203 Wipers - over travel

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Over the last few weeks, windscreen wipers on my x reg C240 203 have began to over travel, hitting the door piller on the drivers side. I realise that some part of the mechanism is worn and no doubt will need to be replaced.

Would anyone on the forum have done this strip down before and is it a complicated job to overhaul the wiper mechanism ?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can find the info for you,,but are you sure that the blade is the correct one and not too long, also check the the fitting for the arm is in the correct place on the blade. I have before now just removed the end cap on the blade and cut ½" off and re fitted the end cap.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Nothing to wear in the mechanism on these I dont think. Check the wiper arm nuts havent worked loose causing the wiper to move on the spline. Shouldnt happen but can.

Maybe some compensatory adjustment is required because of age?? If you do decide to move the arms yourself, be careful, the spring loaded mechanism will smash a windscreen easily if it snaps backward without you expecting it.

OP
Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can find the info for you,,but are you sure that the blade is the correct one and not too long, also check the the fitting for the arm is in the correct place on the blade. I have before now just removed the end cap on the blade and cut ½" off and re fitted the end cap.
TV, It's the same blades for 6 momths now. Bosch originals for the car. Were working fine till recently until they started overshooting.

If you could send me the info on the workings / removal, that would help me out big time.

Last edited:
OP
Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing to wear in the mechanism on these I dont think. Check the wiper arm nuts havent worked loose causing the wiper to move on the spline. Shouldnt happen but can.

Maybe some compensatory adjustment is required because of age?? If you do decide to move the arms yourself, be careful, the spring loaded mechanism will smash a windscreen easily if it snaps backward without you expecting it.
Steve, Yes, age is probably the problem. 158k on an X reg, so suspect something is worn.

Could it be ball joints in the mechanism and what is involved in removing and checking on a 203?
Thanks.

OP
Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I forgot to ask, Can Steve or anyone tell me more about the spring loaded wiper mechanism. Does it spring towards the park position or other?

Im going to attempt to look at this at the weekend.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is no spring for the sideways movement, perhaps the main drive has jumped one spine tooth

OP
Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wipers repaired at the weekend. Problem turned out to be as suggested. The nut that holds on the connecting rod to the wiper motor spindles was not tight and the arm had moved on the splines. Repositioned and all is well.

Most difficult part of the job was refitting the long plastic valance cover which also acts as a seal against the windscreen. Fiddly and sore knuckle job!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom