engine management light on

Status
Not open for further replies.

gh3382

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML350
On my W209 the engine managent light has come on the dash.

there is no noticable fault and the car is driving noraml.

Under load it sounds fine and is not missing.

any suggestions ?

(hopefully in the right section )

gh3382

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Just get a local garage to plug in a diagnostic - a decent one won't charge you.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If running OK then it may go away as easily as it came,,,just any slight contamination on the O2 sensor can put it on. It may go away on its own and a hard blast often turns the lamp off, if it is a failing MAF then the engine performance will be down. Its happened to many and to me, even a CPS if it faltered on a start up will turn the lamp on so no worries please :D:D

OP
gh3382

gh3382

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML350
Hi television. It gets too many miles around the town and I was thinking a good blast on the motorway might be the answer.

I think I will try it and see what happens

gh3382

OP
gh3382

gh3382

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML350
Hi Guys .

The car needed petrol so filled up with Super unleaded and after a couple of minutes the light went out.

The wife tells me she uses ordinary unleaded from morrisons.

She has now been given instructions what to use which is what I put in and we will see if thats the problem.

I did do a bit of high revving and kicked it down a few times as well.

Glad it looks like it is something minor.

gh3382

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good one :D:D:D never flap at all with the odd warning, most are false :D:D

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Yes Malcolm of course they do, but truth be told it is best to treat almost all faults like this with some seriousness, seeing as they have the working knowledge and many own and run garages I'd believe someone like that if they were to check my vehicle and advise me accordingly over a 'chance opinion' on an internet forum.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes Malcolm of course they do, but truth be told it is best to treat almost all faults like this with some seriousness, seeing as they have the working knowledge and many own and run garages I'd believe someone like that if they were to check my vehicle and advise me accordingly over a 'chance opinion' on an internet forum.

You can have you own views on this and you can do what you like with your own money. If the oil level is ok and the engine running fine with no odd noises you just do not have to run to the dealer, if the fault was bad the engine would stop or you would get a more serious message.

This case here has proved my point :D My CL216 put the lamp on as the CPS was failing and it went out on its own with the new CPS, and no I have not bothered to join up to STAR :D My SL put the lamp on when rushing through Amsterdam, it stayed on for another 100 miles and it went away on its own :D

It can just take a minute bit of something on the O2 sensor and the lamp will come on, but it will go away as it did in this case.:D

Mercedes and many newer cars are notorious for flagging up the odd message, and in most cases they never come back and this has been proved here and elsewhere, but again you are welcome to your view :D thank you for posting :D

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
I didnt say dealer, I said indy. But hey as you said, it's their money so what's an engine rebuild between friends.

Seeing as alot of the members on here ask for help and you offer your word as gospel. I am saying that they tread with caution reading any advice as you cannot diagnose the exact root of the problem without seeing the vehicle. If it is a simple check light goes on but disappears then fine, but what if the trivial fault finding ended up being a lot bigger job.........

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didnt say dealer, I said indy. But hey as you said, it's their money so what's an engine rebuild between friends.

Seeing as alot of the members on here ask for help and you offer your word as gospel. I am saying that they tread with caution reading any advice as you cannot diagnose the exact root of the problem without seeing the vehicle. If it is a simple check light goes on but disappears then fine, but what if the trivial fault finding ended up being a lot bigger job.........

You can turn this around all you wish to, I first got into me saying the chances are the lamp will go away on its own in most cases from back in 2006 with the contaminated fuel crisis. Now I only ever say it on engines that I know, if I have told 100 people to do this and its worked every time, then that is some £10,000 pound saved by members.

A very happy new year to you NWmerc, and do keep trying for you just are not trying hard enough ;):D

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
You can turn this around all you wish to, I first got into me saying the chances are the lamp will go away on its own in most cases from back in 2006 with the contaminated fuel crisis. Now I only ever say it on engines that I know, if I have told 100 people to do this and its worked every time, then that is some £10,000 pound saved by members.

A very happy new year to you NWmerc, and do keep trying for you just are not trying hard enough ;):D

Malcolm, hate to burst your bubble old fruity, but you're not an expert and neither am I..... and as to the saving £10,000 pounds, well nobody will ever really corroborate that alleged fact now will they....... seeing as you and the indys here often dont sing from the same hymn sheet..... we can continue this discussion but you will always have a different opinion to those who actually work on the cars....

Saving money with often wrong advice isnt saving money, it's hunting for a needle in a haystack.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
OP seems to have resolved his issue, If not I'm sure he'll start another thread

You two can take your discussion somewhere private..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom