Need help adjusting door to fit

Waft

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E220 Sportline Coupe
Hiya

I have made a few attempts to get my nearside door (93 E220 Coupe) to fit so that you don't need to slam it to shut.

At present,it sits so that the window glass is too low on the roofine rubber,and wind noise is audible.Also,a small amount of water leaks in on washing her.
It still requires slamming to close fully too.:(

I have been only adjusting the striker plate so far.

Hope someone can help me to get it fitting so that it shuts properly and seals.

Thanks in advance as ever!

Steve:)

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
the striker plate will really only adjust movement of the car on a horizontal plain, i.e. into or away-from the car,

if your door is hanging down then you'll need to adjust the hinge bolts, be very careful in doing so as if you overtighten them they can snap and then the snapped bolt will need to be drilled out

i'd get a friend to help you then support the door, then loosen the bolts on the lower hinge first, get the friend to pull the door UP then tighten again.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Adjust the door with the window open to get that inline, then adjust the window for wind noise.

dog68

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V class 2.3 petrol/lpg
Hiya

I have made a few attempts to get my nearside door (93 E220 Coupe) to fit so that you don't need to slam it to shut.

At present,it sits so that the window glass is too low on the roofine rubber,and wind noise is audible.Also,a small amount of water leaks in on washing her.
It still requires slamming to close fully too.:(

I have been only adjusting the striker plate so far.

Hope someone can help me to get it fitting so that it shuts properly and seals.

Thanks in advance as ever!

Steve:)

Hi, Maybe the hinge pins are worn?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will probably have the setting up instruction that I can send you.

Re the striker plate you always set these so that the door sits 1mm proud of the door behind or the wing.

OP
Waft

Waft

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Why thankyou everybody !:D

I truly am blown away by just how friendly and helpful this forum is.
I thought Classic Audi Forum was great,this is equally great in my humble opinion.

Now I know what my Saturday morning will consist of ;)

Steve

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Lets hope that you do not have to slam the door on your way out :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You can use a piece of masking tape and stick it firmly over the door lock, close the door gently up until it touches the striker plate, open up the door and check the mark left by the striker plate on the tape.. this will let you know if the lock and striker plate are perfectly aligned .. adjust accordingly.. when you find the up and down centre line mark along both top and bottom of the striker plate with tape..
Now you have a guide , so just slide the plate in or out along that tape line for to find the perfect close line ....
Do not touch the hinges unless the swage or moulding lines are out of kilter .. if you need more info regarding the hinge alignment ..just ask...Mb hinges are adjustable in all directions, and you can end up with a headache...

OP
Waft

Waft

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Thanks mate,and yes I did err towards not touching the hinges.Previous experience on the Audi Coupe B4s I've owned taught me of the headaches.

I'll use your method,not so say I don't appreciate everyone's input.My swage lines are bang on,and that's the way I'd like it to stay.It's both doors basically,I have to slam both on the way out Malcolm :(:rolleyes:

Steve:D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom