Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
anything with AMG in it gets my vote:D...sure she will love it:cool:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Here's what someone posted on another forum after having a trial in one: -
"The engine was nice with plenty of power and a real willingness to rev. But the ride..... Oh my god, the ride. The car had only done 1000 miles and already the interior was rattling, presumably due to the complete lack of suspension travel.
Would I buy one? only if they softened the ride. "

Many reviewers have said the same. Avoid the Sport version. The ride is awful.

And some have said avoid the other versions too as the ride on them is pretty awful too. Shame. But it is selling like hot cakes.

The boot is small and the car is dark and fairly cramped in the back. Lot less roomy than the previous A class but the looks sell it for many.

clip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a250
hi, this is my first post to this forum. Stumbled upon it as I am looking at buying an A250 Sport too. Having read every review out there I can find, the one screamiing consistency is the incredible lack of consistency between the reviews. Everything from don't get the AMG model as it rides like a gocart, to the exact reverse, where one reviewer advised getting the amg model as it improved the ride quality over the standard. There also seems to be a lot of confusion around the two a250 models. In AUS we are only getting the "Engineered by AMG" model and contrary to what I read elsewhere on this forum about it just being a body kit and red brake calipers, and should not bear the AMG tag, this is why the Engineered by AMG model is being so named:

The Engineered by AMG A 250 Sport is a very different machine from the cooking model A, and even the not-for-Australia standard A250 Sport with which it shares its base engine.

There's a unique front suspension set-up that adds almost 3 degrees of camber (from the standard car's +1 to -1.8) and a thicker antiroll bar (25mm v 23). At the rear the roll bar is upgraded too and geometry changes reduce roll steering for a more neutral feel at high levels of commitment. Stickier non-runflat tyres are also fitted, as opposed to the harder riding runflats.

Under the bonnet the AMG Sport gets an overboost function that adds 11kW at throttle openings above 4000rpm. The function delivers the extra power (but not extra torque) for up to 30secs. A new muffler and modified exhaust design delivers the trademark 'boof' on gearchanges. There is also changes to the mapping software to the DCT.

I'm coming from VW and I can't tell you how hard it is to make the break, but from people that I have spoken to that have driven the A250 E by AMG, combined with all the extra kit you get with it, I'm giving it a go.

Last edited:

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Lot less roomy than the previous A class but the looks sell it for many.

Unfortunately, people buy cars these days for the looks and no longer for the practical aspect of it. Is the CLS (W219) a practical car for a family of 4? Hell no, even two midgets will complain that they 're cramped in the back seat but then again I bought it for the looks
OhGod-ShakingHeadSmiley.gif

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Unfortunately, people buy cars these days for the looks and no longer for the practical aspect of it. Is the CLS (W219) a practical car for a family of 4? Hell no, even two midgets will complain that they 're cramped in the back seat but then again I bought it for the looks
OhGod-ShakingHeadSmiley.gif

And to take it one stage further there is not so much room in my CL500 rear end either.

I do like the look of the new A and Mercedes are no fools when it come to the design.

Would I want an AMG set up, well for the best part no, its bad enough just seeing the pot hole and the damage they can do, with having ones teeth fall out into the bargain, but is some countries like Sweden they do not have pot holes so could be ok.

Last edited:

the director

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 R 350 Grand Edition; 2015 S 350
You could just go to your local Vauxhall dealership and test drive one of theirs. They've been making A classes for years :Oops:

AbeM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Sport Estate
Clarification

You'll have to explain that one ........ :confused: :confused:

I suspect the reference was being made to the resemblance to the Astra. Actually I can see what he means. I saw close up a couple of A Class at the local MB dealership, and in more basic trim it does have a bit of a look-a-like to the Astra. You might have to screw your eyes up a little :). Not so much so when in Sport trim with body kit etc.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I suspect the reference was being made to the resemblance to the Astra. Actually I can see what he means. I saw close up a couple of A Class at the local MB dealership, and in more basic trim it does have a bit of a look-a-like to the Astra. You might have to screw your eyes up a little :). Not so much so when in Sport trim with body kit etc.

They all look the same to me, and thats all small cars :confused:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

Ah! I've yet to see a new model A Class Merc ;) ;)

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And to take it one stage further there is not so much room in my CL500 rear end either.

I do like the look of the new A and Mercedes are no fools when it come to the design.

I saw the new A class 250 sport at Mercedes MK two days ago. Wow, the car was so aggressive looking with the sport package kit, red brake calipers, one sport fin grille with distronic and Bi-xenon headlamps.
love-smiley-015.gif
. It's a shame I did not have my camera handy to catch a shot. The Audi A3 or BMW serie 1 stand no chance.

Malcolm, I concur with you when you say that Mercedes are no fools when it comes to design. I have always thought that Audi since 2007 stepped up their game when it comes to design and cannot be touched. Once again, I have been proved wrong.

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is exactly the same car that I saw at MK. Wow, what a beauty. Here.

Last edited:

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but is some countries like Sweden they do not have pot holes so could be ok.

Or even France where you can cruise in sheer silence. I always enjoy driving on French autoroutes where I get to hear most of the time the sound of my V8 engine.

daveyjp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B160 SE Blue Efficiency
Spotted my first one on the road just over a week ago. 'Anonymous' is the word.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
hi, this is my first post to this forum. Stumbled upon it as I am looking at buying an A250 Sport too. Having read every review out there I can find, the one screamiing consistency is the incredible lack of consistency between the reviews. Everything from don't get the AMG model as it rides like a gocart, to the exact reverse, where one reviewer advised getting the amg model as it improved the ride quality over the standard. There also seems to be a lot of confusion around the two a250 models. In AUS we are only getting the "Engineered by AMG" model and contrary to what I read elsewhere on this forum about it just being a body kit and red brake calipers, and should not bear the AMG tag, this is why the Engineered by AMG model is being so named:

The Engineered by AMG A 250 Sport is a very different machine from the cooking model A, and even the not-for-Australia standard A250 Sport with which it shares its base engine.

There's a unique front suspension set-up that adds almost 3 degrees of camber (from the standard car's +1 to -1.8) and a thicker antiroll bar (25mm v 23). At the rear the roll bar is upgraded too and geometry changes reduce roll steering for a more neutral feel at high levels of commitment. Stickier non-runflat tyres are also fitted, as opposed to the harder riding runflats.

Under the bonnet the AMG Sport gets an overboost function that adds 11kW at throttle openings above 4000rpm. The function delivers the extra power (but not extra torque) for up to 30secs. A new muffler and modified exhaust design delivers the trademark 'boof' on gearchanges. There is also changes to the mapping software to the DCT.

I'm coming from VW and I can't tell you how hard it is to make the break, but from people that I have spoken to that have driven the A250 E by AMG, combined with all the extra kit you get with it, I'm giving it a go.

Good points and welcome to the forums!! Leave the overrated chancers at VAG behind and join the Benz army!!!

clip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a250
Good points and welcome to the forums!! Leave the overrated chancers at vag behind and join the Benz army!!!
Thanks Steve, I just ordered one! I did check out the beemers too, but the obvious lack of quality and finish, especially paint finish in rear hatch and cheap plastic interior bits, was a big turn off. If BMW are cutting costs in such obvious ways, I can only imagine where else they are cutting costs that we can't see.

So one new white A250S on it's way to me! Be my second only Benz, hoping it will be another good choice.

Last edited:

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
Originally Posted by television
but is some countries like Sweden they do not have pot holes so could be ok.

hi Malcolm
well i've seen an increase in potholes where I live in Sweden and i drive from Jonstorp to Lund every week day, there definetly are potholes on the roads now, not to the same degree as Ireland or England but they are there, and they are annoying when you hit them....

*thud*

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
The engineered by AMG costs £28,775 for the 208bhp A250 variant. Whereas an Astra GTC while listed for about £23,000 will retail for a minimum of £5,000 less [ more likely £8,000 ]with corresponding lower running costs. Why is this important? Well when new the lure of the 3 pointed star will sway many but I'm not so sure what's going to happen to the second hand market where running costs and "performance for the money" in this sector assumes perhaps a greater significance than mainstream MB models. This may effect depreciation levels which have a knock on effect on new leasing costs. I guess what I'm saying is it overpriced [ purchase and running costs] for its target market sector in comparison to its rivals e.g VW GTI Mégane Renaultsport etc I guess only time will tell.:confused:

Last edited:
Top Bottom