Secrets of your Car Insurance

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
Anybody watching this on channel 4 now.
Its proving what most of us already believe about car insurers.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I have it on Sky+ for viewing at a later date

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Anybody watching this on channel 4 now.
Its proving what most of us already believe about car insurers.

Yes ..... just watched it. Approved body shops just benefit the insurer, none at all to Joe Public, & as suggested on the programme, insurers imply that you HAVE to use them - but you don't. Most insurers just feather their own nest & are crooks.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Yes ..... just watched it. Approved body shops just benefit the insurer, none at all to Joe Public, & as suggested on the programme, insurers imply that you HAVE to use them - but you don't. Most insurers just feather their own nest & are crooks.

My insurer said they would apoint me a garage to carry out my work, or if I prefered I could nominate my own repairer.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Oh missed that but I suppose it will be on 4+1 must check

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
My insurer said they would apoint me a garage to carry out my work, or if I prefered I could nominate my own repairer.

But, as on the programme, they generally imply that you HAVE to use such & such repairer or say that if you do use your own garage, you won't get any of the other benefits such as a courtesy car. I experienced similar years ago when I had a scooter stolen ..... they weren't happy when I refused to let the recovered & damaged scooter go to a storage compound miles away from me & removed it to 'my' repairer.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Just watched it on iplayer, nothing new and it's been going on a long time. The repair shop I use does very little insurance work because they drive the prices so low that there is little or no profit in it for him

deejaybee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now - W210 E320cdi
Yes, I think it is widespread.

I stopped using Carole Nash for motorcycle insurance a few years back for similar reasons. I was involved in a minor accident with a nearly new bike which was nor my fault - mostly light cosmetic damage. I contacted my nearby Suzuki Dealer who said that they could get all the parts and do the necessary repairs all for about £1000 within about 2 weeks. I passed this info on to CN and said that was route I would prefer to go but they made a right fuss about it and said that it would probably take 2-4 weeks for them to get an assessor to see the bike before they could authorise any repairs etc etc. Anyway, I gave up and let them have the bike to go off to their "central reapir facility" and they would give me a loan bike in the meantime. Six weeks later I still didn't have my bike back and the repair centre was trying to fob me off, I ended up insisting that they did my bike which they said "would inconvenience other customers by jumping the repair que"!! Got the bike back a few days later and everything was ok, but...

Found out after the event that the rental company for the loan bike was a wholly owned subsiduary of Carole Nash as was the bike repair centre. The rental charge for a crappy 3 year old Suzuki GS500 was nearly £3500 - almost the value of buying one new. No doubt the repair centre charge rate was exhorbitant as well, although I didn't see the charge for this. All of this was paid for by the other parties insurer, but in my mind blatent profiteering by CN with no attempt at all to carry out the repair at the minimum cost.

After this I told CN what I thought of them and have never used them since. I'm sure there are similar circumstances with many insurers but we don't know until something happens and we need to claim.

The sooner the whole industry is cleaned up the better (and cheaper) it will be for all of us - rant over:mad:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I did make Some of the points made by the programme in a post a few months ago and I was told by a few people on here that I was talking rubbish...
I Think that most people in the trade are aware of the underhand practises employed by the insurance companies..But if you are doing well out of an Insurance Company why blow the whistle..

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
As a related issue if you sustain an injury and are offered any type of treatment by the other sides Insurance Company, take the greatest of care and advice.
Without going into detail, the Insurance Company can and do use a loop hole in the Law to shaft you.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom