Help please with intermittent starting problem CLK W209 220CDi

jrapple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 220
Here’s hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this:

Always starts if left for a few hours/overnight.

When fault is present, No cold start, Run Flat Indicator unavailable!, Radiator fan runs at full speed and starter will not turn, also my basic code reader will not connect.

Same fault with two keys, but will decide to start randomly, sometimes second turn other times two hours later.

I have wiggled wires and swapped like for like relays in the front SAM and often it will start but cannot pinpoint the fault.

An old invoice from the previous owner shows this fault was rectified with a tin of contact cleaner in 2009!

I have also checked the earth point on the O/S strut top.

I have yet to check voltage on fuse 53 and 54.

How do I get the cover / Plug off the ECU in the SAM box?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is a known fault but I cannot remember what it is, hopefully some will come on that knows it

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Normally when the engine fan runs flat out for no reason it has lost communication with the engine control module and the drive authorisation procedure cannot be completed.

It is possible you have a failing/failed front SAM unit.

OP
J

jrapple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 220
Update:

Bought myself a Chinese Multiplexer and changed the front SAM, fault still present.

I cleared all the fault codes.

When the car won’t start:
I get B1036 in SAM-F (5.5v at Connector 18, Terminal 61)

also I cannot connect to CDI_UP (Warning Earlier programming was not performed completely and successfully)

However when the car has cooled I can connect to CDI_UP and no faults or info is stored. I have completed an alternator test from here and that passed.

Any more thoughts before I send the CDI unit for test possible repair?

Mark@RMK

Reaction score
Website
www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk
Your Mercedes
115CDi Vito
it will be the ECU

Changed a load of them!

If you send it off, expect to get it back with a " We've fixed it charge" and it still do the same thing! There is a mcu on the board which fails but NEVER seen one fixed affectively or at all for that matter!

Find a Used unit, or buy a new unit from MB! (You will need to send the used ECU to a reputable company for unlocking, or coding :) )

Mark

Angeloj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK270CDI Avantgarde
it will be the ECU

Changed a load of them!

If you send it off, expect to get it back with a " We've fixed it charge" and it still do the same thing! There is a mcu on the board which fails but NEVER seen one fixed affectively or at all for that matter!

Find a Used unit, or buy a new unit from MB! (You will need to send the used ECU to a reputable company for unlocking, or coding :) )

Mark

That's not gonna be cheap!!

OP
J

jrapple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 220
Thanks for your help, hope it’s not against board rules but can anyone recommend a reliable company for reprogramming a second-hand unit, will they “copy” my unit so it’s good to go, looks like I can set injectors etc. with my multiplexer. Your help is much appreciated.

Mark@RMK

Reaction score
Website
www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk
Your Mercedes
115CDi Vito
You could check out my section of this forum maybe?

Big banner below!

I can set it up either way. Plug and play or you can code it in, using control unit adaptations and drive authorisation teach in!

Very easy to do with STAR! No SCN coding or anything else as I leave it inside the data of the ecu!

Mark

Last edited:
OP
J

jrapple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 220
Fixed!

After speaking to Mark@RMK I bought a second hand ECU and visited him in Birmingham, He cloned the ECU with data from the failing unit, keeping the identity, mileage and cars history.

The problem is now long gone and for half the price of a new ECU I have a repaired car and a Star Diagnostics Kit.

Thanks to all on this forum, if you have electronic related problems I highly recommend mark@RMK.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom