W212 Wiper delay

Beemer2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 petrol W212
I find the wiper delay system frustrating in my 2011 E250 W212. It offers two positions of auto wipe but no option to select a fixed time delay. The auto wipe is erratic as sometimes in any of the two settings it fails to clear the screen for up to five seconds even when there is significant rain-spots lying.

Has there ever been a software update to this system or even a mod that reverts to the traditional timed method?

Ian

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The first postilion is an auto wipe when rain is detected on the screen, the second is the same but speed related I think, in the event of a fault in the light sensor the system reverts to intermittent wipe.

I have noticed that sometimes the screen has to get quite wet before the wipers kick in, a good clean on the glass with T cut has improved mine

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
But not over the sensor :)

The water needs to bead on the area of glass over the rain sensor.

daveyjp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B160 SE Blue Efficiency
The MB system is frustrating so I never use the auto setting.

Instead I use an ample coating of Rainex (actually the Turtlewax version as its cheaper!) - it's my job for sometime today prior to the 1000+ miles I will be doing over the next couple of weeks. Once on you can forget needing any wipers above about 40mph.

daveyjp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B160 SE Blue Efficiency
I've used Rainex for 20+ years and never had a problem. You do need to trust the product though and when its raining let it do its thing, don't have wipers going constantly as this causes it to smear.

You do need to apply it correctly though. I clean the glass with Mer window cleaner then apply two coats of Rainex, after that the wipers are only required very occasionally.

OP
Beemer2

Beemer2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 petrol W212
I've used Rainex for 20+ years and never had a problem. You do need to trust the product though and when its raining let it do its thing, don't have wipers going constantly as this causes it to smear.

You do need to apply it correctly though. I clean the glass with Mer window cleaner then apply two coats of Rainex, after that the wipers are only required very occasionally.

I bought Rainex 20 years ago. Used it twice and was not happy with the result. A further result is that the bottle is still in my garage.

I should not have to use such a product to fix a problem introduced by MB. I will try using "Intensive Screen Clean" which I already have but what was wrong with the selectable timed interval method?

Ian

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am sure that you have auto rain sensing wipers

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I bought Rainex 20 years ago. Used it twice and was not happy with the result. A further result is that the bottle is still in my garage.

I should not have to use such a product to fix a problem introduced by MB. I will try using "Intensive Screen Clean" which I already have but what was wrong with the selectable timed interval method?

Ian

Nothing but I suspect most find the auto wipers a step forward. I like the system.

OP
Beemer2

Beemer2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 petrol W212
I am sure that you have auto rain sensing wipers

I know that I have them, its just that their operation is erratic especially when it is leaving the screen wet too long.

Ian

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know that I have them, its just that their operation is erratic especially when it is leaving the screen wet too long.

Ian

I must say that I have noticed the same problem in the last 2 weeks, but never before and never on the 230 SL. With the CL I have to turn the switch when in slow moving traffic.

I will take a look to see if anything can be altered on the timing

OP
Beemer2

Beemer2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 petrol W212
I would rather the bias was towards too early/much wiping than too little. I have even experienced a wipe-delay start when passing a spraying truck such that I had to quickly select the continuous wipe position when halfway along the truck.

I'm hoping that this must be software programmable.

Ian

cliveyboy8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 C320 CDi. 1985 230E. 2005 Westfield 1800 SEiW.

Ian

Just press the end of the stalk to getone sweep of the wipers. Simples!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just press the end of the stalk to getone sweep of the wipers. Simples!

True, a light touch would not operate the washers, sounds good to me :D

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom