r230 sl500 consumer battery....

cfoster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 AMG PPP, C220 CDi Sport, Lexus GS300 SE-L
Hi all and merry Xmas....

Decided to get my sl500 out of the garage and give it a run to the missus parents for Xmas dinner.... When I started it got the usual electic consumer offline, took about 10 mins for it to go off.... Haven't used it for ages so guessed it was normal. Had to drive 60 or so miles... About 5 hours later after dinner started the car and message came up again, cleared again etc... I would've thought that after a long run the battery would hold charge... Anyway I think it seems that I will need to replace the battery, does anyone know how much an MB Dealer would charge to supply one? Or can I source from eurocarparts or similar for less?

Cheers
Chris

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
From a dealer in Nov/2011 £93.00 incl discount and VAT for the consumer battery itself. Plus labour for diagnosis and testing (ie no current drains) and fitting.

I still get the message "convenience functions n/a" if I don't use it for 2-3 weeks (as quite often happens, especially this weather) but it disappears within a couple of miles. That seems to be the difference between a new and an old battery.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you have not used a SL230 for a few says its quite normal to get the consumers off message for a few minutes, one never knows the state of the battery when you last used it.

I had my 230 for 6 years and by just giving it a good charge once a month there was no problems at all. AGM batteries normally last some 10 years, my 2002 original battery I am still using in my 140 CL

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I would echo what Malcolm says to some extent. I have seen the consumers offline usually after leaving it for 4/5 days if it hasn't had many long runs and about 2 weeks after a long run ... I don't intend to worry about it until it happens every day...

I have to admit to being pretty blasé about that these days...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would echo what Malcolm says to some extent. I have seen the consumers offline usually after leaving it for 4/5 days if it hasn't had many long runs and about 2 weeks after a long run ... I don't intend to worry about it until it happens every day...

I have to admit to being pretty blasé about that these days...

When I bought that car it had a battery drain and I replaced the battery in late 2006 so that should be good for a number of years yet. The standing current was 50ma at the time of selling it, so no problems at all.

As you rightly say so many worry about this message, if you start one of these cars and just drive it 10 miles and then back home, by the time the car has gone to sleep there will be more taken out of the battery than has been put back in.

I say again with an AGM battery its easy to get it up to 12v, but to get that last ½ volt in can take ages hence a good charge once a month if not used that much.

OP
C

cfoster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm, as a little update started it this morning and it was fine, so perhaps it was the fact that it was left in my garage unused for a couple of months was the cause!

Chris

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
How about a trickle charger ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How about a trickle charger ?

It is not an easy thing, a AMG battery does require a constant charge,,,automatic chargers do not work very well on them. I will try a trickle charge and see over the next few days

OP
C

cfoster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was going to try that as well, battery could just do with a good charge.....

Not really too keen on buying a new one if its ok to be honest as I will be parting with it in the next few months when spring is here :(....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any charger capable of charging at 4 amps or more will do just fine, it will probably take 20 hours to get it right up as the current falls away as the battery charges

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom