Mercs are not all that bad.....could own a Vauxhall?

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
Had my van in before Xmas at vauxhall, 2 year old Vivaro, 80k FVSH.

Poor starting, blue smoke, 3 cylinders no warning lights though and was fine when warmed up. To me it sounded like compression low, and with the blue smoke and smell of burning oil, possible piston ring, bore washed from faulty injector as these are known to go wrong.....

but oh no say Dealer.....WE know better. So just before Xmas, gets a call, ahh we need to get injectors ordered, so please collect van and we'll give you a call when in. Picks van up, manages about 6 miles BIG failure, warning lights and smoke.

But dealer still says oh no WE know better, we need to fit injectors......but we can't get them out. Well, not til new year.
So new year comes, injector come out, new ones go in.............guess what...........

gets a call, your van needs a new engine sir, it seems like it has a compression issues, possible piston or ring failure........hmmmmmmmmm is that not what i told you last year???

What's the next stage my office is taking......rather than listen to me when i said don't buy these heaps, buy something that WILL do 100k' they are now looking at part-exing it against a new one, because they can't wait 3 weeks for an engine!!!!

See........it's not just MB dealers that are all that bad, at least with a MB you are rewarded with an lovely drive when it does go well. Instead I got a 6 year old corsa lpg heap to drive around in!!!!!!! :neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral:

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
they should of part ex d it in against a MB Van for you;)....bit daft not waiting for the repair though as would be cheaper in the long run?...although if the company is cash rich then you get a nice new van even if its not a MB;)

Vivaro dont drive bad though..we had ours for 10 years and she was a cracking van for our needs;)

OP
S

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
Paul, agree they are not that bad, but EVERYONE i know tells me nothing but horror stories about these, and when i worked for Nissan, they hated the time they sold one, cos they knew it'll come back and would not live up to their reputation.

Shake my head, and say they should have bought a Transit!!! Had to laugh the other week when they gave me sheet of hoarding that were 8'x4' and said they'll go in my van......had to tell them, no your thinking about a Transit......the argued and said they would go in.........so i laughed, made a coffee, took a seat, and left them too it.
5 mins later they returned, I just had the computer on Eurocar rentals and on Transit loadspace.............................the rest was history lol

I like subtle..................it works sooooooo well

rich599

Reaction score
Website
www.doodes.co.uk
Your Mercedes
w204/sprinter/vw t5 autosleeper/david brown 880/david brown 950
I have been running sprinters since 1996 and have nothing but praise for them and the three year unlimited mileage warranty is second to none i have put over
500,000 miles on every one i have owned,my present sprinter is a 2007,315cdi
that i have had from new and has now covered 851,000 miles,which is the most i have ever put on one,as i have always changed them at 3 year old with about 500,000 miles on them,but times are hard at the moment so keeping the old van running for another year or so,but i do know others that do the same job as me (european courier) that have run sprinters to well over a million miles without to much trouble,so for me i wouldnt even consider any other van

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have been running sprinters since 1996 and have nothing but praise for them and the three year unlimited mileage warranty is second to none i have put over
500,000 miles on every one i have owned,my present sprinter is a 2007,315cdi
that i have had from new and has now covered 851,000 miles,which is the most i have ever put on one,as i have always changed them at 3 year old with about 500,000 miles on them,but times are hard at the moment so keeping the old van running for another year or so,but i do know others that do the same job as me (european courier) that have run sprinters to well over a million miles without to much trouble,so for me i wouldnt even consider any other van

WOW 850,000:shock:...that makes ours look like a little run to the shops car:shock::lol:

hows she looking after all those miles? personal i know but what do they end up going for when you sell them on with those miles on?
thread hijack...post some pics please;)...thats the highest miles ive ever heard of on here!!:cool:

rich599

Reaction score
Website
www.doodes.co.uk
Your Mercedes
the van still looks fantastic inside and out in all the miles i havnt even got a scuff on the bumpers still not had any paint work but i do wash and polish as often as possible,not really worth anything hence the reason for running it till it dies

OP
S

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
mmmmmmmm now i would def like a sprinter for my next van!!!!

Can imagine the toys i could get on that!

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mmmmmmmm now i would def like a sprinter for my next van!!!!

Can imagine the toys i could get on that!

you could get a one careful owner with 900k on the clock;)..hell i WOULD:lol:

850K....Now thats just cool!!!.......you must LOVE driving!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
S

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
well, just a little update.......................seems SOMEONE is listening.

They are now considering the Sprinter as a replacement as they do NOT want the Vivaro back!!! So, never know, I might be getting a proper van to spend my days in lol

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well, just a little update.......................seems SOMEONE is listening.

They are now considering the Sprinter as a replacement as they do NOT want the Vivaro back!!! So, never know, I might be getting a proper van to spend my days in lol

RESULT:cool:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
We ran both Vivaro and Sprinter at work.

The Vivaro averaged 45mpg at motorway speeds

The Sprinter was very disappointing in this respect averaging 29mpg

I would say that the Vivaro was an easier more comfortable drive as well.

So I would say be careful what you wish for.

Try a Sprinter for a week and then come to a decision, after all you presumably aren't picking the bills up so get the best driver.

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
See........it's not just MB dealers that are all that bad, at least with a MB you are rewarded with an lovely drive when it does go well. Instead I got a 6 year old corsa lpg heap to drive around in!!!!!!! :neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral:

Vivaro best van on the market, Sprinter riddled with rust and numerous rust problems.

After a Vivaro you'd never want a Sprinter or a Vito.

OP
S

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
We ran both Vivaro and Sprinter at work.

The Vivaro averaged 45mpg at motorway speeds

The Sprinter was very disappointing in this respect averaging 29mpg

I would say that the Vivaro was an easier more comfortable drive as well.

So I would say be careful what you wish for.

Try a Sprinter for a week and then come to a decision, after all you presumably aren't picking the bills up so get the best driver.

yes your are ever so true on what you say. i have expressed a great concern over them buying another van without first researching how it's running costs are compared with the Vivaro, not to mention driver comfort.
Sprinter is seriously too high for London car parks, having checked it would need to be the Vito to be of any use......and those i have heard are not the greatest either.
I have tried to point out Ford have just released a new generation Transit, so the older ones will be peanuts, but still great vans. The vivaro design has changed very little....if any since it was released over 10 years ago. I think the reason for its success is purely it's low price. Built in conjunction with Renault and Nissan the costs are kept very low. That and very little Research and Development, means the average self employed guy wants biggest van, for less bucks. Viscous circle that one

rich599

Reaction score
Website
www.doodes.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Vivaro best van on the market, Sprinter riddled with rust and numerous rust problems.

After a Vivaro you'd never want a Sprinter or a Vito.

Vivaro wont rust as it will spend most of its time under cover in the garage either having a new gearbox,or a new engine fitted

OP
S

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
Vivaro wont rust as it will spend most of its time under cover in the garage either having a new gearbox,or a new engine fitted

oh....you seen mine then!! :):):):):)

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
mine was brilliant for 10 years...really great van:cool:....until the engine killed itself R.I.P:(...just unlucky

Mines done 165k miles in the last 3 years, needed an altenator, a radiator and some track control arms, still returning 45mpg and despite war wounds not a spot of rust.

Drives so well too, I had Merc vans before and had endless problems, never a week went by when there was something wrong, now have 3 Vauxhalls, happy days.

OP
S

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
think we might just be unlucky, that or a dealer that has no idea!!!

Went in for a fault from cold........drove fine when warm. Now dead!

Our Astravan with 60k needs a new gearbox, less than 18 months old.

Our other Vivaro has endless electrical problems..............seems we got a run of bad luck. Just glad I don't pick up the tab for running these things, Vivaro does about 550 miles to £120 of diesel, worse if in town.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom