250 CGI - Real world mpg

AMGry Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: C250 CGI AMG Coupe (24-Dec-12), Previous: C250 CDI AMG Coupe (1 yr), C32 AMG Estate (5yrs)
Hey all,

Would love to know what your short and long term mpg figures are for this engine, qualified by what type of driving you do and over how many miles.

Thanks in advance!

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
I had a C250 CGI Estate for a couple of days while my e-class was in for a recall. I got about 35-36 mpg on my commute to work (35 miles, mixed motorway and cross country). This compares to 47 - 48 from my E250 CDi estate.

Cheers,
Bill

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
So quite a lot lower than a bigger car with a diesel engine.

I'm still on mixed views, 35mpg isn't bad from a petrol engine and if I averaged 33mpg where I'd average 40mpg I'd maybe consider one if it were cheaper than the diesel signicantky.

OP
A

AMGry Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: C250 CGI AMG Coupe (24-Dec-12), Previous: C250 CDI AMG Coupe (1 yr), C32 AMG Estate (5yrs)
So quite a lot lower than a bigger car with a diesel engine.

I'm still on mixed views, 35mpg isn't bad from a petrol engine and if I averaged 33mpg where I'd average 40mpg I'd maybe consider one if it were cheaper than the diesel signicantky.

Thanks ST4,

It literally is horses for courses and the majority of my courses are a painful start-stop through the city, like a taxi! my C250CDI's not getting a chance to really shine under these conditions which is a shame.

I just know what's going to happen; I'll opt for the C250CGI and I'll land a new job where I'll do more miles

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Both the CDi and CGI should have Eco Start/Stop, so urban driving will be similar in both, and on a long run, the CDi will pay off, so it really just depends on the difference in purchase price.

Cheers,
Bill

OP
A

AMGry Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Both the CDi and CGI should have Eco Start/Stop, so urban driving will be similar in both, and on a long run, the CDi will pay off, so it really just depends on the difference in purchase price.

Cheers,
Bill

It's the out-of-school hooning that should be a bit more fun in the CGI too!

That said, I have had the back-end out on the C250CDI more times in just one year than I did with the C32 AMG Estate in five very happy years, and I drove that like I stole it. Think the difference is I could 'read' and gauge the power of the C32 but the torque in the diesel is a bit trickier to tame

OP
A

AMGry Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BTW, it's a nil-cost exchange and the CGI has a £3k better spec and is a year younger with 4k less miles; will post the saga when its all done and dusted but I have been both massively dissappointed and massively impressed with Mercedes Benz; at this stage the latter prevails....

OP
A

AMGry Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bought it!

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Congrats! Hope you enjoy it

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Ditto.

I only had the C class 250 petrol for a couple of days but the main difference I noticed compared with the diesel was that you have to use the revs a lot on the petrol one to get the power.

Although they both offer 204 hp, the diesel peaks at 4,200 while the petrol needs 5,500 revs. And, of course, the diesel has massively more torque (500 versus only 310 for the petrol) and so offers instant response in any gear at virtually any revs - a great feeling in modern traffic.

Probably depends how you drive, which you will prefer. If you like using the gears and going right up through the rev range, the petrol feels good. If not the diesel feels more punchy and more useable. Both do 0-62 in a bit over 7 seconds. The diesel has a slightly higher top speed but both offer way above any speed you might use in the UK.

The petrol costs a few hundred more to buy but depreciates faster because it has a combined figure on the C estate of 41.5 versus a remarkable 55.4 for the diesel.

The petrol version is two VED bands higher at £170 per year versus £120 for the diesel.

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
What was the refinement like compared to the diesel Chris?

Is it just me? I find the latest generation of diesels so quiet at tickover and smooth in power delivery with the twin turbos that I honestly feel very little difference. And the counterbalancing shaft on the 250cdi seems to remove most of the rough edge you might expect on a 4 cylinder.

Worth pondering the numbers again that I posted above for the petrol 250 and diesel 250 on the C estate. Identical power output at 204 hp (who would have thought a diesel of just over 2 litres would do that? A Corvette C4 American muscle car was only 206hp!) So same power. Massively more torque from the diesel 500 v 310. Same 0-62 time of 7.4 seconds (same as an S class 320). Similar top speed (diesel a bit quicker in fact). Diesel version costs a few hundred less, depreciates less, is in two lower VED bands and goes 33% further on a gallon of fuel. What's not to like? IMO the progress that has been made with diesel engines is one of the most amazing success stories of the last few decades.

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I drove the 220 version of this engine. The low speed pick up was incredible but it wasn't 6clyinder diesel smooth.

I'm not that fussed myself, the modern diesels are good enough even as 4pots for power and refinement with bags of torque and excellent economy.

But the petrol will be smoother again....

OP
A

AMGry Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well the rear footwell of the C250CDI Coupe is this morning completely sodden - this is sadly the unfortunate reason for the exchange into the 250CGI Coupe btw, not just a "tried diesel, did'nt like it, got more money than sense" exercise (which I really do wish was the case!)

The last 12 months with the CDI have been problematic to say the least and with the water leak has become a car I am not prepared to continue make family sacrifices each month to pay for. Following a letter to MB UK, MB Retail in Solihull have bent over backwards to assist me and offered me a choice of either :

Mar 2011 C250CDI Coupe auto, metallic, leather, panoramic, heated seats 18k miles; this is an identical spec car to mine other than mine is a slightly younger May 2011 car with just 14k miles) or,

Mar 2012 C250CGI Coupe auto, metallic, leather, panoramic, COMAND, Dynamic Handling, Harmon Kardon 12 spkr, lighting package, 11k miles

So with only doing 10k mainly city miles per annum you can see why I have opted for the petrol car; straight swap with no extra money per month on the PCP scheme but I get to start a new 3 yr plan so I get to keep in a C Couope longer; the FFV is 10% less, so my hard-earned deposit provided last December when I bought the CDI, is no less safe.

Driving the CGI, the first thing I noticed is that it was smooth as silk, almost funeral procession smooth, like a V6; I always felt the CDI was smooth for 4-pot diesel but since driving the petrol car........; I'll not go there but needless to say, it is a totally different car.

I'll not pretend that the mpg will be comparable on long runs, but if I get 28mpg overall I'll be very happy (I have only got 30.8 in CDI over last 1800 miles); but as an ex C32 AMG owning petrol-head, for my monthly payments I need more than economy and off the lights with the Dynamic Handling button engaged which speeds up the 7G shifts, I was bowled over.

Will post some photos when I collect Monday, but here's a picture of the C250 CDI on a summer's evening after a good Extra Gloss Autoglymming, which was nearly a really lovely car but for the problems

Attachments

• IMG_2397s.jpg
    IMG_2397s.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 7

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
The inclusion of COMAND and Xenon headlights (presumably with intelligent lighting) is probably well worth the slight extra cost in fuel. On modern Mercs, both systems are excellent.

OP
A

AMGry Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The inclusion of COMAND and Xenon headlights (presumably with intelligent lighting) is probably well worth the slight extra cost in fuel. On modern Mercs, both systems are excellent.

Hey BillyBoy,

Thanks for the vote of confidence; I am thinking with £3k more extras it's a good deal, especially as the car I am getting into is nearly a year younger and the FFV in 3 yrs is lesser than the outgoing car

The lamps are intelligent adaptive xenons as standard on all UK C Coupes; the lighting package I mention is more for convenience with red warning/white puddle lights on doors' edges*, downlighters in door mirrors and lit handle recess, lighting in footwells and illuminated knurled vent wheels.

* Can you believe this is an extra? this is basic safety and I could not believe my diesel Coupe (without this package) comes with a refective sticker that would not look out of place on my 10 year olds school anorak - WTF?

Cheers BILL

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
Having driven both versions of the 250, it's my opinion that there is still a vast gulf between them in noise and vibes, though most noticeable at low speed. The Diesel still sounds like a tractor, and there's a definite thrum felt.

Once at motorway speed then there's little in it.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Ditto.

I only had the C class 250 petrol for a couple of days but the main difference I noticed compared with the diesel was that you have to use the revs a lot on the petrol one to get the power.

Although they both offer 204 hp, the diesel peaks at 4,200 while the petrol needs 5,500 revs. And, of course, the diesel has massively more torque (500 versus only 310 for the petrol) and so offers instant response in any gear at virtually any revs - a great feeling in modern traffic.

Probably depends how you drive, which you will prefer. If you like using the gears and going right up through the rev range, the petrol feels good. If not the diesel feels more punchy and more useable. Both do 0-62 in a bit over 7 seconds. The diesel has a slightly higher top speed but both offer way above any speed you might use in the UK.

The petrol costs a few hundred more to buy but depreciates faster because it has a combined figure on the C estate of 41.5 versus a remarkable 55.4 for the diesel.

The petrol version is two VED bands higher at £170 per year versus £120 for the diesel.

The diesels cost more than the petrols - not the other way round. Are you getting confused because one offers auto as standard, and the other it's a £1500 odd option?

Top Bottom