W126 1986 300SE

Walshy12345

Reaction score
Hi,

The chrome on my fro bumper is starting to rust and peel off and the chrome on the back bumper looks faded, i either need to get them re-hromed or replaced, MB want over £2000 to replace them is their an easier/cheaper option?

i live in Surrey

hope you can help

Regards

mike

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Find someone who will strip and re-chrome the parts, it will be much cheaper. I know someone local but you're not local to me unfortunately.

Failing this get the bits from a breakers where the chrome is still in good condition which would be the cheapest.

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Hi,

The chrome on my fro bumper is starting to rust and peel off and the chrome on the back bumper looks faded, i either need to get them re-hromed or replaced, MB want over £2000 to replace them is their an easier/cheaper option?

In a word ... No! The chrome on the W126 bumpers rusts from below so destroying the metal as it bubbles up making re chroming impossible. Over the years I have collected a full set of secondhand chromes from various E Bay sites but even then some of the parts are not great.
Fitting and removing these parts is a messy job as the fittings rust even more and usually break when you try to remove them. MB will kindly sell you a bumper fitting kit for both bumpers. Its a messy business .....

Last edited:

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
The fitting and fixings kit ends up at near £100 if I remember correctly. Its an expensive business.
Oddly the gen 1 chrome doesn't seem to do this rusting from the underneath. Not helpful to your current problem, but when you get replacements its best to coat them on the underside with some rust preventative.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
How ingenious, so Mercedes were practicing back then on how to get the rust under the chrome,,, their experience must have helped for the bodies that were to follow ;):D

discoking

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
1985 500SEL
I enquired about getting the rear bumper on my 123 coupe re-chromed but everywhere I rang wanted an absolute fortune,it would have been a lot cheaper to buy a new bumper from MB had I not found a replacement from a kind member on here.

OP
W

Walshy12345

Reaction score
Sides are ok but the middle piece has already started rusting. Could be repaired
Hi

from what you say your bumper seems OK and i would like to have it, what do i need to do?

mike

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom