ML320 CDI 09 Reg

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
Hi there

Hope your well and Happy New Year!

Just need your advice if possible and will appreciate your feed back.

My Scenario:-

Back in Sep 11 bought a ML280 Sport (06 reg) of which went back in and out to the many dealers about 17-20 times!! (original purchased through Mercedes Waltham Cross). Diff issues, gearbox x 2 issues rust and all sorts!

It was then agreed in Jun12 to hand back the car (loss of deposit) and I would contribute more and they found an 09 ML320 CDI Sport. I was promised that this particular vehicle would be checked thoroughly!!

To date have had:

-Rust on Boot Lid and Bonnet

-I picked up that the Gear box oil was never changed (should be at 39k)

-Squeak when driving at around 15-20 mph

-Cold Start issue where revs are at 1200 revs and vehicle is pulling forward even when breaking.

-tracking issues as picked up that I had 62psi in the front left tyre.

Its been in 3-5 times and they have done the following:

-Rust on Boot Lid and Bonnet: Boot Painted and bonnet changed

-Gear box oil changed

-For the Squeak, they cant find fault but they are to change rear brakes to see if this resolves the issue. Rear Discs badly corroded!

-Cold start they cant find fault but the car is really jumpy and gears slip when cold. Fighting with car when breaking.

-Tracking issue, they have apparently done the tracking but car veers to the right on acceleration.

Its scheduled in on the 9th Jan for further checks.

I am dealing with the directors office in Milton Keynes but they are trying to cover the fact that the car has not been checked thoroughly!

So fed up and now not sure what else to do? Its been a year and half of issues across two vehicles. After care at the dealers are poor and seems I cant find a garage (main dealer) that will take pride and do a job they are meant to do!! At the same time really disappointed with the ML. Are they this unrealible? Am I being fussy at spending 22k on a car and it goes wrong every 2-3 months?

Other than giving it back, what else would you guys advise? Cant really go any higher in the UK! Any contacts in Germany?

Your help and advise will be much appreciated

Await your thoughts

Regards
Nick

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
With the veering to the right issue, could it be wheel bearing? When they did the tracking a month a go, would they have picked up on this? At the moment, I am having to suggest things to Mercedes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just read it all :( If the car was fitted with the 722.6 box then the box fluid was not changed at 38k miles unless the car was on assist, but a minor point right now. through some reason MB have never conseeded on this bit that it is or could be wrong.

Wheel bearings cannot cause your problem, if the tyre was blown up that high, has the tread pattern worn unevenly over the whole width of the tyre. Again wheel tracking is only as god as the man doing the job or the type of equipment used to do the job.

If the car changes coarse when accelerating, this is often down to subfame mounts, but again the car is a bit too new for this, I do not know the ML well enough to comment further.

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
Just read it all :( If the car was fitted with the 722.6 box then the box fluid was not changed at 38k miles unless the car was on assist, but a minor point right now. through some reason MB have never conseeded on this bit that it is or could be wrong.

Wheel bearings cannot cause your problem, if the tyre was blown up that high, has the tread pattern worn unevenly over the whole width of the tyre. Again wheel tracking is only as god as the man doing the job or the type of equipment used to do the job.

If the car changes coarse when accelerating, this is often down to subfame mounts, but again the car is a bit too new for this, I do not know the ML well enough to comment further.

Hi there

Part of the deal was for all tyres to be changed. So still not real evident of tyre wear as only done 1500 miles since Jun. I noticed the tyre pressure when warning lights came on and had to check all four corners. Could not believe it. Why would someone at MB do this? Vehicle has 67K on the clock. Shall I mention the sub frame mounts to them? With the gear box, its a the standard 7 speed box. What did you mean on this issue? Sorry?

Lost total faith in the range.

How shall I approach this?

Cheers for your quick reply

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi there

Part of the deal was for all tyres to be changed. So still not real evident of tyre wear as only done 1500 miles since Jun. I noticed the tyre pressure when warning lights came on and had to check all four corners. Could not believe it. Why would someone at MB do this? Vehicle has 67K on the clock. Shall I mention the sub frame mounts to them? With the gear box, its a the standard 7 speed box. What did you mean on this issue? Sorry?

Lost total faith in the range.

How shall I approach this?

Cheers for your quick reply

OK so 7 speed 7G box and that should have had the fluid changed at that mileage so ignore that part of my post.

Re the sub frame mounts. By rights a car of that low mileage should not have worn mounts , but we have had late 211 cars where the sub frame bolts have sheared off. It has to be movement on these for the car to power steer under acceleration.
Lets hope someone else comes in on this thread.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
There is a known fault with the throttle pedals causing the idle issue you describe. It seems that not all dealers are aware of this problem.
There have been threads on here regarding the issue before. Next time it happens just lift the throttle pedal slightly to see if the idle speed returns to normal

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
There is a known fault with the throttle pedals causing the idle issue you describe. It seems that not all dealers are aware of this problem.
There have been threads on here regarding the issue before. Next time it happens just lift the throttle pedal slightly to see if the idle speed returns to normal

Ok cheers. Will do! Will let you know. It always happens on cold start. Or is the throttle pedal issues mentioned happen even when vehicle at normal operating tempreture? Mine only does it on cold start.

Cheers

Last edited:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
The ones i have seen seem to be worse when cold, although it can happen anytime. We had to print off the thread for the last customer as the dealer just kept giving her the vehicle back insisting there was nothing wrong!!!!!

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
The ones i have seen seem to be worse when cold, although it can happen anytime. We had to print off the thread for the last customer as the dealer just kept giving her the vehicle back insisting there was nothing wrong!!!!!

Ok will do the same I expect!

Thanks for your help.

Any thoughts on the veering to the right on acceleration?

Regards

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
Ok will do the same I expect!

Thanks for your help.

Any thoughts on the veering to the right on acceleration?

Regards

Hi there

Had the same cold start issue with the revs stuck at 1300rpm!! lifted the pedal with my thumb, revs returned to normal.

Having such a mare with Mercedes UK. Banging my head against a wall and to add insult, they are getting funny with me!

Whats the best to approach these people? Totally had enough

Regards

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You now know that your throttle is sticking and this is a very dangerous thing to have with an automatic car, you can tell them now what you have to do when it does stick. It is probably worse when hot

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
You now know that your throttle is sticking and this is a very dangerous thing to have with an automatic car, you can tell them now what you have to do when it does stick. It is probably worse when hot

Hi there

Mine is when Cold. At first they kept telling me its the cold start mode and I kept telling them that the car is pulling forward when braking.

This is the second W164 in a year and a half and nothing but problems.

So had enough.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
This is the second W164 in a year and a half and nothing but problems.

So had enough.

I would love one of these and there are people who've had them and they've been faultless, but it seems if you get a bad one then there are lots of niggly problems, and I would be so depressed if it was mine.

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009

Managed to get out an MB road side assist out and he too cant find any faults on the sensor's on the Throttle. He did mention that even under cold conditions, vehicle should not rev/idle at 1200/1300 rpm.

What did the other do or have done to prove there is a fault, as being made to feel that I am making it up!

Your help will be much appreciated.

Anything I can print off? like the other incident?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have nothing on this in WIS,,, perhaps the car will have to be left with them on a cold night so they can start it from cold,,, but I cannot understand their refusal to have it back and check the throttle linkage and cable,,very strange.

Most throttle components are made of aluminum. The metal can expand and contract by large amounts, for instance, in Sweden in the summer if you tighten your wheels to the correct torque they will be lose at minus 20c I do not see why the MB guys cannot use their brains, how easy these days with cans of freezer where you can spray all parts and see what happens

Last edited:

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
sorry to read about all the hassle your having:(...Dont throw in the towel just yet.... take it to a Indie and get the proper service that you diserve...still keep pushing MB but i honestly believe if you left it at a good indie for them to test drive and tweek im sure you will start to enjoy your ML again;)

There are many on here and there is also a search function (somewhere) so you can find your local ones;)...If it was me i would just drive it down to Colin at MBS and let him drive it home / work for a week;)...but thats just me:D... i am so dam lucky to have them round the corner:cool:

Dont give up hope...all problems are fixable in the end...although to have to wait the time that you have and after the hard earnt money that you have spent it does take the Mick to of had to wait so long:(

GOOD LUCK

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
sorry to read about all the hassle your having:(...Dont throw in the towel just yet.... take it to a Indie and get the proper service that you diserve...still keep pushing MB but i honestly believe if you left it at a good indie for them to test drive and tweek im sure you will start to enjoy your ML again;)

There are many on here and there is also a search function (somewhere) so you can find your local ones;)...If it was me i would just drive it down to Colin at MBS and let him drive it home / work for a week;)...but thats just me:D... i am so dam lucky to have them round the corner:cool:

Dont give up hope...all problems are fixable in the end...although to have to wait the time that you have and after the hard earnt money that you have spent it does take the Mick to of had to wait so long:(

GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the remarks.

They collected this morning on a pick up. They confirmed that there is no sensor issue on the throttle but not ruling out mechanical. If its mechanical, pedal change I assume?

List that I have given them is as follows:

Cold Start as we discussed. Revs at 1300 and stick even on braking. Hard to control when coming to a set of lights or a junction. Gears Slipping and all sorts.
On acceleration, veering to the right, even though the camber of the road is to the left. Even after tracking done by Loughton.
Parktronic issue which is now registered. I am hoping this covered by warranty.
Rear discs and pads to be replaced as agreed for squeaking noise when driving at 15-20 mph.
This point may be pointless, but are the rear vents in the rear part of the center console not meant to work? Tried all settings and no air coming out of them.

Lets see what they come back with.

Very down with all this. Motoring free driving for 2-3 months only for the past 1.5 years.

Regards
Nick

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
Thanks for the remarks.

They collected this morning on a pick up. They confirmed that there is no sensor issue on the throttle but not ruling out mechanical. If its mechanical, pedal change I assume?

List that I have given them is as follows:

Cold Start as we discussed. Revs at 1300 and stick even on braking. Hard to control when coming to a set of lights or a junction. Gears Slipping and all sorts.
On acceleration, veering to the right, even though the camber of the road is to the left. Even after tracking done by Loughton.
Parktronic issue which is now registered. I am hoping this covered by warranty.
Rear discs and pads to be replaced as agreed for squeaking noise when driving at 15-20 mph.
This point may be pointless, but are the rear vents in the rear part of the center console not meant to work? Tried all settings and no air coming out of them.

Lets see what they come back with.

Very down with all this. Motoring free driving for 2-3 months only for the past 1.5 years.

Regards
Nick

Hi there

Just an update.

The dealer now has looked at the car as they managed to fit in.

Explanations given:

Throttle issue:no fault electronically but will change throttle as a gesture of goodwill

Veering to the right: tracking ok but they found steering wheel not straight. Tracking previously done by mercedes without straightening the wheel

Parking sensor: been changed under warranty

Rear brakes done and pads as gesture of good will

Heaters vents at the rear apparently work under auto setting apparently.

Your thoughts will be much appreciated

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not much to say really,, it just depends on how the car performs now,,I just hope it is OK now.:D:D

OP
M

ml280nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 320 CDI Sport 2009
Not much to say really,, it just depends on how the car performs now,,I just hope it is OK now.:D:D

Hope so!! :)

They gave me a courtesy car of the New ML350.

Its nice but little too toned down from the W164.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom