaper although a lot of folk say there fuels not up to scratch but I never had any problems with it.

See a nice tree up at the milestone.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Going back many years to when I had my first diesel car (I'm talking 1980 - 82 and a Citroen CX familiale estate) we used to get loads of problems with diesel waxing up - we were in northern Greece and driving home through Yugoslavia. Used to add a can of special stuff every tank-up, but a German taxi driver told me he added 10 ltrs of petrol to every tank to avoid the problem! I'll never forget overnighting at the Intercon Belgrade - come down in the morning leaving wife and son in the hotel room, get large jug of hot water from ground floor gents and pour about 3-4 jugs over the engine until it would start, then close bonnet and leave engine running for about 10 mins before the engine would respond to throttle - then call wife and say "you can come out now, we're ready to leave!!". Thankfully those days are now history and i've not (touch wood) had low temperature diesel waxing problems since!

An early childhood memory of mine is watching a lorry driver in the depths of winter starting a small fire underneath his fuel tank to liquify the contents.

Thank heavens that's no longer necessary!

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Mercman, I note you say 'If in Ballyclare' ,According to my car these cold mornings, if I were to go one errand to Ballyclare, 9 miles in my case,I wouldn't be able to make it home with much less than a gallon. I have on occasions filled up at Asda though and noticed no difference at all, same with Tesco too, but my daughter who drives a Golf had a bad experience with their fuel and refuses to use their forecourt. (Dundee) in her case.

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Mercman, I note you say 'If in Ballyclare' ,According to my car these cold mornings, if I were to go one errand to Ballyclare, 9 miles in my case,I wouldn't be able to make it home with much less than a gallon. I have on occasions filled up at Asda though and noticed no difference at all, same with Tesco too, but my daughter who drives a Golf had a bad experience with their fuel and refuses to use their forecourt. (Dundee) in her case.

Yes never could understand why people drive 20 ml round trips to save 1-2 pence per ltr .

B

brick10

A friend of mine added some red diesel in his car on a construction site
and the custom and excise turned up, he got in to his car drove out of
the site and went to bristol and back to use it up.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
enough traces would still be left to detect

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom