Auto wipers problem-R230

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDi Sport&R172 SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Guys, just recently the auto/intermittent setting for my wipers has been playing up. When the wipers are put on the 1st setting on the control stalk (int/auto) the wipers wipe once as they should and then won't wipe intermittently or speed up and slow down according to how heavy the rainfall is. They don't wipe at all. Randomly, they will wipe about every five or six minutes, but the level of rainfall has no affect on when this single wipe occurs.
I was wondering if the wire had become loose on the sensor so took the covering off behind the RVM on the windscreen and found three separate sensors. All wires look OK. I have taken a picture of what I saw from the inside and the outside. Any idea which sensor is which?
I presume one is an ambient light sensor and one the rain sensor, and no idea what the other one is. The lowest sensor seems to have two round 'windows' and the middle one (which shows up blue with the flash of my camera) seems rectangular and has a sort of red LED. Although you cannot see it in the picture, it seems to have a couple of small bubbles in where it's stuck to the screen. Could this be the rain sensor and the problem? Any ideas how I can test it and exactly what the three sensors are? TIA

Attachments

• int.jpg
    int.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 50
  • ext.jpg
    ext.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would get them re set on STAR, the sensitivity may have fallen off a bit.

OP
reflexboy

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will do. Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We had a thread the other day on this and I feel that my wipers are not sensitive enough. I will put mine on STAR and re do and let you know what the difference is after :D For now I just tap the end of the knob lightly to give a sweep without the washers

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
STAR diagnosis should reveal if there is a problem. If they wipe once but never again sensitivity doesn't seem to be the problem..

OP
reflexboy

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We had a thread the other day on this and I feel that my wipers are not sensitive enough. I will put mine on STAR and re do and let you know what the difference is after :D For now I just tap the end of the knob lightly to give a sweep without the washers

Yes, that's exactly what I have been doing. It was ok about a month ago. Let me know how you get on. When I tip water over the sensor area on the screen they don't wipe, so I'm now wondering if I have a bad sensor

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, that's exactly what I have been doing. It was ok about a month ago. Let me know how you get on. When I tip water over the sensor area on the screen they don't wipe, so I'm now wondering if I have a bad sensor

The sensitivity can drop away till they cannot work, we never get actual failures in these things.

If the sensor was actually faulty they should revert to the intermittent mode.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you know if the car has ever had a new screen fitted

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
There is no sensitivity setting in STAR. As long as the setting is correct for the screen tint they will work.

OP
reflexboy

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not to my knowledge. I have had the car over 2 years and its been fine upto recently. I'm pretty sure it's a genuine MB screen

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Not to my knowledge. I have had the car over 2 years and its been fine upto recently. I'm pretty sure it's a genuine MB screen

STAR diagnosis is your first recourse ...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

When I had to reset mine after the new screen was fitted,it took 6 attempts on STAR to activate mine again, now there is no menu in STAR to adjust anything other than activate. I did not dig deeper into it as I knew there was not a fault as they had been fine before, I think that STAR automatically increases the gain at each attempt , and that is why it took 6 attempts to do it, at no time f´did STAR flag up a fault, it just said fail try again. I worked perfectly from then onwards and it still is working.

As the whole system relies upon an in focus beam, to increase the sensitivity too far would end up good anyway.

Some one who has done this may know more, but I will do it to the 216 as soon as possible and see what happens

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

When I had to reset mine after the new screen was fitted,it took 6 attempts on STAR to activate mine again, now there is no menu in STAR to adjust anything other than activate. I did not dig deeper into it as I knew there was not a fault as they had been fine before, I think that STAR automatically increases the gain at each attempt , and that is why it took 6 attempts to do it, at no time f´did STAR flag up a fault, it just said fail try again. I worked perfectly from then onwards and it still is working.

As the whole system relies upon an in focus beam, to increase the sensitivity too far would end up good anyway.

Some one who has done this may know more, but I will do it to the 216 as soon as possible and see what happens

Which was it Malc?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Which was it Malc?

I will not respond again to your twisting of my post just because of your poor understanding on how things work, and I stand by what I have said in both of those post. end of

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Erm.. No twisting Malcolm! You appear to contradict yourself?

But of course, you cannot be, wrong!! :shock:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Are you going to mess up this thread,,, do not blame me for what you do not know,,I have re read and I have not contradicted myself,,,, again you do not know what the meaning of the word sensitivity is, so lay off.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
What ever Malcolm.. You will always have the last word... :)

Shame it's not always the correct one .....

OP
reflexboy

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Guys-relax, it's Christmas. There are far more important things to worry about in life.
You have both been very helpful to me in the past, as you both are now. Please, nobody fall out over my poxy rain sensor! Life is too short guys!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Guys-relax, it's Christmas. There are far more important things to worry about in life.
You have both been very helpful to me in the past, as you both are now. Please, nobody fall out over my poxy rain sensor! Life is too short guys!!

You may have noticed that I am hounded by this mod on many post.

He has taken to quotes from me on two different faults and tried to say that I have contradicted myself.

He accused me of never being wrong , that was a lie as I gave my sincere apologies to a member on the 124 topic yesterday.

The odd thing is that I am the only member on this forum that has repaired all types of electronic parts for members including ECU's, Instrument clusters, heater control units etc, Whitenemisis knows nothing about electronics at all.

I know he thinks that if he keeps up this perpetual harassment that I will snap and he can ban me, and that I can do nothing about.

Again I am so sorry that this thread has been spoilt, just like so many others.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011

I genuinely am struggling with where you are going here that isn't troll like with Malcolm's post. I don't see any contradiction here but maybe I don't understand this well enough.

As a mod though you have a certain standard to maintain ... You are in danger of over stepping that I fear ...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom