Mercedes c180 acceleration difficulty

Gregv2701

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180 Esprit 1997 1.8 petrol manual
Hi all,

Brand new here, and new to the world of Mercedes!

Jut purchased a 1997 Mercedes C180 Esprit. Sales went well etc and car seemed to run well.

I've taken it in a few drives and have noticed a few things that I'm begging you fabulous experts can help me with:

1. Interior blower stays on when the dial is on 0 and even when the keys are out! Any ideas?

2. The Car accelerates well in 1st/2nd gear, but when going in to 3rd gear she seems sluggish, jumpy and not wanting to pull off too well (can be rather embarrassing on roundabouts!) There is an awful noise from the bottom of the engine which may be a backfire/misfire but sounds almost like a flap opening/closing or 2 bits of metal hitting each other.

Have put redex in the petrol tank and down the carburettor, but nothing!

Sorry for the essay, but I'm totally lost.

Any and all ideas are most welcomed .

Thank you all so much for reading!

Greg

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Hi all,

Brand new here, and new to the world of Mercedes!

Jut purchased a 1997 Mercedes C180 Esprit. Sales went well etc and car seemed to run well.

I've taken it in a few drives and have noticed a few things that I'm begging you fabulous experts can help me with:

1. Interior blower stays on when the dial is on 0 and even when the keys are out! Any ideas?

2. The Car accelerates well in 1st/2nd gear, but when going in to 3rd gear she seems sluggish, jumpy and not wanting to pull off too well (can be rather embarrassing on roundabouts!) There is an awful noise from the bottom of the engine which may be a backfire/misfire but sounds almost like a flap opening/closing or 2 bits of metal hitting each other.

Have put redex in the petrol tank and down the carburettor, but nothing!

Sorry for the essay, but I'm totally lost.

Any and all ideas are most welcomed .

Thank you all so much for reading!

Greg

1. The duo valve next to the brake servo on the driver's side may be stuck, there are threads on how to repair/clean it
2. Possible ATF change needed, could also be engine mounts. May need STAR to diagnose the problem. Could be a faulty MAF sensor connected to the intake to the throttle body

Don't use redex, it's rubbish. Instead use some of the Forte engine products or Seafoam (look on ebay) and use it in 3 parts, 1 in the fuel tank, 1 in the oil and 1 in the throttle body but be advised if there are carbon deposits in the engine you will get alot of smoke produced and will need to give the engine a full oil and spark plug service afterwards.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the heater motor is running all the time the reg pack is short circuit and it must be replaced, I can send you the instructions for doing this.

This has probably been caused through water in the heater box.

Not sure if your car has a MAF, it could be a good idea to take it to a local indie to see what they make of it all re the driving

OP
G

Gregv2701

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180 Esprit 1997 1.8 petrol manual
?

If the heater motor is running all the time the reg pack is short circuit and it must be replaced, I can send you the instructions for doing this.

This has probably been caused through water in the heater box.

Not sure if your car has a MAF, it could be a good idea to take it to a local indie to see what they make of it all re the driving

Hi, thank you both for your reply.

NW_Merc - do you have a diagram or explanation as to the duo valve and what I'm looking for... Can't find the threads?

Also, don't think it'll be ATF as it's a manual. Did take the MAF out today, and gave it a clean, but to no avail. Most likely will have to have it on a STAR!

Any other ideas?

Television - Could you send me instructions about the short circuit? Again, I'm a bit of an amateur so could do with being told where things are, what to do and look for etc!

The car does have a MAF and it's been taken apart cleaned etc, but no change so local indie it'll be I think!

Thank you again!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need an Email address to send the instructions for the heater blower motor

Thus fault has nothing to do with any duo valve at all

I would try the car with the MAF unplugged to see if it goes better

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
1. The duo valve next to the brake servo on the driver's side may be stuck, there are threads on how to repair/clean it
2. Possible ATF change needed, could also be engine mounts. May need STAR to diagnose the problem. Could be a faulty MAF sensor connected to the intake to the throttle body

Is there anything else it MIGHT be????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Hi, thank you both for your reply.

NW_Merc - do you have a diagram or explanation as to the duo valve and what I'm looking for... Can't find the threads?

Also, don't think it'll be ATF as it's a manual. Did take the MAF out today, and gave it a clean, but to no avail. Most likely will have to have it on a STAR!

Here is what you're looking for if you need to check it

Attachments

• duovalve1.jpg
    duovalve1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 74

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here is what you're looking for if you need to check it

Why does he need to be looking at that when the fan is running all the time

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
He asked for where it is and I've posted a diagram

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Why, have you got the same problem?

Yeah but i tried your previous suggestions which didnt solve the problem so now i am looking for more of your suggestions

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk

Will a problem with the duo valve cause my heater to continue to operate without the ignition on because i nipped out earlier and cleaned it up as you suggested but still the blower keeps running

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Malcolm IIRC you're not a mechanic and neither am I, so I dont even know why you're continually needing to argue. He's asked for a diagram, I have put up said diagram, but you still have to continue, your advice is hypothetical as you havent seen the vehicle.

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Will a problem with the duo valve cause my heater to continue to operate without the ignition on because i nipped out earlier and cleaned it up as you suggested but still the blower keeps running

Would you like me to your car in person and sort it out?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm IIRC you're not a mechanic and neither am I, so I dont even know why you're continually needing to argue. He's asked for a diagram, I have put up said diagram, but you still have to continue, your advice is hypothetical as you havent seen the vehicle.

I am a very good mechanic thank you, are you crazy or what,,,you told him the duo valve and that has nothing what so ever to do with the fan running.

The only reason for the fan to run is a short circuit reg pack :D

Please do not try to bring me down to your level

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
I am a very good mechanic thank you, are you crazy or what,,,you told him the duo valve and that has nothing what so ever to do with the fan running.

The only reason for the fan to run is a short circuit reg pack :D

Please do not try to bring me down to your level

You're a legend in your own mind Malcolm ;)

Top Bottom