Solar battery chargers

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
I am doing a lot of short runs at the moment and looking at a solar charger to ensure the battery is always tiptop.

This is the one I am looking at http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-12v-1.5w-battery-trickle-charger-98358

My question is will this work if plugged into the front (ashtray) power socket on my 211. If it makes any difference, it is not a cigar lighter, but a power socket. I'm not sure if it needs to be a permanent live if that is the right phrase for this to work.

Many thanks

Adam

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Gut feeling says it will not make any appreciable contribution to charging the battery.

And yes, the socket would need to be a permanent live.

OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
Cheers, happy to look for something with more oomph. Do you know if the 211 has a permanent live ?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I think it is switchable simply by changing the fuse location. Have a look at the fuse map in the fuse box, end of dash, driver's side

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
To allow for the limited charging angle to get the max charge it would require a much bigger one, you have the losses through the glass a well, they are small but add up.

That one will do nothing in the car

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The biggest loss would be through heat retention. PV efficiency reduces as heat increases.

What do MB fit as OEM to cars?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
No, TBH get yourself a trickle charger, one of the CTEK range and be sure of getting the desired result..

OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have one of those, just wanted something I could leave when car not in use/airport car park.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
A fully charged battery should be OK for 14 days.

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Daeths, My 2 lock ups have no power I have used 2 of these on each wired both positives and both negatives together (Series or paralell) which ever and never had a flat battery (car or motorcycle) longest time was just short of 3 MONTHS over the winter period. So I say that they work, for that price you could afford 2. IIRC they say that you can use the suckers and attatch them to your windows, never used them that way but caravan and boat owners swear by them. PS I own neither a boat or a caravan.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Daeths, My 2 lock ups have no power I have used 2 of these on each wired both positives and both negatives together (Series or paralell) which ever and never had a flat battery (car or motorcycle) longest time was just short of 3 MONTHS over the winter period. So I say that they work, for that price you could afford 2. IIRC they say that you can use the suckers and attatch them to your windows, never used them that way but caravan and boat owners swear by them. PS I own neither a boat or a caravan.

Thank you for your post, just to help clear up some unknown facts, what size are you using

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Malcolm, I have had them for a number of years. At a guess they are about 14 - 16" long and 5 - 6" wide and about 1/2" thick, as to power output I have no idea. They will not light a 12v bulb even in the middle of summer, but as stated above I have never had a flat battery since I have used them and the longest break was only a few days short of 3 months. Besides the motorcycles I have had both petrol and diesel Mercedes and BMW hooked up to them.

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
I agree with the Panman. I have these solar things on my 300SE and a Syncro and will last at least 8 weeks between starts. They wont charge anything but they will slow down the rate of discharge quite a bit. I plug mine directly to the battery on the 300SE as the cigar lighter is ignition controlled.

Last edited:
OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think it is switchable simply by changing the fuse location. Have a look at the fuse map in the fuse box, end of dash, driver's side

Ok I'm struggling. Handbook says the fuse boon is in the boot (it's and estate) nothing there looked drivers end of dash and can't see anything there. Can anyone help with my 211 fuse box so that I can see if I can have a permanent live on the power socket.

Cheers and apologies for asking what is probably a really simple answer.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok I'm struggling. Handbook says the fuse boon is in the boot (it's and estate) nothing there looked drivers end of dash and can't see anything there. Can anyone help with my 211 fuse box so that I can see if I can have a permanent live on the power socket.

The trouble is that whitenimisis took that from another thread so it could be just hearsay, and he knows little about electrics.

Now I can take a look but not easy as there are 5 different layouts for the fuse boxes, what year is your car and early or late that year

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

My mistake, it's in the engine compartment fuse box

Check this post by Troon

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showpost.php?p=954356&postcount=5

OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thx to all for your help. To assist others, on a 211 estate there are three fuse boxes.

1. In the boot, next to the nav box
2. At the end of the dashboard (drivers side) - open the door to see. There is a groove halfway up to insert a flat bladed screwdriver to prise of the trim - carefully.
3. In the engine compartment, top left (looking from the front of the car)

It is the engine compartment fuse box that hold the ashtray power socket fuse.

As per the previously posted diagram, moved the fuse as shown (sideways half a groove) and I now have a permanent live on the ashtray power socket.

Now to buy a solar charger !

Many thanks again and I hope my idiots guide helps others - I work on the basis that I get it, everyone will :Oops:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am pleased it all worked as via the link that Peter put up, so thank you for that and it saved much searching.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom