What are the best tyres to use?

mye250cab

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e-classcab/2012/250cdi
Hi,

I am a new to this forum, I have 2012 e250 cabriolet and have managed to pick up a puncture in both of the rear tyres which not great considering the car is only 3 months old.

Anyway generally I have found the factory fit Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT not that great as they dont seem to give that much grip in the wet or dry.

What are the best tyres to use generally in terms of performance and road handling?

Or should I stick to the factory fit brand?

Also are the SP Sport Maxx GT run flats? as a garage told me these are and they could not repair the puncture.

Advice for the above is appreciated.

Cheers

:D

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Yes tyres are a matter of choice and certainly if yours are runflats then you need to consider how to cope with a puncture if you change to a standard tyre. I suspect that your car doesn't have a spare nor a can of sealant if it came fitted with runflats.

Personally I've never had any gripes with Michelin Primacy HP, they're not an out and out sport tyre though and may not be available in the size that you require.

Currently I'm using Bridestone RE030's (I think) as my summer tyre and these seem to be pretty good.

I've used BF Goodrich Potenza's in the past but they only lived for 11000 miles on the back.

Many on here like Continentals, but they can be pricey , and then you get a lot of good reviews regarding Kumho tyres, especially as they used to be a lot cheaper than the standard premium brands, but I gather that they're prices are increasing due to demand.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many people do not like the run flats as the ride tends to be rather hard, there are loads secondhand for sale on Ebay, some like new. I have Dunlop Sports on my CL, the ride is god as is the grip along with a fairly low noise figure

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
Nankangs they are the best and the old yokohama ns2 pattern very good wet and dry

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Bridgestone Potenzas are without doubt the most over rated tyre I have ever used. Still selling on a reputation gained many years ago even though tyre technology has moved on since. Not cheap either, my Falkens 912's are far better than the Potenza.

Russ

Fleetwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005. SL350
I think the best tyres to use are the black round ones with air in them !

Yeah not a useful post but its Christmas !

PKNutsy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI Sport
Pirelli P Zeros are also a good bet. good grip and low noise.

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
I don't think so.

If you ditch the run flats you may need to inform your insurer btw!!!!

FROM EXPERIENCE Ruinflats are awful. They feel like they will let go at anytime. The reason is twofold, the higher strength wall with significantly higher pressure. Change them for normal tyres and it will transform your car. As stated this is from experience.

If any of you reading this are motorcyclists or ex motorcyclists imagine rinding a bike with about 50psi in the tyres that's the same sensation as runflats. Designed in conjunction with BMW do I need to say more.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Potenzas were OE on my 350Z - they were okay on that (bit noisy), but it was a relatively heavy car. (A bit of slip & slide was also quite good fun).

They were not as much cop on my BM 123d (run-flat too) - ride really was unforgivable, although I lay most of the blame for that at BMWs door!

Ironically, the best all-round performance I've got from tyres in recent years was on a Prodrive-equipped Impreza - Michelin Pilot Sport, over 18,500 miles when I sold it, and the tyres were still 60-70% remaining. (The Impreza was used 'appropriately', not abused, I might add!)

Hankook Evo 12 are OE on my MINI Cooper SD and so far been quite impressed with them (non run flat).

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
generally black ones that go round and round:D...sorry couldnt help myself:D

sailorjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB C200 EXECUTIVE ESTATE 2018
Not entirely true that run-flats can'tbe repaired, it depends on the nature of the defect and attitude of the repairer. We had a perfectly satisfactory repair carried out by, I think, ATS on a tyre on my wife's beamer about 18 months ago. She's happy, cost about £20 as I remember. Of course, they may now have changed their policy but it's worth a go.

In this case it was a small screw straight through the tread.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom