A CLS 55 AMG Unhappy Owner!

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
I remember at some point posting on here about how underpowered I thought my CLS 500 was. I was amazed to read from another forum this time from a member who complained about how underpowered his CLS 55 AMG was next to a friend's car which had only 30hp more than his 55 AMG. Quite interesting. Follow the thread: Here

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I remember at some point posting on here about how underpowered I thought my CLS 500 was. I was amazed to read from another forum this time from a member who complained about how underpowered his CLS 55 AMG was next to a friend's car which had only 30hp more than his 55 AMG. Quite interesting. Follow the thread: Here

Sounds like there was a fault with the 55. The pump that cools the charged air needs replacing. This is not uncommon.

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
What was the final outcome, I got as far as the fourth post and could not bring myself to go any further.:lol::lol:

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What was the final outcome

The outcome is that he needs to change his inter cooler pump IC. Personally, I don't think that was the issue. These cars tend to lose HP as they age with time. He should also learn to accept that his friend's car is faster. The 55k engines are great but there are more capable cars than them on the road today. End of story.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
What was the final outcome, I got as far as the fourth post and could not bring myself to go any further.:lol::lol:

Me too - our Lizzy gets everywhere :).

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
The outcome is that he needs to change his inter cooler pump IC. Personally, I don't think that was the issue. These cars tend to lose HP as they age with time. He should also learn to accept that his friend's car is faster. The 55k engines are great but there are more capable cars than them on the road today. End of story.

It shouldn't lose much, indeed as the engine "beds in" it should increase marginally - that mileage wasn't great. As stated, obviously a problem. BHP is only one part of the equation though.

First is weight of car - the heavier, the slower
Then torque - the MB 55 is not short of that!
Then the rev range in use vs peak torque revs - if its gone beyond, it will start to slow, if it's not yet there, ditto until it hits peak.

However, 30 bhp more is significant if all else equal.

My Aston is lower in BHP and torque than the SL55, but it weighs a whole lot less - net effect = not a big difference, but I have to make the engine work harder :D than the hugely powerful but lazy 55.

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
However, 30 bhp more is significant if all else equal.

You made a great point that the 55K engine is not short of Torque, so I give you that. Very generally speaking, horsepower is responsible for speed and torque is responsible for acceleration. Now for less deceiving details, usually a force is a push or a pull on an object. Torque is a force associated with a twisting action like pushing on a wrench to tighten or loosen a bolt.

If the friend of this chap has 30 HP more and less Torque than the 55K, would that not give the CLS 55 with a higher Torque an edge? More HP and less Torque does not equate to being faster. Horse power is good in the end, but torque will get you off the line quick, therefore the CLS should have been quicker off the line. But then again, who am I to judge since the dude did not mention the Torque difference in both cars.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom