Depreciaton

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
How much per year do you consider "normal" for your Mercedes.

I've just sold my exactly 8 year old 209,which I've had from new, and it has cost me £4k p.a., meaning it has lost 91% of it's value. I paid 12% off list for it.

I've owned Audis in the past, kept them for 3 or 4 years and they always cost me £5k p.a. (more than that in today's values).

The facelift 204, which I've just bought, is 6 months old and I paid 26% less than list price = over £8k in 6 months. Suspect I would have managed some sort of discount had I bought new, but not that much!

Both cars were bought from official dealers.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I feel the whole car market is in the doldrums, all prices on the second hand market are very low and just not MB. Driving around the Marsh Barton industrial estate in Exeter last week there must be more than 5000 cars on all the forecourts.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I guess my car has reached the point where I'm likely to spend more on keeping it on the road than depreciation costs me.

The car when bought 8 years ago cost me £17K at 4.5 years old with 36k miles.

I guess it is now worth, with it's nice new coat of shiny paint about £3k with 80K miles, so £1.7K depreciation per year over that period.

I've just spent £1600 on bodywork restoration so hopefully that will keep it looking good for say 5 years or so.

If as intended I keep the car for the next 5 years the depreciation is likely to cost in the order of £500pa so I would imagine that unforseen failures and servicng will be far greater than this.

I'd just like to say that although the car is 12.5 years old I really am pleased with it and can forgive its little foibles :D:D

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
im gonna stick with 7 - 15 year old cars from now on :lol:...im still STUNNED at what just 4k has got me:shock::lol:..... pay the price in fuel but what a car:cool:

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
I guess my car has reached the point where I'm likely to spend more on keeping it on the road than depreciation costs me.

The car when bought 8 years ago cost me £17K at 4.5 years old with 36k miles.

I guess it is now worth, with it's nice new coat of shiny paint about £3k with 80K miles, so £1.7K depreciation per year over that period.

I've just spent £1600 on bodywork restoration so hopefully that will keep it looking good for say 5 years or so.

If as intended I keep the car for the next 5 years the depreciation is likely to cost in the order of £500pa so I would imagine that unforseen failures and servicng will be far greater than this.

I'd just like to say that although the car is 12.5 years old I really am pleased with it and can forgive its little foibles :D:D

cheaper than renting one ...and what a car for the money Malcolm...you cant really go wrong;)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
If the stats in the paper this morning were to be believed car sales are 20% down in the eurozone this year in contrast to sales in the UK which are up 11%, I was quite surprised.

Therefore it follows that it should be a good time to import a new car bought in Europe, it might come back in vogue if the stats are to believed.

OP
P

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I bought the new 209 in the boom years (remember them) when I was earning plenty. Couldn't afford an E class coupe now.

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A lot of retail companies are in the doldrums, the relentless media gloom and Governments inability to get to grips with the economy will leave many car owners nursing huge losses.
Monthly payments have masked these losses to the financially illiterate but eventually the penny or more likely as in this case the pound will drop.
At some point people will realise the Bankers have stuffed us for far far more than anything Blair and Brown did.
Depreciation is rocketing in almost everything we buy.

daveyjp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B160 SE Blue Efficiency
Our Aygo is without doubt the car which has depreciated the least in our ownership.

It cost us £7,500 brand new almost 6 years ago. To replace it would cost as much as £5,000 and for that we'd get more mileage and no aircon.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
If you buy new you need to keep for a very long time, or buy at 2 year old once at least the vat which you loose as you drive off the forecourt.

My merc is calculated in the pcp to loose £10k over 28 months from £15k to £5k as it was 28 months old when I got it. But that is it at 150k miles ( me doing 100k miles in the time) and 5 years or thereabouts. If I'd run from new that would be circa £5k per annum too

Best is my lotus Elise, bought 6 years ago, and has lost barely £3k in that time was (£15k now £12k ) it's my toy and that's more fun than the mo eh in the bank

Last car a passat estate bought at 9 months for £13k sold 24 months later for £8k so 2.5k a year.

I know we all like that new car feel, but unless a company pays for it I'm not prepared to so I will keep on buying nearly new or ex demo jobs where possible

Last edited:

Remenham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a140
We could keep our cars longer than we do, but we get bored with them and spend our money on depreciation.

Most cars seem to do List price to 5% thereof in 10 years but the slope is normally steepest in the early years.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
A lot of retail companies are in the doldrums, the relentless media gloom and Governments inability to get to grips with the economy will leave many car owners nursing huge losses.
Monthly payments have masked these losses to the financially illiterate but eventually the penny or more likely as in this case the pound will drop.
At some point people will realise the Bankers have stuffed us for far far more than anything Blair and Brown did.
Depreciation is rocketing in almost everything we buy.

Just to add to this: Thatcher de-regulated the banks and Gordon removed the regulator role from the BoE the results of which we are all living with now, and will be for a long time. All political parties culpable, all part of the great tapestry, whatever happened to the quality of politicians?

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I have probably got to keep my SL for a total of about 18yrs. to get the depreciation down to £4k/yr. and that does not account for inflation.

£4k/year is not excessive for a new or nearly new car......sad but true.

Mic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Our cars held a fairly good price till 18 months to 2 years ago, my 230 sat at around £20-£25k for quite some time and in the following 12 months crashed to almost half that

I bought my SL500 a 2002 car in mid 2006, it cost just over £90k as it had everything, it cost me £40k.

I sold it this year for £12.5k so it lost £27,500 in the next 6 years, and that equals out at a loss of £4.5k per year, and not far off the target that Mic is hoping for

Last edited:

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
perhaps one way is to buy a used prestige car that you could not normally afford new, and keep it forever.

My example is my used late model 124 E class coupe. (£52,000 new)

3200cc engine, late 1995, purchased for £7,000 in Nov 2002 with approx 110,000 miles.

It was an executive lease car and had done 67,000 miles in first three years.

I purchased from the second owner.

Today (10 years later) 193,000 miles, and if I got say £2,000 it would have depreciated just £500 per year.

I repeat, just £500 per year depreciation on an executive style car over 10 years.

It has been my daily driver, and it still is.

And I am getting to drive a powerfull, stylish and comfortable car which does 31mpg on runs.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
perhaps one way is to buy a used prestige car that you could not normally afford new, and keep it forever.

My example is my used late model 124 E class coupe. (£52,000 new)

3200cc engine, late 1995, purchased for £7,000 in Nov 2002 with approx 110,000 miles.

It was an executive lease car and had done 67,000 miles in first three years.

I purchased from the second owner.

Today (10 years later) 193,000 miles, and if I got say £2,000 it would have depreciated just £500 per year.

I repeat, just £500 per year depreciation on an executive style car over 10 years.

It has been my daily driver, and it still is.

And I am getting to drive a powerfull, stylish and comfortable car which does 31mpg on runs.

Absolutely correct......my CL was one of the best cars that money could buy when it was new......a gentleman's carriage.
I do not expect to suffer much depreciation during my ownership.

Mic

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I adopt a different approach.

I select what I like/need and can afford.

I buy it, enjoy it and sell it on when I fancy something else (usually between two and five years).

I don't ever consider depreciation pre or post purchase - I want the car/have enjoyed the car.

I have other more important things to get concerned over.

Last edited:

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I adopt a different approach.

I select what I like/need and can afford.

I buy it, enjoy it and sell it on when I fancy something else (usually between two and five years).

I don't ever consider depreciation pre or post purchase - I want the car/have enjoyed the car.

I have other more important things to get concerned over.

So much more money than the rest of us !!!***???......

Mic

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
So much more money than the rest of us !!!***???......

Mic

Some chance Mic.

Perhaps I should have added that I buy around 2 1/2 to 3 years old at around 1/2 the new retail.

However, I don't worry about depreciation, in the run up to the purchase, or after.

As a lifelong petrol (and diesel) head, it's desire for car 1st, everything else (including fretting about depreciation) 2nd.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only new cars that I have ever had were my Volkswagen transporter vans when I had the shop:( and they rusted better than Mercedes

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom