A-Class brake shoes

Helmet Vonthrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A-Class, various: 160/170
Firstly, a warning...

For the second time of asking I've had a brake shoe lining detach from the backplate, the 1st was my partner's '99 A160 about 2 years ago and the second is this morning with her '02 A170.

The same shoe in both cases, the rear shoe on the o/s.

The symptoms are the same in both cases, the handbrake goes really tight and you struggle to pull it up.

In the current situation the outcome was different from before; rather than just falling to the bottom of the drum, the lining rotated to the top slashing the boots on the brake cylinder!

So I've got a new cylinder and shoes but last time I struggled to assemble everything in situ. so can anyone tell me how easy to remove the backplate assembly complete and do everything on my kitchen table (with paper down of course!)??

Thanks in advance for any tips.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Nope and not possible, I will check to see how easy it is to remove

index.php

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Please look bottom right and you will see it is correct

OP
H

Helmet Vonthrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyone got a torque value for the hub nut?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ever thought of a please or thank you

OP
H

Helmet Vonthrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ever thought of a please or thank you

Thanks for asking, yes I have!

Have you ever thought I might have followed up the request when answered with a 'thanks <insert name of user supplying info as appropriate>'.??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know know that you have a 168 and not a 169,,, I do not know that A class very well, I was just trying to help you out so I will pass now on this thread.

OP
H

Helmet Vonthrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And I'll consider myself suitably chastised.....:shock:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
m.mycat

m.mycat

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Driving with the handbrake partially on--- can "cook" the linings and if they are bonded rather than riveted on then this can cause premature failure. This can be caused by seized brake cables or mechanism OR by someone forgetting to let the handbrake off???

Last edited:
OP
H

Helmet Vonthrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Driving with the handbrake partially on--- can "cook" the linings and if they are bonded rather than riveted on then this can cause premature failure. This can be caused by seized brake cables or mechanism OR by someone forgetting to let the handbrake off???

Good call, I do usually run the adjustment on the tight side but there is always clearance.

I doubt my partner has run with the handbrake on, the dashboard bleeps quite insistently.

Update: one side done! - and I'm completely hacked off!

Looks like the backplate was bent so the cylinder was not square, the cylinder was completely seized.

The phrase 'remove the hub' would be better expressed as - get a puller 'cos you've got NO chance of it coming off without one! So down to Screwfix; £17.99, bargain!

Will get on the other side tomorrow as long as the torrential rain & gales stay away!

Thanks Area51 for the torque setting, funnily enough the nut went back exactly were it came from.

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Any thoughts as to how the backplate became bent??

I hope you are replacing the wheel cylinder on the other side too..

Any chance of a link for the puller that you bought, please? I may well need one for my car at some point.

OP
H

Helmet Vonthrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any thoughts as to how the backplate became bent??

I hope you are replacing the wheel cylinder on the other side too..

Any chance of a link for the puller that you bought, please? I may well need one for my car at some point.

Answers in the order of the questions..

Previous owner? I replaced the WC almost a year ago and noticed the shoe end was not in the centre of the cylinder and it was at an angle but it just didn't register at the time.

Possibly! - will check the condition when I open everything up. :x

http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-rev...tracking url&gclid=CIfDgrL9wrQCFe7MtAodpy4Agg

Easy now I know what I'm doing, I took the backplate off completely but think next time will do in situ.

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Just a thought, did the cylinder only have one securing bolt? I am sure that I read somewhere (WIS??) that new cylinders should be fitted using two bolts.

I've seen this happen quite a few times; one wheel cylinder replaced because it is seized or leaking, the other cylinder looks ok so doesn't get replaced. A very short time after this the cylinder that seemed ok is now leaking fluid all over the recently replaced brake shoes. Just my two pence worth...

Many thanks for the link, I may well need one of those in the future.

I hope that replacing the other side goes ok.

OP
H

Helmet Vonthrob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just a thought, did the cylinder only have one securing bolt? I am sure that I read somewhere (WIS??) that new cylinders should be fitted using two bolts.

I've seen this happen quite a few times; one wheel cylinder replaced because it is seized or leaking, the other cylinder looks ok so doesn't get replaced. A very short time after this the cylinder that seemed ok is now leaking fluid all over the recently replaced brake shoes. Just my two pence worth...

Many thanks for the link, I may well need one of those in the future.

I hope that replacing the other side goes ok.

2 bolts holding the cylinder so no prob (I hope).

The seized cylinder was less than a year old but had lost its boot but I will give the old cylinder on the other side a good once over.

It's pouring with rain outside at the moment and since the street is my workshop, the other side will be on hold!

Top Bottom