Washer bottle concentrate - any recommendations

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I've just had to remove and clean out, due to the dreaded slime, both water bottles and interconnecting pipes. Quite a labourias job without an air hose.

To make things worse the interconnecting pipe between the resevoirs is small bore and gunges up readily. One quick visual check is that if the levels of the reservoirs differ the pipe that connects them is blocked. I think the extra reservoir was added to cars with Xenon lights only to cater for the headlight washers.

Anyway, question is, does anyone use a windscreen additive that doesn't succumb to the water in the reservoir turning into pond water within a year?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I've always used MB supplied concentrate, never had a problem.

I think the real problems come if one mixes concentrates from different sources.

Anyway MB get my vote, works well and isn't expensive. £3.99 a bottle last time I bought some a couple of weeks back.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Run a solution of Jeyes fluid through the full washer system and leave in for say a day to work its way into the accumulated gunge. Then a good second run through to each outlet to ensure all gungy solution is expelled. Then rise through with clean water.

Finally give the whole car a good rinse over to get rid of any residue off the bodywork. Works a treat.

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
run them till theyre empty before refilling instead of constantly topping them up. always worked for me and also i use ready to use screenwash from the poundshop lately!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
run them till theyre empty before refilling instead of constantly topping them up. .....

I suppose that depends on what you're topping them up with. I have a gallon container with a mix of screen wash & water that I use to top up the cars bottles - strength of wash varies with the weather. They never gunge up. ;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I suppose that depends on what you're topping them up with. I have a gallon container with a mix of screen wash & water that I use to top up the cars bottles - strength of wash varies with the weather. They never gunge up. ;)

this was a fault i first came across with the mondeo when it was launched. owners who kept the washers topped up had the gunge problem on the filter over the washer pump intake. those that ran them out (or as near as mattered) didnt seem to suffer with the problem.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Are you sure you are not suffering coolant leak from reservoir heater pipes? Small amount of glycol may cause some base for the gunge growth... Mine never gunge up either, I'm using 50% ethanol based washer fluid.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Anything that dries out means any living organic material will dye and turn crispy.
If you cant wait, just add a splash of alcohol or normal bleach.

And I mean a splash not a bucket full before people moan about damaging paintwork. This will kill any bugs as soon as they show up. :D

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I used some Savlon disinfectant that worked a treat.
I have no doubt somebody sells a little bottle of washer bottle cleaner for a dumb price.

RobWheatley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 S320CDi Auto with Toys...
I normally just get the concentrate that is in whatever garage I happen to be at (or the premix stuff IF I have to) but never mix it as they say, I always make it stronger (about 50/50.
The wash fluid I used to use is no longer made, you could really smell it but it was good for road grease and dead fly's, the newer stuff always seems to smear (worse at the right mix ratio)
There is muck in the washer bottle but that was in there when I got it and has not got any worse.
Seem to have to fill mine up every week and a half......

Tashman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W123-300D, W123-240D, 507D campervan, W210-E220CDI, W114-250
I removed my washer bottle after repeatedly having this annoying problem on my W123, scrubbed the bottle out, then descaled it, then bleached it.
Now I use expensive Autoglym screenwash, diluted with distilled water, and add 2 drops of "babies-bottle" sterilising fluid. Over-kill I know! but no problems now!

superharrio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SLK 230
I did clean my blocked lines with Mr Muscle drain unblocker. Now use occasional NaOH pellet in the wash solution to keep all the bioburden/slime at bay. :neutral:

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
...NaOH :neutral:
:shock::shock::shock: Eats metal away. Very risky, cant imagine what it does to paint also.
A few drops of alcohol or a sanitiser is all you need. Dont risk your body work with that corrosive stuff.

OP
malcolm E53 AMG

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Went for Autglym 'All weather' concentrated screen wash in the end, 2 x 500ml for £7.50 posted, off ebay as i can't be bothered to drive into MB Leicester.

Apparently MB Oxford won't post as they have designated screen wash as hazardous material, or their carrier has!! I was going to add a couple of litres to an order for service parts i require, such is life.

Zebra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI
VW screenwash is what I use in the winter. Pleasant lemon smell apparently, although I've never smelled it from inside the car. Got a box of ten 1 litre bottles from VW parts counter at local dealer. Asked for a discount - got the 10 bottles for £30!

BMW stuff is good too, economical and cheap.

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet X 2
WinterFit. Part number A 002 986 14 71 10.

Don't sniff this stuff too deeply, it WILL bring tears to eyes and have you dizzy in a flash.

Works as it should, and I'm fussy.

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
WinterFit. Part number A 002 986 14 71 10.

Don't sniff this stuff too deeply, it WILL bring tears to eyes and have you dizzy in a flash.

Works as it should, and I'm fussy.
We must have a different part number here up north as the invoice I got yesterday says Windscreen Wash A002 986 14 71 09 @ £3.33 per litre.

I must agree though, it is good stuff and I never use anything other.

FIBAMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180,C180,E300TURBO DIESEL
Run a solution of Jeyes fluid through the full washer system and leave in for say a day to work its way into the accumulated gunge. Then a good second run through to each outlet to ensure all gungy solution is expelled. Then rise through with clean water.

Finally give the whole car a good rinse over to get rid of any residue off the bodywork. Works a treat.

YEP
Jeyes is brilliant, use correct dilution or you will be smeeling it for ages.
But guarantee you wont get bird flu, swine flu or legionnaires either:lol:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I used savlon disinfectant just a spoonfull to clear things then I turned to the stuff Lidl sell in little yellow bottles highly concentrated and very very good.
Works much better than the MB stuff they put in at its service.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom