Renewing Taxc Online/Driving Without Displaying A Valid Disc

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I forgot to renew my tax at end December and did it online last night.

The general view (from the other side) was that I had to wait until the new disc arrived - all about not displaying a current licence.

Here's what happened when I rang the Police at Birmingham Central just now:

PC told me if I've renewed online and have a receipt I'm covered to use the car.
He explained that the failure to display offence was if I'd got a valid disc but it wasn't on show.

I queried the fact that I hadn't applied during the last days of the old disc and that it was now day 5 after, and that I'd been told that I couldn't drive the car until the new one arrived:

Here's what ensued (proper Road Wars stylee).

"What's your name sir" (I tell him John).

"Look John, that's a load of crap - I'm a serving police officer - and my colleague stood next to me is nodding in agreement, so that's two officers saying you're ok. You've done it online, so you're covered.

I'm PC xxx and here's my collar number if you're still worried.

You're covered son, have a nice new year son, bye son, bye"

Friendly us Brummies .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The failure to display would not be applied in your case, you can drive.

You cannot display what you do not have

You have paid, you can drive

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
I don't see the need to display the discs now, the Police check central records for validity anyway.

daveyjp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B160 SE Blue Efficiency
I suspect the days of the bit of paper showing you have paid the tax are numbered.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
you're covered because there's no break in the coverage. If for example your last disc expired in Nov and you applied on for it to start from Jan, you'd need the disc.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Our car tax expired at the end of December too. I told Keith that as long as he applied online it wouldn't matter if it didn't get to us by the end of the year as long as he had paid for it. However he told me I was wrong, but I see I was actually right :lol:

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
They are only so the jobsworths in council carparks have something to do all day.
And feel important and valued when they find one out of date.

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
Dave's not being clear.

He forgot to renew and did so in January. He was driving his car untaxed on our, the tax-payer's roads during this time.

That also infers he was driving without insurance too.

Imagine if he had an accident involving a small child, a fluffy dog and some ornamental brickwork.

I say we burn him at the stake for such tardiness.

Only joking but let's see how many bite ........
;)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
First question is how do you get a receipt for a transaction done online? A receipt that one could not have produced/altered electronically?

There are two offences possible here.

First, not having a valid tax disc. This one could be argued
Second, not displaying a valid tax disc. This is black and white, you either are displaying or you are not...

I would not rely on your friendly Brummie Officer's opinion

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
The mail you get is a valid receipt ,just print it off , if the police have any doubt they just check the data base there and then.

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
First question is how do you get a receipt for a transaction done online? A receipt that one could not have produced/altered electronically?

Second, not displaying a valid tax disc. This is black and white, you either are displaying or you are not...

Hello Peter,

I have a printout with a reference number on - it was offered as part of the online process - thy would simply check by registration, ref no or not, and establish I'd taxed the car yesterday.

Both points one and two are covered by the PC's reply - I'm happy enough.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You are safe,, I have done it your way so many times, the car is taxed and thats all they are interested in :D

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
It was more fun in the old days when coppers only had the discs to go on, and they sometimes 'slipped' down the dash.
I had many a blushing copper pull me over after a brief starsky & hutch demo only to find it was there after all. :mrgreen:

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
The law.

A change in the law came into effect from 1 September 2008.

"From this date, there will be an exemption from the offence in Section 33 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (VERA) of not displaying a valid tax disc. This will apply for the first five working days at the beginning of the month in which the tax disc commences.

It will be legal for motorists to drive or keep their vehicle on a public road without a current tax disc, for the first five working days of any month. This exemption from displaying a tax disc applies only when an application for a new disc has been made before the previous one has expired.

Motorists are advised to display the expired tax disc, however, they will be committing an offence if they continue to use or keep the vehicle on a public road without a current valid tax disc after the first five days of the month."

Of course, the more serious potential aspect of the absence of a VEL is that no application has been made because the vehicle has no MOT Certificate and/or insurance, which are significantly more serious offences, so there's more to it than simply being a 'jobsworth' check. The serious implications are obvious.

The offence of failing to display a valid disc is quite distinct from not having one, and applies even if one exists but has 'slipped down the dash'!

Last edited:

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Problems come for people when renewing their tax after it was sorned and off the road.
Even with other requirements its still a pain and easy to get the wrong end of the month if your not careful queued in a post office for two hours.

I did just this with mine once and they tried to hammer me for driving 'without' tax, even though Id just bought it.
I had all the other stuff so no 'crime' was committed.
Still they persisted and tried a plea bargaining. Seriously the 'fine' was reduced from about £250 + by approx 40.
I refused to pay, argued till i was sore and stressed to the max, and wrote about 4 letters to them in all.
In the end saying i was looking forward to going to court to show what a fallible inaccurate system they had charging by the MONTH.
But as they were so picky they should infact charge to the exact time, just as insurance is.
The 'penalty' was dropped - on this occasion.
Another reason why I know they are just scum !

Last edited:
OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
A change in the law came into effect from 1 September 2008.

"From this date, there will be an exemption from the offence in Section 33 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (VERA) of not displaying a valid tax disc. This will apply for the first five working days at the beginning of the month in which the tax disc commences.

It will be legal for motorists to drive or keep their vehicle on a public road without a current tax disc, for the first five working days of any month. This exemption from displaying a tax disc applies only when an application for a new disc has been made before the previous one has expired.

Motorists are advised to display the expired tax disc, however, they will be committing an offence if they continue to use or keep the vehicle on a public road without a current valid tax disc after the first five days of the month."

Of course, the more serious potential aspect of the absence of a VEL is that no application has been made because the vehicle has no MOT Certificate and/or insurance, which are significantly more serious offences, so there's more to it than simply being a 'jobsworth' check. The serious implications are obvious.

The offence of failing to display a valid disc is quite distinct from not having one, and applies even if one exists but has 'slipped down the dash'!

i explained to the PC that I'd renewed it online on 4th Jan and that it would take a while to arrive, possibly a week - he was adamant that I was OK from the 4th onwards (i.e renewal time) but pointed out that I may have been on camera between 31st Dec and 4th Jan, with no new disc applied for.

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Two points a receipt is just an acknowledgment or indication of a transaction.
It is not in itself definitive although widely believed to be.
You have paid so the "offence" left is not displaying your Tax Disc or receipt

Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (c. 22).

Not exhibiting licence

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if

(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road a vehicle in respect of which vehicle excise duty is chargeable, and
(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State a licence for, or in respect of, the vehicle which is for the time being in force.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 1 on the standard scale.

(3) Subsection (1)a

(a) has effect subject to the provisions of regulations made by the Secretary of State, and
(b) is without prejudice to section 29.

This law is plainly out of date when it is so easy to check the status of the vehicle.
I would never ever doubt though that some weary in a uniform would relish giving a FPN, I think its £30 one

Last edited:

w44nty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDI 2002,C180 Kompressor

You get a reciept sent via e mail from DVLA,it has a reference number etc on it,I renewed to late last August just before I went on holiday,I drove around London for a week with no valid tax,I must have been clocked by 1000,s cameras etc,never had anything sent about displying out of date disc,so when you pay it must update Number Plate Recognition Cameras

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Storm in a teacup. I always have a few days before the new tax disc turns up. Just carry on! Hardly worth the call IMO but each to their own

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Storm in a teacup. I always have a few days before the new tax disc turns up. Just carry on! Hardly worth the call IMO but each to their own

Except that I hadn't renewed it until 4th Jan and wouldn't have anything to display until (potentially) the 14th.

Judging by the differing opinions on here and the other side, the call was well worth making.

I'm a heads up person, not a head in the sand person.

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom