The joys of trying to ad DAB

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Been thinking for some time about adding DAB to my 216.

There is no official update retro from MB for this, so an after market it has to be.

I would have rather had a direct input via line in rather than modulated FM. I can add the Aux line in and video line in to my NGT3 comand, but the problem is that the video will blank once the car is on the move, the only one made is remote operated so not that easy to change stations while on the move.

If I did take the modulated FM route, then there is no way that I can use the line in at the same time as the radio :(

If I choose one with a line out and that has a display in the control unit there is nowhere I can place the control with station display in the CL where it can be seen unless the control goes up in the A rail at the top, and that is not so easy either.

huey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 cdi 2004 Estate
I am sure you will find a way to achieve it Malcolm:D

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
Been thinking for some time about adding DAB to my 216.

There is no official update retro from MB for this, so an after market it has to be.

I would have rather had a direct input via line in rather than modulated FM. I can add the Aux line in and video line in to my NGT3 comand, but the problem is that the video will blank once the car is on the move, the only one made is remote operated so not that easy to change stations while on the move.

If I did take the modulated FM route, then there is no way that I can use the line in at the same time as the radio :(

If I choose one with a line out and that has a display in the control unit there is nowhere I can place the control with station display in the CL where it can be seen unless the control goes up in the A rail at the top, and that is not so easy either.
Have you seen where I put the control unit in my B160? I have it at the bottom where the ashtray would be. I don't smoke, so it's not a problem for me, plus when I leave the car somewhere undesirable, I can slide it out of the cradle and hide it out of view - see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QKuaMbTCgaE#t=447s

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you seen where I put the control unit in my B160? I have it at the bottom where the ashtray would be. I don't smoke, so it's not a problem for me, plus when I leave the car somewhere undesirable, I can slide it out of the cradle and hide it out of view - see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QKuaMbTCgaE#t=447s

Thanks a million for that clip,,, I can now for the first time see how small the control unit is, How long is the cable from the control to the other part please.

This gives me some more idea's :D:D That is the only one with a sensible tuner control. It also means I can use the Aux in, rather than the modulated.

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
Thanks a million for that clip,,, I can now for the first time see how small the control unit is, How long is the cable from the control to the other part please.
Honestly can't remember. I would hazard a guess at maybe 1.5m. Might be worth emailing Pure to find out? Their website lists the dimensions of the controller as 70mm wide x 53mm high x 27mm deep.

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honestly can't remember. I would hazard a guess at maybe 1.5m. Might be worth emailing Pure to find out? Their website lists the dimensions of the controller as 70mm wide x 53mm high x 27mm deep.

Thank you, I suppose I can always extend it if I chose to fit the controller up into the spectacle compartment.

I will Email them in the new year and get the Aux in lead ordered from MB, and add the video in cable as well just in case I need it sometime.

Lilian still knows all the songs from the 70's so "Absolute 70's" it will be from now on.

Halfords seem to be the only ones selling this model so far, maybe things will open up a bit in the new year, thank you very much for your help on this :D:D

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
You can buy the same unit labelled alpine ezi dab or similar which is not through halfrauds

See link http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/16570.html

I have been thinking of one for mine, it's just currently the power element I need to rewire for too many plug ins ( dashcam recorder, phones etc....)

I like it make the option to connect my iPhone etc up as mine doesn't have a connector and I will only have it another 12 months before I have to sell so fixed accessories aren't worth it.

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you, I am getting old and forgot this one :D I will go ahead in the new year

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Sorry to be nosey, don't you have a digital tv tuner hooked up still?
On mine i can switch between tv and radio, yours may well do the same.
Even if the command blanks the screen when driving, you would still hear the audio.
Just a thought...

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I do have TV, but the Radio channels are not the same ones as on DAB :( and again as the screen blanks when driving changing stations is impossible, also band 5 is much more susceptible to loss of signal than band 3.

I annoys me that MB could not make a DAB tuner for car before 2009, there is one out there that wires in via the CAN, but that is only for the NGT2.5 and not the 3 :( This problem also applies to the 221 from 2006 to 2009.

I know what will happen, just 24 hours after I install one, one made for the car will come along :D

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are too new and loads of firms flogging off the old version cheap

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Going back to post 1..

Would it not be possible to enable video in motion for a legitimate reason in this case so you could utilise the aux?

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Going back to post 1..

Would it not be possible to enable video in motion for a legitimate reason in this case so you could utilise the aux?

I would need to plug the car into my STAR and activate it to see what it says, in the retro fit video cable connection it warns that the screen will blank, maybe I should plug STAR in and see what is there,,thank you :D

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had some more thoughts while sitting in the bathroom today, turned on my WIS and looked at the add on options, low and behold I can add an ipod with a video display that will not blank, so what I can do now is to activate all the options that I have and see what screens stay on while driving, then just get the lead for that device :D:D

I saw the Pure today and it is tiny and very nice.

With luck I might get it installed while DAB is still broadcasting :D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Have you looked at this? it shows as fitting all CL's from 1997 onwards, although I'd take that with a pinch of salt. The system said my 1992 Land Rover had ISO connectors, which of course it didn't, but it wasn't exactly challenging to make up the necessary connectors for that.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
According to that it even fits mine! And they can fit it for £29..... Not sure i would trust them to do that though... But does this do true DAB?

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cannot find my CL on the list, so I have Email them to be sure

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom