E55 AMG rear airmatic sagging.

icarus51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG 2003 5.4V8
Hi All,
I own a 2003 E55AMG 171000 miles, I car I absolutely adore :) and will not give up as long as I can. My local indie has found that the large pre shaped pipes that come off the top of the rear airmatic struts and go to the small air reservoirs on both sides are leaking, perished because of an oil leak from the drive shaft oil seals(obviously these are being replaced). I have the following questions:-
1) Can these pipes be replaced without replacing the entire strut?
2) If I have to get new struts, what's the difference between A2113201325 post 31/3/2003 and A2113200825 pre 31/3/2003.
3) Does the sub frame really have to come off for the new struts to be replaced?
4) Does anyone know where I can get the struts apart from a merc stealership?:evil:

Hope to get some positive results,

And Merry Christmas to all members.

Tony

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Rear subframe has to come down.

The tanks and pipes are a complet unit with the bag and cannot be taken apart.

Merc parts only,

Really not a nice job full stop.....

Last edited:

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E63s S213, SOLD - 2013 Weistec E63 AMG, SOLD - 2004 E55 (x2)
Hi All,
I own a 2003 E55AMG 171000 miles, I car I absolutely adore :) and will not give up as long as I can. My local indie has found that the large pre shaped pipes that come off the top of the rear airmatic struts and go to the small air reservoirs on both sides are leaking, perished because of an oil leak from the drive shaft oil seals(obviously these are being replaced). I have the following questions:-
1) Can these pipes be replaced without replacing the entire strut?
2) If I have to get new struts, what's the difference between A2113201325 post 31/3/2003 and A2113200825 pre 31/3/2003.
3) Does the sub frame really have to come off for the new struts to be replaced?
4) Does anyone know where I can get the struts apart from a merc stealership?:evil:

Hope to get some positive results,

And Merry Christmas to all members.

Tony

check out Arnott industries, they make rear struts now and you do not need to change the resevour

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_MERCEDES-BENZ_yid18_pid134.html

they also have a lifetime warrenty

Devonian

Reaction score
That site looks really interesting, shame they don't shio internationally on most of their MB struts :(

OP
I

icarus51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG 2003 5.4V8
Thanks for the replies. I asked my local stealership for a quote on the parts alone. £1550 inc VAT just for the struts:( never mind installing them. I currently have an enquiry at Arnotts about shipping the rear struts to the UK. Silly me, I forgot to include my post code, but they have replied asking for the post code so that they can provide an accurate quote. Here's hoping.
Will keep you informed.

Tony

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We have seperated the hose from the tank before due to the tank having a tiny pin hole from corrosion. The hose is very tight. Then the welded/repaired tank is refitted with new hose clip, with no adverse effects. Officially they shouldn't be seperated.

Last edited:
OP
I

icarus51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG 2003 5.4V8
Hi
latest regarding Arnott industries rear air springs. I placed an order for them last Thu evening and they were DELIVERED on Mon am!!! Very impressive turn round. A couple of points if anyone else is looking to place an order.
1) They DO NOT accept international credit cards.
2) They WILL accept wire transfers or Paypal.

I ordered using Paypal, total cost was $821 for the pair of springs and $106 for the P&P. There was also an import charge which I paid to UPS of £153 which was for VAT and a small admin charge. UPS accept cash or cheque only.
Impressive engineering evident in the springs, the 2 weigh 15 lbs total, what appears to be a red anodised aluminium bottom fitting, air bladder made by Continental and include a new set of upper locating inserts and new air connectors.

My indie is fitting them tomorrow I'll give you all a quick resume when I've spoken to him.

cheers

Tony

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom