A180 2009 W169 Rear Tail Light Condensation

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Hello I have a A180 Cdi 2009,

I had the car for a couple of months, and within the first month I noticed that the rear tail lights had condensation in them.

My local dealers agreed to get these replaced for free under the approved used warrenty.

Anyway, Ive been back out to the car (2 weeks after having them replaced) and its again got condensation in them.

It only seems to happen after a long drive in the rain, and sometimes in the morning.

The car is going back to the dealers in the new year for some 'pressure tests' but is there anything I should look for in the meanwhile?

It seems very strange that both lights are experiencing the same problem. I've attached photos showing the condensation in the new lamp units.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 20.07.37.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 20.07.37.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 20.07.26.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 20.07.26.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 46
A

andy@pcd-ltd

Hi and welcome.

Just had a look on a mercedes website for known issues and it lists on there for condensation in rear lights.

The main thing this says about is more than likely a leak in the boot area.

Has the car been tested for water ingress into the boot area at all

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Hi and welcome.

Just had a look on a mercedes website for known issues and it lists on there for condensation in rear lights.

The main thing this says about is more than likely a leak in the boot area.

Has the car been tested for water ingress into the boot area at all

Please could I have the link, or some indication on how I can access this list? I've not looked in the boot area for water yet as its full of work gear. But I shall deffo have a look tomorrow.

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Sorry cant post up a link as you have to be registered with mercedes to be able to gain access to this info.

But if you say it is going into the dealer they will have access to this and should of looked at this before replacing the lights.

First thing would be to check in the spare wheel well see if its damp in there.

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Sorry cant post up a link as you have to be registered with mercedes to be able to gain access to this info.

But if you say it is going into the dealer they will have access to this and should of looked at this before replacing the lights.

First thing would be to check in the spare wheel well see if its damp in there.

Many Thanks for your help, I shall have a look tomorrow and report back.

A

andy@pcd-ltd

What sort of work gear is in there. None of this could be damp at all

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
What sort of work gear is in there. None of this could be damp at all

No no, its jackets, power cables and boxes. Ive just been out and looked in the spare wheel bit, and no signs of damp there, and looked where the first aid kit is, and no signs of water in their either?

Seems very strange how both are giving the same systems after having the lamps replaced.

Where would leak be coming from? - Top of the car I guess?

Would leaks be covered under warranty?

Many Thanks for your help

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Well the car went back today, and apart from supplying me a lovely 62reg AMG c220 cdi for the day, and a free valet, they did nothing.

I was told that the condensation in the rear lamps was because I don't use my Air Con, and the moisture in the air goes to the back of the car and finds the hottest spot ?

I obviously dont believe what I was told, theres plenty of cars on the road without AC they dont face this problem

I cant understand how two brand new lamp units suffer from the same issue. It only happens in the rains?

Any ideas, before I send my letter to MB HQ.

Also, who's best to contact in the HQ's

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Why not remove them and put a seal bead all round the aperture, poor quality stampings do not always give a good seal

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Why not remove them and put a seal bead all round the aperture, poor quality stampings do not always give a good seal

Apparently the dealer 'pressure tested' the lamps and they were both fine. I will try and take the lamps off the car at the weekend and see if I can improve them.

I just feel slightly let down by MB response to the problem I face. Its the third time the cars been back there, and to get to the dealers there and back twice in one day is a good £15 worth of fuel. Three times now, is £45 wasted.

Any of the forum members have email addresses for the directors of MB HQ ?

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
My Mrs has one of these. Her fog lights mist up regularly, and one one headlight occasionally.

Looks like one of those "quality control issues".

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
we have one from 2008 and i've not noticed any condensation on the rear lights (yet).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
we have one from 2008 and i've not noticed any condensation on the rear lights (yet).

The air is much drier where you are Niall, but it is poor when you think of all the cars that do not have this problem

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
My Mrs has one of these. Her fog lights mist up regularly, and one one headlight occasionally.

Looks like one of those "quality control issues".

very odd, my fog lights dont mist up, only the passengers side headlight occasionally.

I've rang MB HQ and its now been investigated.

On another note, my windscreen inside the car also condensates up heavy its very watery to touch. It was 7.5C tonight, and it did it (It cant be a leak, as it hasn't rained) Very odd issue. - Anyone had that problem :/

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Heavy condensation on the inside of a car is usually a sign there is damp/water inside the car somewhere.

On the tips document regarding the rear lights it says these usually get condensation in them when there is water ingress in the car somewhere.

With the two items getting condensation (the windscreen and lights) i would be looking for water ingress of some sort in the car.

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
I'll ring MB HQ up on Monday and let them know about the condensation inside the windscreen.

I'm fed up of ringing the dealership, emailing them photos, dropping the car in. Only to be told BS about me not using the Air Con.

The one reason why I didn't initial link the two problems together, was because I've had it in the tail lamp since I've owned the car (4 months now). This new fault has only come into light a few days back.

But maybe the water ingress is getting worse?

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Out of curiousity i would remove the lid over the battery tray and see if there is any water in there as i have seen the air intake drain tube for the heating system get blocked

Then water enters the vehicle and sits at the lowest point which is the battery tray.

OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
I did read that too, but when I checked the other day the battery well was completely bone dry. I will double check again tomorrow, just incase.

Thanks for the tip though :)

Last edited:
OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Battery compartment was bone dry, and wheel well seemed damp free aswell.

So I decided to look behind the rear lamp today, and noticed a very poor design fault, The light bulbs are built in to one big panel, that then snaps on the back of the lamps. Once this is snapped into place, there is still air gaps visible. There doesn't seem to be a ' air tight seal'

Attachments

• IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 20.42.38.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 20.42.38.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 20.42.43.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 20.42.43.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OP
E

ealp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2009 CDI
Managed to get a video of what the inside of the windscreen is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fclwn-BqNUM

This cant be normal, my old 07 reg car didnt do this.

I've just checked our 330d convertible too and thats bone dry inside.

Very strange

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom