Mercedes C220 CDI SUBMARINE

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
My neighbour wife just rang my doorbell and asked if I could help her apparently her husband had just ran his 2006 Mercedes C220 CDI Coupe through a 3ft deep flood, she wondered if I could go and collect the car with my old breakdown truck I told her not to try starting it and I will be there in a few mins.

I went out to start the truck and she came running back saying its ok he got it started and its now in the drive:mad:, she asked if I would check it over as I do the servicing on it.

I nipped down to his house and it was ticking over in the drive with clouds of smoke pouring from the exhaust:shock:, I knocked it off and opened the bonnet, I opened the airbox and found the air filter sodden:( I took the filter out and started the engine up and its definately had a good drink, I removed the oil filler cap and its got massive blow by, also when revving it past 2k rpm it has a real missfire.

At this point I declared it well and truly sick and told him to ring his insurance company and explain the situation.

The sad thing is..is that this engine gets its air from the top of the radiator which should stop most floods being drawn in,

I asked him how deep the flood was and he said ohh it was pretty deep, it actually went over the bonnet and stalled the engine, unfortunately he repeatedly tried to start it and has probably broke a few piston rings and possibly bent a conrod or two:(.

I would reckon the insurance will probably write it off.........what do you guys reckon?

Alfi

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I reckon some people are extremely stupid.

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Funnily that was my 1st thought, it was more the insurance situation I was asking about though:rolleyes:

Alfie

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If the interior has got wet at all they pretty much write them off because of the contaminants in the water

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
If the interior has got wet at all they pretty much write them off because of the contaminants in the water

Funnily enough the interior is dry, I reckon he had that much momentum he went straight through the flood and out the other side, and then the engine died.

Alfie

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
Why do people do this - see videos of people driving normal cars through floods. Personally I wouldn't drive through something any deeper than sill height (ie. I'd expect to be able to open the door and stay dry). It's not worth it. I'd just turn round and find another way/go home.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde

I think the interior is the least of his worries.

However, if he is sharp and gets the car weighed in quickly, he'll get a better price for it because of the weight of all the additional water.

Every cloud...

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
The sad thing is..is that this engine gets its air from the top of the radiator which should stop most floods being drawn in,

And where does the bow wave have to go when it meets a big oncoming flat surface? Yes, straight over the top!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I watched the clips on the news of people flying through the floods, so some folk are that stupid.

I wonder if the time will come when doing this will be excluded from the insurance policies, it would be an easy way to get rid of a car with big problems, drive in into a flood and claim

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Have fixed plenty of water damaged CDI engines in the past, and it is usually conrods bending and main bearing cap bolts stretching.
Pistons may even be OK.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I think that he'd have abetter chance of getting a payout if he'd opened the doors and filled the car with water.

Perhaps you could find a flooded carpark to drag it out to for him.

HeavyOil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
202 & 463
Why do people do this - see videos of people driving normal cars through floods. Personally I wouldn't drive through something any deeper than sill height (ie. I'd expect to be able to open the door and stay dry). It's not worth it. I'd just turn round and find another way/go home.

Wish I could exclude it from my cover - it's a risk I personally accept. Many claims are caused by recklessness/stupidy.

In my postcode vicinity there are quite a few total losses on 'Water Lane' which floods from the tidal Thames. You'd think the name would be a hint.

william28ho

Reaction score
Hi - I agree with Alex crow comment. Diesel engine can be repair after going through a flood but not advisable if the car is not a 4x4, because the air in take is much lower when compare to a 4x4.
Therefore imagine the scenario, whereby the water is higher than the car's bonnet. Where will the water enter? Car's engine.

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I think that he'd have abetter chance of getting a payout if he'd opened the doors and filled the car with water.

Perhaps you could find a flooded carpark to drag it out to for him.

Ha ha thats a bit too naughty:shock:

Alfie

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom