Waiting for a new Mercedes S Class

Jake48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 E Class 320cdi Estate. 2013 S Class 350 cdi
Who believes this story?

I ordered a new Merc S Class early last October 2012 from my local dealer.
I wanted quite a lot of factory fit extras on it, especially for the diesel model. Because of this, one had to be ordered from Germany. Now, I was told when I ordered it I would get it by Christmas. Mid December came and I get a phone call from the dealer saying that I would not get the car by Christmas but would get it early in January 2013.
Today, 7 Jan, I get another call saying that I should get it by the end of Jan and the reason given was that, in the salesmans words, the factory is shut until the 14 Jan so it cannot be got out until after then.
Now I know the factory only shut for a week over the Christmas period and I find it hard to belive the salesman, so I ended up saying that if the car is not on my drive on the 1 February, I will cancel the order.
What do other members think of the salesman tale?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hard to believe the story, I think you have done the right thing, I wonder what their game is at times like this. Shocking

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
The sales team at the dealerships are all full of bull$hit, once they get your deposit they will say what you want to hear. Like your choice of car, though :)

F

fivelittlefish

In my experience of MB dealers, they are very keen to sell existing cars waiting at the docks in France and much less keen to order from the factory to the spec you actually want.
I would have thought for S Class money, they would make a bit of an effort though.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I only bought it as my best friend is on his second 221, he only buys cars that have everything possible, (he is loaded) I will never use 4 doors and a more delightful car to drive I have never had, mine is 2007 and 43k miles.

Back to your problem the dealer network where you are is supposed to be the best in the UK

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Mine took 4 months in 2011, but deducting 3 or 4 weeks for Summer hols, the delivery worked out at 3+ months.

With th Christmas period, I would have thought mid January was about right.

OP
J

Jake48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Tode.
I have no problem waiting so long as I am told the truth. I WILL NOT be lied too.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Waiting is never an easy game and who knows whether the salesman knows any more than he is saying and in all fairness he has no control over the production line.

It might be better to talk to MB Milton Keynes direct, your car will be tagged with your details as it moves along the production line so a quick call to Germany should reveal all.

My son ordered a VW Scirocco in mid October and it looks like he will be lucky to see the car before the end of January, if then.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
The car and your desire to own the car are much greater and far more important than a new car salesman; however good or bad......it may not of course be the salesman who is at fault.

Regardless of where the communications have failed I would nonetheless milk it for what you can but ultimately pragmatism is the answer......in the scheme of things a few weeks will not hurt.

I agree that you should not be lied to......separate issue.....take it up the line.

Mic

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
They do have problems getting supplier-parts from time to time - last year there was a shortage of wheels. Let's just hope you get it before August ;)

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Sorry to hear of the delays. Is the salesman lying? That depends on whether you can spot your car in this photo...

ship-carrying-cars-capsizes.jpg

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think the expression is "big themselves up",
Sales people like to do this, I don't think they perceive it as lying.
Their influence over production is none existent and in reality once you have signed up they are superflous.
A webcam and text feed to the factory prompting you to watch your car roll down the line would be more useful and more interesting.
I could watch it as well !

OP
J

Jake48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I heard there are quite a few flood damaged cars for sale!!!!!!

OP
J

Jake48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update on the new car.

Phone call this morning, Tue 8th, from the salesman.
The car should be at the dealers on the 18th Jan. We will see.
Funny that after threating to cancel the order, less than 24 hrs later the dealer is giving me a date, or has someone read this thread???? Guess I will never know.
Can I thank everyone that has made a comment, some giving good advice and a couple that made me really smile.
I will be keeping a eye on this thread to see if any more comments are posted.
Thanks again.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Well as I am not getting a new S Class this year I will make do with the pictures you post ?

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
In the meantime, what's the colour?

OP
J

Jake48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the meantime, what's the colour?

As I am not a lover of washing cars, girlfriend totally refuses too as well, I went for Iridium Silver with Black interior.
Just wait now for someone to ask me to list the 13 factory extras!

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
As I am not a lover of washing cars, girlfriend totally refuses too as well, I went for Iridium Silver with Black interior.
Just wait now for someone to ask me to list the 13 factory extras!

The discrete way of posting all the extras is to ask for a Vin decode . . .

But go on then, tell all :D

(Hope he hasn't got gold taps on the jacuzzi ;) )

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom