SBC or not SBC, again

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Hi,

I have just had the dreaded "Service Brake, Visit workshop " message on the dashboard display.

I am guessing that it is the SBC pump but I had the car serviced by a local Indie on Monday and they did say that the pads were down to less than 30% and and the disks were also well worn so would need changing soon.

Would worn pads give the same message or are they more specific.

I am going to call My local main dealers later to get it checked on their star system but don't want to pay them for telling me it needs pads and disks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry to say that the disc and pad wear is not part of this message :(

OP
S500 Pete

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Message gone?

The Malfunction message has now gone and if I scroll through the menus it just says "No malfunction"

So do I have a problem or should I wait for the message to reappear?

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
Pete, think you'll find it is the brake pad sensor, mine did it, came on, then off, then just came on and annoyed the living hell out of me!!!
Mine said service brake, visit workshop and is the same vintage as yours.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many messages can come and go on all Mercedes never to be seen again, on both my SL and the CL some message may come up like xxx not available, then the next time you start all clear, never to be seen again. Brake pads just put on a tell tale lamp in the bottom row

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
Brake pads just put on a tell tale lamp in the bottom row

I wished mine just did that......constantly reminding me that my pads were low EVERY time i got in the car, nagged me more than the wife did!!!:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wished mine just did that......constantly reminding me that my pads were low EVERY time i got in the car, nagged me more than the wife did!!!:)

If you think you are hard done by you are welcome to try Lilian,, just think of it, every time you exceed 21mph the moaning starts;) I never get up enough speed to ever need brakes

OP
S500 Pete

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm

Reading through the many other threads on this it mentions that it could be the brake light switch.

Would an Indie with Star be able to see a history of malfunctions and pin it down?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am not that sure to be honest, I will check later in the day to see what is said on this

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
If you think you are hard done by you are welcome to try Lilian,, just think of it, every time you exceed 21mph the moaning starts;) I never get up enough speed to ever need brakes

Thats why they don't squeek malcom........ just joking. :)

OP
S500 Pete

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My son has just been round and has an OBD2 plug with a bluetooth link to a phone app.

He can see the diagnostics on the car but it is reporting no stored faults. he thinks that this is because a fault is only stored after 3 occasions.

Whether this is right or not, I can only think that if it was SBC it would come on and stay on so for now I am going to forget it unless it happens again.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to all who have contributed help

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Hi Malcolm

Reading through the many other threads on this it mentions that it could be the brake light switch.

Would an Indie with Star be able to see a history of malfunctions and pin it down?

I had this EXACT problem. MB (Leeds) first replaced the brake light switch, but it turned out to be a more expensive (and common) option - needed a new front passenger side SAM.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had this EXACT problem. MB (Leeds) first replaced the brake light switch, but it turned out to be a more expensive (and common) option - needed a new front passenger side SAM.

Oh yes and me too, that stupid grill in the wing lets moisture travel up the ABC wiring trunking into the SAM box:(:(

RUXLEY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI
should this be what to look for on 2006 cars

shuuri-120207-4.JPG

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom