The End Of Rubbernecking?

as400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350cdi
Frustrated Motorist: What's the delay officer there is a 5 mile tailback of traffic?

Motorway Cop: We are waiting for the screens to arrive and be erected so you can't view the accident, should only be another 30 minutes or so if they can get through.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20851775

Last edited:

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
OMG :shock: why dont they drive round in caravans or pitch up a few tents (operational incident management of course).
Reading the link they even have an acronym -The DfT's CLEAR - collision, lead, evaluate, act and reopen - initiative.
I've got one for them we all might know B.O.L.L.O.X see if they can work out what we mean :)

Perhaps if half of them got proper jobs we wouldn't have to pay for them to stand around all day at every minor prang, analysing the atomic structure and collision of every particle on the motorway.

They just dont get it do they (shakes head and weeps)

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
OMG :shock: why dont they drive round in caravans or pitch up a few tents (operational incident management of course).
Reading the link they even have an acronym -The DfT's CLEAR - collision, lead, evaluate, act and reopen - initiative.
I've got one for them we all might know B.O.L.L.O.X see if they can work out what we mean :)

Perhaps if half of them got proper jobs we wouldn't have to pay for them to stand around all day at every minor prang, analysing the atomic structure and collision of every particle on the motorway.

They just dont get it do they (shakes head and weeps)

They? Who?

DY2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2003 E320 Cdi Automatic
First thoughts, seems a good idea...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If we were all driving around in Reliant Robins, all you need is a stiff broom, just get hold of the steering wheel and pull the engine on front wheels to the road side, let the traffic run through the other remains and the wind will blow it all away:shock::rolleyes:

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Fit large snow shovels to the front of their 4x4's and a tow hook to the back. Thats all they need to curb rubber neckers and keep the Motorways clear.
And any staff still left over who have kept their flashy day-glo jackets, can each be given a broom and black sack.

daveyjp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B160 SE Blue Efficiency
Except the 'rubbernecking' starts as soon as the accident happens, but they aren't rubberneckers they are other motorists who maybe want to assist.

Once traffic slows on a busy motorway traffic eventually stops further down the queue.

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
Davey is right.. Ive been to way too many prangs as a rescue guy and a news guy in the past decade. Sure, people are curious, but I have seen sooo many people slowly cruise past and OFFER help. Serious help. So many foilks can offer so many skills to help its not funny.

In my rescue days, I went to one prang (minibus rollover after collision with car) and there was a lady, cool as a cucumber holding the neck of one of the patients ejected from the bus. Simply, she was stopping the patient from becoming a quadraplegic. As soon as I arrived, and got the collar on, she was off... never to be seen again.

What really pi$$ed me off was that I never got to THANK her.

At the same prang, one of the local doctors was driving past, and stopped. He managed to get the IV drugs going with our intensive care crew prior to the helicopter arriving.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Thats great. But surely the majority of prangs don't end up so serious yet they or people like yourself, take forever to clear it up.
No wonder people look. Its to see what the hall is taking so long.
Once casualty's have been dealt with - thats it.
Clear the road.
But oh no. Out come the investigators, then another 2 hours for tow trucks.
Then of course the council man has to inspect the highway and instigate repairs. Then the horticulturist to check the flora.
Once the screens go up, out will pop the card tables and sandwich van arrives.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Just clear the wreckage and there won't be a problem! you have to laugh.

On 3 occasions now I've been driving on busy motorways round here and traffic suddenly comes to a stop. It's clear the traffic has stopped and isn't filtering through as everyone stops dead, engine off, get out, etc. In each occasion within 15 minutes everyone is racing to restart engines and head off at normal speed and you see the wreckage on the hard shoulder/grass at the side 1/2 a mile down the road being loaded onto a tow truck...and there's usually one or maybe two police cars.

Unless there are serious injuries surely the whole motorway should be shut and everything towed out of harms way and then reopened...so much safer and better than the close two lanes approach and then because the traffic in one lane is flowing it doesn't count as a closure so they'll happily take 6 hours + to clear it.

OP
as400

as400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350cdi
Just clear the wreckage and there won't be a problem! you have to laugh.

Yes I love how in India and SE Asia on the roads and rail-tracks (10 people die everyday on the Mumbai stretch alone!) they just move the body to one side, the economy is the most important thing and traffic and trade must continue and not be held up by a stupid corpse.

Now police are obsessed with tape measures and photographs and holding everyone up.

When I used to commute out of Waterloo I would hate how a suicide at Wimbledon would shut down SE Trains network. Grrrrrr!

stevieb15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
98 r129 sl500,90 W126 500SE,03 CLK 320 Avant Convertible
The main problem seems to be our obsession with finding someone to pin the blame on.
Accidents happen, if we are really so concerned with road safety there are many preventative measures that can be taken before the event...instead of the nonsense that goes on after it.

On a slightly unrelated point, this new ad against smoking is really peeing me off, I'd rather see the money spent on the elderly than telling us all what we already know, even the countries greatest dunces are aware smoking tobacco isn't a cure all!

Last edited:

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
Yes I love how in India and SE Asia on the roads and rail-tracks (10 people die everyday on the Mumbai stretch alone!) they just move the body to one side, the economy is the most important thing and traffic and trade must continue and not be held up by a stupid corpse.

Now police are obsessed with tape measures and photographs and holding everyone up.

When I used to commute out of Waterloo I would hate how a suicide at Wimbledon would shut down SE Trains network. Grrrrrr!

Easy answer..move to India if you think it's that great ;)

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
it's not someome to blame

it's someone to prosecute and punish if a crime has been committed, like drink-driving, driving w/out due care and attention, twoccing or any of the other myriad things contributing to poor driving and death on the roads.

Do you seriously suggest not collecting the evidence and throwing away the chance of prosecuting someone who really ought not to be driving and causing mayhem, death and destruction. To get the job done properly takes time. You can't do it on mobile phone footage alone, much as you'd like it to be so.

The answer is actually more 'proper' Traffic police, not fewer. They can then deal with things a bit quicker than currently. They cost money though, and this lot aren't in a rush to provide the funds. no more than the last lot. I'd rather see camera fines ploughed straight into traffic plods, and see them patrolling the roads again, instead of just being an after-the-fact response resource.

I don't like sitting in a jam any more than anyone else, but if that's the cost of taking a criminal driver off the road, so be it.

Last edited:

stevieb15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
98 r129 sl500,90 W126 500SE,03 CLK 320 Avant Convertible
Strongly agree re more "real" traffic officers on the roads.
The problem is all our various authorities love their technology, back room hordes and a seemingly unquenchable thirst for control.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Well Id agree if they (the Government depts that manage them) were serious, but do you really think anyone is? Its all about jobs and easy revenue. If they were really worried about driving standards they would introduce better routine driving checks for everyone.
If they were genuinely concerned about the drivers and vehicles on our roads there would be better checks at the borders and immigration controls.
If they were concerned about the vast number of drunk drivers they would restrict the sales of alcohol, and create fewer alcoholics.
If they cared about the economy they would have fewer secret police in unmarked cars and tax people less.
And if they cared about people they would provide proper care and decent CLEAN hospitals where people could get that care.

(my local hospital has just [STRIKE]wasted[/STRIKE] spent 22 million on a helicopter landing pad).
Literally built six feet in front of the nearest of the surgical ward bay windows, where they now have to be sealed shut with no ventilation or air-con. Why? So they can deal with the occasional road accident victim after crashing their stolen car or racing their mates.

Please dont try and kid anyone its about justice or saving lives. That sort of PR is for fools and idiots.
Its about ego. Power, control and jobs for the boys.

Attachments

• landing pad Hospital.jpg
    landing pad Hospital.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
If you can get your tax refund and pension while out there, I'd go in a heartbeat.
Certainly warmer . :p

By all means go to India dicky. I hear they have a real shortage of key board warriors.

For all its faults Britain is still by far the greatest place to be what a year its been, plenty to celebrate!

..don't forget to write now.. ;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom