Things to check when buying a cls

Neel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 330
Hi

I'm going to look at a cls tomorrow, hopefully to buy it.

What are the things I should look out for

It's a cls 320cdi.2007.
Has higher milage at 72,000
Cost is 9500

Any helpful hints would be great

Regards

Neel

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Watch out for admiring glances - there are few cars with more road presence.

Service history is paramount.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
If i were going for another V6 Diesel then I would have the oil seal changed that is responsible for contaminating the inlet port shut off motor..
A few forward thinking indies are now changing these every other service...
Much cheaper than waiting for a £550 bill !!
Oh and treat it to an ATF and filter change..
For peace of mind you cannot beat preventative maintenance..

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Watch out for admiring glances

Especially if it is one with the AMG package. Apart from that he should be on the look out for those who key cars for no reason.

@OP,

I have had mine now for a little over 15 months. I can't recall having any major issue except that the crankshaft sensor went after 8 months of ownership but that was covered under the warranty (total cost= £243.24). Symptoms = CLS would refuse to start at irregular intervals. Diagnosed and fault was traced to the crankshaft sensor. The second problem, this time car out of warranty, in the month of August, the car will refuse to start displaying a message on the cluster Reduced braking power - 'start engine'. I thought it was the SBC pump that went. Diagnosed and fault was traced to my battery. The battery was new when I purchased the vehicle but a single circuit in the battery was faulty thus refusing to boost enough power to the the alternator. I had to replace the battery. (total cost = £150.00). Recently, I have this message showing up on the cluster in red font "Visit workshop". It could be the alternator that has gone wrong as suggested by a friend. I will book the car in at the same time as the B service to get everything done at once.

Also, don't forget owning a CLS comes with challenges. People can key your vehicle at any time for the sole reason that you drive a CLS, so you need to watch out for this. Apart from these few issues, nothing really major. The only thing I have been doing to the baby is modifying it, trashing majority of cars on the motorway, putting fuel and enjoying the luscious V8 engine. The B service is coming up in 701 miles and even at this, it's still not an expensive service.
Go with your eyes wide open, check the service history, check the tyres, the CLSs are rust free, so close your eyes on that one. I have owned my car now 6 months outside of a warranty and nothing really major but if you want you could still buy an extra warranty if you want to be on the safer side.

Don't forget to post pictures here as soon you get your baby because we love to see pictures of the CLS. Isn't she a beauty? Oh yes she is. :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
If i were going for another V6 Diesel then I would have the oil seal changed that is responsible for contaminating the inlet port shut off motor..
A few forward thinking indies are now changing these every other service...

Where is this seal exactly? :confused: And how much-ish for someone else to change it?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Just make sure it's got a 55K engine lurking under the bonnet :twisted:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Or a 63...

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Just make sure it's got a 55K engine lurking under the bonnet :twisted:

Hum, for me it was between 55K engine and fully loaded options in a 500 and the choice was an easy one. But I do scratch my head from time to time for that 55k engine and I always make way for them on the motorway.
smiley_bow.gif

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hum, for me it was between 55K engine and fully loaded options in a 500 and the choice was an easy one. But I do scratch my head from time to time for that 55k engine and I always make way for them on the motorway.
smiley_bow.gif

There is only ½ a second in it up to 60mph with the 273 engine, and you are not going to be doing this much any way :D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Keep telling yourself that Malc ;)

The figures only tell a fraction of the story. The power delivery, the relentless thrust in the back up to and way, way beyond 60 is intoxicating...

Oh and the noise, no it's not noise, it's music, it's a symphony of bhp, torque, with a scream of supercharger thrown in.

I'm soooo happy I decided on the 55K. I've had powerful cars in the past but they have been stripped out road racers, hot, painfully noisy, with all the comforts of a park bench in January! The CLS is everything I could wish for in a car.

Oh, my good heavens, I'm sounding like st4 now!! :Oops:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Or a 63...

I think the 55K is still the daddy, not just me either many I've spoken with have expressed a liking for the 55K over the 63.
The 55K has 85Nm more torque than the 63 and only 21 horses less but it's in the way the power is delivered that still provides more thrills

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Keep telling yourself that Malc ;)

The figures only tell a fraction of the story. The power delivery, the relentless thrust in the back up to and way, way beyond 60 is intoxicating...

Oh and the noise, no it's not noise, it's music, it's a symphony of bhp, torque, with a scream of supercharger thrown in.

I'm soooo happy I decided on the 55K. I've had powerful cars in the past but they have been stripped out road racers, hot, painfully noisy, with all the comforts of a park bench in January! The CLS is everything I could wish for in a car.
Oh, my good heavens, I'm sounding like st4 now!! :Oops:

Not everyone wants the expense of the AMG or seeks any thrill in pinning the passengers to their seats. I prefer these days to drive in silence, just like many others.

I could have bought a CL55 or 65 easier than my 500, as most AMG's have more of the extra's that I desire or must have.

Most know that I do drive up to 150mph when possible, so I am no slouch, the AMG would be a total waste of money in the running and servicing cost for me, that includes where we live and the lifestyle we lead.

I have had more than my fair share of exotic cars in my life, and I do not crave them any more, so been there and done it years ago, these days with Lilian we drive in comfort and style. :D:D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
So long as you are happy with what you have Malc ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So long as you are happy with what you have Malc ;)

I think that all of my post would show that I am very happy with what I have, a very fast luxury car with all the toys that you could wish for :D:D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I think that all of my post would show that I am very happy with what I have, a very fast luxury car with all the toys that you could wish for :D:D

Except a sign reading camera? And a couple of other toys you mentioned I'm sure. But as I said you are happy, that's all that matters. :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Except a sign reading camera? And a couple of other toys you mentioned I'm sure. But as I said you are happy, that's all that matters. :)

Those things are only 2011-12 onwards, they are not worth the £30k that it would cost me,,,couple of years and yes I might get a newer one :D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Those things are only 2011-12 onwards, they are not worth the £30k that it would cost me,,,couple of years and yes I might get a newer one :D

Indeed, just trivia, focus on what makes a car a real car. Brrrmm, Brrmm ;)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom