ML Rumble

colin ling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI 2008
Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone

My ML has done 48,000 miles and seems to have developed a faint rumble. Allowing for the state of our roads and normal tyre noise, the new noise seems to appear after about 40 mph and is a low pitch sound like a wheel bearing starting to fail.

The tyres are Goodyear Wrangler HP and all about half worn and even (pressures checked)

I cannot spin the wheels by hand to hear / feel anything

It had an MOT recently (with no comments) and I almost think it started after that

Does the ML suffer wheel bearing or presumably transmission problems at this mileage ?

Any suggestions gratefully received

thanks

Colin Ling

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Tyres with the big V pattern can get very noisy when ½ worn, not always easy to tell the difference between tyres and wheel bearings as they both start making the noise at just over 40mph.

One way is to see if the noise changes on different ash felt surfaces, it it does it more than likely the tyres

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone

My ML has done 48,000 miles and seems to have developed a faint rumble. Allowing for the state of our roads and normal tyre noise, the new noise seems to appear after about 40 mph and is a low pitch sound like a wheel bearing starting to fail.

The tyres are Goodyear Wrangler HP and all about half worn and even (pressures checked)

I cannot spin the wheels by hand to hear / feel anything

It had an MOT recently (with no comments) and I almost think it started after that

Does the ML suffer wheel bearing or presumably transmission problems at this mileage ?

Any suggestions gratefully received

thanks

Colin Ling

Hi there

Sounds very similar to my ML280 CDI 06 reg I gave back last year. Front Diff bearing. Started at 30-40 mph. Noticed it more on a motorway. Crusing at 70 mph and then letting go of the accelerator.

Similar to what you are hearing? Noise at the front or back?

Mine was at 51K at the time.

Regards

Last edited:

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Google ML front diff noise and you'll find lots of anecdotal evidence, mainly in the USA

Nick Froome

OP
C

colin ling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI 2008
Good evening television, ml280nick, Bolide and thanks for your interest and replies

Tyre noise varies with different road surfaces, but the low pitch rumble remains in the background

When cruising at 70mph coming on and off the accelerator has no effect on rumble

The ML diff noise on Google makes interesting reading

Think I may pop in to my local dealer for some advice

Thank You

Colin Ling

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
Good evening television, ml280nick, Bolide and thanks for your interest and replies

Tyre noise varies with different road surfaces, but the low pitch rumble remains in the background

When cruising at 70mph coming on and off the accelerator has no effect on rumble

The ML diff noise on Google makes interesting reading

Think I may pop in to my local dealer for some advice

Thank You

Colin Ling

Hi there.

Any update? My bearing on the front diff went a day after purchase from mercedes benz in Waltham cross. The first gave all sorts of excuses but then lied and said that they changed the oil in the diff and offered me to drive for a month. Truth came out that because it was in the first 30 days of purchase (well day 1) warranty would not pay so the dealer had to take the hit. Just be careful what they say to you. You covered by warranty?

OP
C

colin ling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI 2008
Hi ml280nick

My warranty ran out last month (the law of sod prevails)

Popped into my favourite main dealer (MB Ipswich, service manager Carl) who I trust. Carl stated they have never had a diff problem on an ML. They have changed wheel bearings on high mileage ML's.

Went for a ride with workshop foreman, he agreed there is a faint rumble, possibly tyres - which may be worth getting another set of tyres & wheels to do a test (from sales car).

I swopped front to back yesterday and that did not change the noise at all.

I am going to wait and see if the noise gets louder and if it does try the tyre & wheel swop

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Are your tyre treads V patterned? If they are all the same, then front to rear won't help. Malcolm suggested tyres. I'm inclined to agree.
Only other thought is perhaps engine mounts. I have the earlier - 163 - model but have been plagued by engine mount failures causing undue NVH in the vehicle. At 48K, could easily be that.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Had to get the propshaft centre bearing replaced on the wife's W163 ML last year, could be that - made a hell of a racket until it was changed. Sprayed the bearing with lots of WD, and that significantly reduced the noise - but only long enough to confirm that's where the noise was coming from. Replacement was the only cure.

Mark

OP
C

colin ling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI 2008
Hi oigle and Mark A

Tyres are Goodyear Wrangler HP, I'm not sure if you class them as v patterned

Engine mounts and prop joints are now down for next weekend

thanks

Colin Ling

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Hi oigle and Mark A

Tyres are Goodyear Wrangler HP, I'm not sure if you class them as v patterned

Engine mounts and prop joints are now down for next weekend

thanks

Colin Ling

No big V there. Those tyres should be nice and quiet.

OP
C

colin ling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI 2008
Ml Wheel Bearing

Good morning

My ML has now done 51000 miles and I am pretty sure the noise is the near side front bearing.
Can anyone give me the instructions to change the bearing please ?

thanks

Colin Ling

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom