Millionaire boy racers

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Anyone see it on channel 4 Thurs night? Basically it featured very wealthy young Arabs who shipped their exotic performance cars from Dubai etc to London's affluent west end (Knightsbridge) for the summer months to party and show off their cars, sometimes racing them up the high streets.
Needless to say, the locals were not impressed to hear the noise of revving V8/12 engines below them.
Good programme if you're a petrol head. Not so good if you're a resident of upper crust London! Though in fairness, it seemed to be the older folk doing all the complaining, as you would I guess if you couldn't sleep through the night :shock:

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
I thought that it was interesting to see that the problems spread across all wealths.

One man's Ferrari is another man's chav'd up Corsa

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Previously owned SL500
Yes, interesting show. Not surprised the residents are fed up, so thank goodness they all disappear when Ramadan comes!

One guy stated that all those who complain are just jealous which of course is far from the truth. Display the correct no plate, buy full car insurance, keep within the speed limits and don't make excessive noise late at night; ie all the things us UK residents have to abide by!

Do all that & I'm sure many of us are happy that they bring their lovely toys for us to admire on the streets and spend their money on our economy!

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I think the more exotic cars are worse than your chaved up Corsas because they reach greater speeds a lot quicker. I was shocked to see these cars being floored along busy high streets. :shock:

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
I think the more exotic cars are worse than your chaved up Corsas because they reach greater speeds a lot quicker. I was shocked to see these cars being floored along busy high streets. :shock:

Cameras all over London streets ? you try it -youre ticket will arrive next week ?

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Cameras all over London streets ? you try it -youre ticket will arrive next week ?

I have no doubts as to that :(
The difference is these performance cars are not registered in this country and have barely legiible number plates so harder to persue.
Plus of course, what's the cost of a few speeding tickets if you're a millionare? Or even worse. "Dad I've just had an accident and hit a small child"
"Not to worry son, I'll have our very expensive lawyers look into it, you just enjoy your partying."

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
It's not only the problem with speed, but some of these lads are related to the Saudi royal family. One young guy was stopped by the police who made a quick phone call and the officer was suspended from duty as well as apologising to the rich guy for harrassing him. :mad: :shock:

Last edited:

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
im all for a bit of fun now and again...but in the right place...crazy driving:shock:...but thats what they are like back home...egypt and Dubai are interesting places to see driving styles:shock:,,,,, when i visited my brother when he worked out there i was stunned at what is considered"Normal" driving:shock::lol:

Last edited:

Richard Elliot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 E270CDi
Aside from the catastrophic environmental impact of jetting cars around the world...It is hard to empathise with those stuck-up sloanies complaining about other people's selfishness, and I've never found the rumble of a V8 irritating. Let the rich eat each other for a change.

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
It's not only the problem with speed, but some of these lads are related to the Saudi royal family. One young guy was stopped by the police who made a quick phone call and the officer was suspended from duty as well as apologising to the rich guy for harrassing him. :mad: :shock:

You can understand why the locals are a bit miffed! One law for one and no law for another.
The programme maker asked the residence if any of them have spoken to the drivers? The residence all looked at each other, none of them had. I wonder if it was because the residence were afraid of retributions from the lads powerful families?

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
Aside from the catastrophic environmental impact of jetting cars around the world...It is hard to empathise with those stuck-up sloanies complaining about other people's selfishness, and I've never found the rumble of a V8 irritating. Let the rich eat each other for a change.

lovely sound echo around the area....maybe we should have a Mini GTG up there next year;):lol:

blaser24nig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Stunning SL350 - Gone

Hey, was this part in the film because I can't remember seeing it...

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
No I got told by someone who lives near in the area that it happened.

I watched the programme end-to-end, and that did NOT happen.

What happened, was that the copper who stopped the guy in the Aventador (the cop couldn't pronounce the word and had to spell it!) called on his mobile for a recovery truck. No Royal Family. No suspension. The Aventador was last seen being driven away on the back of a truck.

I hope that the person who told you about the incident, never has to give evidence or sit on a Jury :shock:

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
The one resident annoyed me. The bigoted chap who referred to 'reverse colonialism'. I think his problem was more to do with the number of high spending Arabs than the cars speeding and the noise.
One of the police officers hinted at this man's attitude toward other cultures and the things you can and cannot say.

Last edited:

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I know of someone who knows someone else and they said something happened once at some point, somewhere.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
who told you that:lol:

His nextdoor neighbours best friend's Uncle's mate (the one who works in the Bookies) Sister's Niece's Grandma's friend who overhead a conversation in the pub (the one with the stuffed cat on the wall) next to, what used to be, Woolies.

See?

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
I watched the programme end-to-end, and that did NOT happen.

What happened, was that the copper who stopped the guy in the Aventador (the cop couldn't pronounce the word and had to spell it!) called on his mobile for a recovery truck. No Royal Family. No suspension. The Aventador was last seen being driven away on the back of a truck.

I hope that the person who told you about the incident, never has to give evidence or sit on a Jury :shock:

Did I say I watched the program? I said I got told by somebody who lives in the area, before you jump down my throat. You watched the programme end to end? Well bully for you, I'm merely commenting on what somebody told me at ANOTHER time DIFFERENT to the film in question (see I can emphasise words too).

Top Bottom